Conformation for dummies?

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby Malli » February 22nd, 2006, 1:54 pm

Ok, I know nothing. I understand that a dog's feet should not be too turned in or turned out, the neck shouldn't be too long or short, same for the back, and the ears should fit the standard.... but I don't understand the terms... stacking? back line? etc? I'm sure there must be other people who don't know who are curious? :|

thanks!

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Romanwild » February 22nd, 2006, 5:06 pm

I would reccomend George Alstons book. I don't recall the name right now. It seems to be the bible of confirmation.

It's not hard but like anything else you need to practice and make sure your dog enjoys it.

A stack is when you position the dog in such a way that his feet are straight and are straight down from the shoulders. The back legs should be set so that the bottom part of the leg is straight up and down in order to show proper angulation. I noticed that if you do that then everything else falls into place.

It's handy to teach your dog the stand command as well as stay.

Therese will have some good advice for you.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 22nd, 2006, 6:25 pm

Easiest way to learn is to check out http://www.apbtconformation.com and also start attending shows and ask questions. Most people are very willing to help newbies.

Toes should point straight forward if they turn out the dog is called easty westy

I believe you mean Topline which is the line along the dogs back which should be slightly sloping not roached or saddle backed

Stacking is the way the dog naturally stands or is positioned in a particular way to show off the structure. Charles described it pretty much. You can see pics and get more descriptions on the link I gave you

Here is a picture of Patcheeno 'Free Stacked' at a show in MD
meaning I didn't touch him or position him that was naturally how he stacked himself
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » February 23rd, 2006, 2:31 am

hmm, thanks ! :)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 23rd, 2006, 9:06 pm

Let me know if you need anything else! :P
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Conformation