An English Bulldog breeder said . . .

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby SisMorphine » July 31st, 2007, 10:00 pm

. . . that bulldogs have to have a certain level of hip dysplasia . . . so that they can swin.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » July 31st, 2007, 11:43 pm

um what?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » August 1st, 2007, 12:03 am

Huh?

I just flashed on a toy I had as a kid. It was some kind of puppy thing that you pulled in the water & all of it's legs went around in circles like it was paddling. Maybe that is what he means LMAO
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » August 1st, 2007, 6:31 am

My friend runs Long Island (English) Bulldog Rescue.

http://www.longislandbulldogrescue.org/

(That's all I can add. :wink: )
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » August 1st, 2007, 10:18 am

On July 31 2007, SisMorphine wrote:. . . that bulldogs have to have a certain level of hip dysplasia . . . so that they can swin.

SWIN? Swim? Swing?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 1st, 2007, 10:19 am

On August 01 2007, iluvk9 wrote:My friend runs Long Island (English) Bulldog Rescue.

Swamped with rescues?? Wow. I know many people who'd give their right arm for an English Bulldog, esp. a rescued one...!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 1st, 2007, 12:31 pm

swim . . . sorry
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby luvmypitties » August 1st, 2007, 3:09 pm

Thats very interesting. I have never heard of that before.

And I want a bulldog. They are so stinking adorable with all the wrinkles and everything!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 1st, 2007, 3:19 pm

A co-worker of mine took home an EB, it drowned in an irrigation pond, from what I can understand, they cannot swim at all, or barely...!??
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 1st, 2007, 3:46 pm

That's what I was thinking... That's a large body, and some little legs, common sense would be that they would have a hard time swimming. Dogs swim with their legs, not their hips. I'd love to hear her explanation as to how it could benefit them in anyway to have dysplasia in any form.... That's just pure stupid.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » August 1st, 2007, 10:49 pm

ya French Bulldog Rescue Network says frenchies can't swim either, so I doubt its a stretch to say that English Bulldogs can't. However, I don't think HD has anything to do with swimming...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » August 1st, 2007, 10:53 pm

Seriously, I was just as perplexed as you were . . . but since I was at work all I could do was smile with a lot of effort and walk away.

I have only ever heard horror stories of EBs trying to swim. And that hip dysplasia is purposely bred in so that they can do so? I'm so confused . . .
SisMorphine

Postby Malli » August 1st, 2007, 11:00 pm

thats a load of crap. NO ONE in their right mind would purposely breed in Hip Displaysia into any breed, it is a degenerative disease all will progress until the hip joint and the socket no longer fit together, some of the xrays I've see of severe cases have been awful :( It can and does end dog's lives...
Anyone who understands HD (hopefully a BREEDER) would know that there is no benefit to a dog having it!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby KJS » August 7th, 2007, 11:48 am

HELLOOOOOOO you could of just asked me! I do happen to own 2 of these dogs myself you know :greenWave: ....we know for a fact that Snoop can not swim...mainly because he makes no effort to and simply sinks like a brick...Cym can swim but she does not like the water all around her ...neither of mine have shown any signs of Hip Displaysia at all( thank Dog!)...I do know that many many Bulls can swim and we saw this with our own eyes when we went to the Bulldog Day in Scheveningen NL a couple of years back...hundreds of bulls on the beach and in the sea swimming away...what a sight to see!!!!French Bulldogs were there too and they certainly can swim..like little power boats compared to the ocean liners of slower swimming Bulls

I can believe those people are swamped with Bulls there..they seem to have most listed as not to go with other dogs or kids...well you are ruling out a lot of potential adopters right there...and I can bet you that if I put in an application I would be turned down ...yet I can for sure take care of a Bull properly...Snoop is 9.5 years old..I am doing something right!

I understand that not everyone is capable of looking after a Bull and some people get them without realizing just how much you need to do for them...and I realize that adoption procedures have to be followed...but these places need to recognize when it is appropriate to make exceptions to these rules ....
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby KJS » August 7th, 2007, 11:55 am

On August 01 2007, 5:31 AM, iluvk9 wrote:My friend runs Long Island (English) Bulldog Rescue.

Ya know I am SO tempted to write to your friends there and see why they seem to think that you cant re- train a bulldog...do they need some help there? :| ..all this poo poo about no dogs and no kids...well Snoop didn't like them either and he has come to accept 5 other dogs and 5 kids...its not mission impossible ...
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 7th, 2007, 2:06 pm

This bulldog can swim. I think he is an OEB thouugh

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » August 7th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Thats really cute!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » August 7th, 2007, 8:15 pm

On August 07 2007, 1:06 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:This bulldog can swim. I think he is an OEB thouugh

Well DUH! That's Orson the OEB and he rocks and can do anything :D
SisMorphine

Postby iluvk9 » August 7th, 2007, 8:29 pm

On August 07 2007, KJS wrote:Ya know I am SO tempted to write to your friends....

Go right ahead. Pretend we never met. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Patch O' Pits » August 9th, 2007, 9:28 am

On July 31 2007, SisMorphine wrote:. . . that bulldogs have to have a certain level of hip dysplasia . . . so that they can swin.

Hmmmm.... I wonder what he would add about heart defects to that statement :shock:

Poor dogs :(
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Conformation