Teach me Please!

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby kobe24 » October 4th, 2007, 3:19 pm

If you show people don't mind i would like to pick your brain lol

I've picked up just about every thing i can find on pitbulls am/staffs apbt's and have been reading everything!

My questions i have for you are how to pick the best puppy. What should i be looking for?

Now i can pick the best labrador or chihuahua out of a litter, and i know how to pick apart the poor babies entire body but what do i look for in pits?

thanks
kobe24
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » October 4th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Find the closest reputable pit bull rescue near you and have them help you pick one that needs a good home :D
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby ellie@ny » October 4th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Well if you really know the standard,then you have to know what to look for?! :|
This site is great: http://www.apbtconformation.com/ ,it shows the whole structure of the APBT,with pictures,tell you what's bad-what's good.
Also there is a video-dvd called Puppy puzzle : http://www.dogfolk.com/puppypuzzlevideo.htm (It's on sale now)
It tells you,show you everything you have to know.It's funny cause in the video,they evaluate an AST litter :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby maberi » October 4th, 2007, 6:15 pm

On October 04 2007, maberi wrote:Find the closest reputable pit bull rescue near you and have them help you pick one that needs a good home :D

Sorry I just read your info and saw that you are buying from a breeder. Can't blame a guy for trying :|
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby kobe24 » October 4th, 2007, 8:31 pm

thank you ellie for that link, it is wonderful and exactly what i was looking for! I mean i have read the standard, but i guess i was just looking for more of an extended version.
kobe24
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 4th, 2007, 8:55 pm

On October 04 2007, ellie@ny wrote:Well if you really know the standard,then you have to know what to look for?! :|
This site is great: http://www.apbtconformation.com/ ,it shows the whole structure of the APBT,with pictures,tell you what's bad-what's good.
Also there is a video-dvd called Puppy puzzle : http://www.dogfolk.com/puppypuzzlevideo.htm (It's on sale now)
It tells you,show you everything you have to know.It's funny cause in the video,they evaluate an AST litter :)
I agree. Also the breeeder should be able to go through all the steps of the eval with you if you ask them to. When buying from a breeder you need to make sure you totally trust them because they should be there for you and the pup for the life of the pup if you have any questions or need help IMO. Does the breeder you are getting the pup from show ?

Another great eval tool is the Vohlard puppy aptitutde test

Show pups should walk around like their poop doesn't stink and be extremely confident on top of meeting closely to the standard.

Take a look at the threads on puppy puzzle on the forum
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby kobe24 » October 4th, 2007, 10:21 pm

okay just to kinda clear things up.....

I wouldn't say im getting my puppy from a "breeder" This is more of an "accidental" breeding. My boyfriends mom(debbi) owns the dam(sienna), and his brother co owns the sire (cain)with his breeder. Sienna was scheduled to be spayed, and debbi got really sick and was admitted to the hospital, and while in the hospital sienna started her heat. My boyfriends brother being irresponsible let the dogs together accidently.

Debbi was sooo upset, and took her to the vet to see if the puppies could be aborted and the vet didn't reccomend it, so here we are..

funny thing is 3 weeks ago my dream puppy was born a staffordshire bull terrier. i had a deposit on him and everything. But now i had to back out of it, because dustin wants one of cains puppies.

GRRRR i really wanted a staffy (no offense to anyone)

Cain comes from a very nice line. I have glanced over his pedigree, but i don't have a copy of it yet. He is registered with the UKC and apba
Sienna is also a very nice dog.

im not sure if i will be doing conformation or not. I have only shown AKC. So im not sure yet, but i would at least like the best puppy in case i do want to show.

Cain's breeder is understandbly Raging mad. I would be too. this should of never happened. She is allowing the litter to be registered only so i can get my puppy registered, but the others are ineligable for registration.

I have VERY strong eithics when it comes to breeding, and i hold my values and opinions very highly. I really do not agree with this breeding, but at the same time i can not change what happened, and my boyfriend really wants one of the puppies because he things so highly of cain and sienna, and since cain is getting older, he wants his offspring.

Both dogs came from a good breeder- I don't believe they conform to the standard 100% but they conform enough to be showable.- I would of not bred them . If i show the puppy it will just be for fun. I wouldn't stud him.
kobe24
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 5th, 2007, 7:36 am

Ok then I suggest you order or rent puppy puzzle offline if you are set on one of these pups so you can learn what to look for. It ios a GREAT tool. At 8 weeks or very close to 8 weeks the pup will have the structure he will have as an adult unless he is the runt or sickly then the eval will not work

You can also see if a breeder or show person in your area can help you eval

You can post stacked picts here when they are that age and I'll gladly help and I'm sure others will too.

Just curious are they making you pay for the pup since it was an oppppps breeding?

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby kobe24 » October 5th, 2007, 4:59 pm

No i dont have to pay for the puppy, so its a good deal for us. Its my boyfriends moms dogs, so obviously she isnt going to make us pay for the puppies lol I did tell her that i would pay for the litter to have the dew claws removed, because i want my puppy to have them removed and since i obviously won't know what puppy i will end up with i figure i'll just take all the boys in to have them done.

She is not really charging that much for the rest of the puppies, she has interviewed a couple of people who are interested, she just wants to make sure they are going to loving homes and will be taken care of so she is keeping the prices very reasonable and affordable for a working family.

I will definetly take some stacked photos when they are growing and see what you guys think, that would be wonderful!
kobe24
Just Whelped

Postby gayrghts » October 5th, 2007, 6:19 pm

On October 05 2007, 3:59 PM, kobe24 wrote:No i dont have to pay for the puppy, so its a good deal for us. Its my boyfriends moms dogs, so obviously she isnt going to make us pay for the puppies lol I did tell her that i would pay for the litter to have the dew claws removed, because i want my puppy to have them removed and since i obviously won't know what puppy i will end up with i figure i'll just take all the boys in to have them done.

She is not really charging that much for the rest of the puppies, she has interviewed a couple of people who are interested, she just wants to make sure they are going to loving homes and will be taken care of so she is keeping the prices very reasonable and affordable for a working family.

I will definetly take some stacked photos when they are growing and see what you guys think, that would be wonderful!

Just a thought on the dew claw removal....
to save you some... you might just want to wait and have it done when you have him neutered.... that's what i'd done with mine....

oh, if you're "showing" does he have to remain intact?

if so, be very aware of aggression issues that may crop up as he gets into 9 mths - 15 mths of age.... adolescents
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 5th, 2007, 7:09 pm

I would not wait to do the dew claws if you want them done and are helping her do the whole litter it should be done on around day 2-3.

oh, if you're "showing" does he have to remain intact?
If you show in conformation, YES, and even if you don't plan on breeding.
For strictly working dogs, NO, they don't have to be intact

No i dont have to pay for the puppy, so its a good deal for us. Its my boyfriends moms dogs, so obviously she isnt going to make us pay for the puppies
It sounds like she is trying to do the right thing.

You'd be surprised of all the opppps litter that people want big$$$$ for and also being related doesn't always mean anything

If you go on my website there is a puppy questionnaire if she wants to use it help screen new owners, she can copy the info

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby kobe24 » October 9th, 2007, 3:56 pm

My plan is to have the dewclaws done around 2 or 3 days. I have never actually heard of people waiting to get them done when they were neutered.... hmmm

I used to work at a vet and was the one who held all the puppies when they did the dew claws and tail docking. :( poor babies. But i just personally like the look of a dog w/o dew claws.

If the puppy doesn't shape up to be show quality then i will definetly get him neutered. i will probably make that decision at about 9 months. Unless he has major faults, then i'll get him snipped at 6 months lol

Thank you for offering your questionare for us to use. My grandma who use to breed labs actually gave her a bunch of stuff. She gave her a list of questions and some sample contracts, along with some other handouts and a whelping box!! But i will look over your material and see if there is anything we are missing- you can never screen too much!

i am just sooo excited for the puppies to be born!! I will be going out there tomorrow so i will try and snap some photos of mom and dad.
kobe24
Just Whelped

Postby kobe24 » October 11th, 2007, 3:45 pm

here is a picture of daddy.

this is cain and cypress

i didnt get any pictures of mommy yet
kobe24
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 11th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Oh they're gorgeous! :heartbeat:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 11th, 2007, 7:23 pm

The Daddy is handsome

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmypitties » October 13th, 2007, 7:31 pm

They are good looking dogs! The female is beautiful!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Jenn » October 13th, 2007, 9:09 pm

They are both nice looking dogs.
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmypitties » October 13th, 2007, 9:30 pm

I think I meant Cain not the female... i am a bit slow... sorry
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby gayrghts » October 13th, 2007, 11:45 pm

Who's cypress? and how does he fit into this mix?

Cain is the dad... the darker tan one right?

re the dew claws.... i've had my dogs dew claws removed when spay/neutered if they are loose hanging and look like they will get caught on things etc....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Return to Conformation