ears

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby mkiley » December 25th, 2007, 9:37 am

We have a 4 month old female whose right ear has fallen to the front. Her left ear still stands up. We never got them cropped b/c we have no intensions of showing her. We also have a 1 & 1/2 yr old male whose ears were never cropped either and they are both about perfect. Could this be genetics. It doesn;t seem to have been hurt b/c she never favored it. Any enlightenment on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mkiley
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 25th, 2007, 10:37 am

Yes it is genetics.
Also during growth spurts puppies often get funky ears so it may be partly due to that at the moment given her age. They could possibly go to perfect ears after the growth spurt if she has a proper ear set.

If you are planning on showing not so perfect ears are only a minor fault and do nothing to hurt a dogs athletic performance or workability

You can try gluing or taping them if it bothers you and you want them to conform more with the standard

I love natural ears no matter how they go :)

Good luck with your pup

Happy Howl~n~days !!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » December 25th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Here is some more info about gluing and taping ears:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16868
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby luvmypitties » December 26th, 2007, 1:10 am

Our puppy Roscoe's ears were all over the place when he was young, they were both flopped forward at one point and now one is perfect the other is still folded forward. But their ears change so much as they grow... its always a surprise with pitbulls!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby hzumstein » December 26th, 2007, 4:57 pm

I wondered about that also because one of my females had almost perfect ears and about a month ago one was standing straight up and mind you it was long looking ear standing up. Well know she is five months old and they are floppy like hound dog ears. Who knows what they will do next but I am all about natural ears, so I don't really care.
The Zumsteins: Toby, Heather, Toby-Allen, Ellie-Grace, Diesel, Hope, Stormy, Daisy & Lou Lou.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 26th, 2007, 5:20 pm

On December 26 2007, hzumstein wrote:I wondered about that also because one of my females had almost perfect ears and about a month ago one was standing straight up and mind you it was long looking ear standing up. Well know she is five months old and they are floppy like hound dog ears. Who knows what they will do next but I am all about natural ears, so I don't really care.
LOL perfectly normal crazy puppy ear stages LOL :wink:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mkiley » December 26th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Thanks for posts. Now that we know its normal we aren;t worried about it. We are also all about natural ears and it definitely gives her even more character........
mkiley
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » December 27th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Justice's ears were ALL over her head when she was younger. Sometimes, they still do funky stuff. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » December 28th, 2007, 8:31 am

I personally don't see any problem fixing a natural ear.
I know in EU they usually just fold the ears into the right position and put a piece of tape around it.I think you have to do this from 2-3 months till like 7 months for the best results.It doesn't bother the dog,and it's not coming off easy.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby furever_pit » August 6th, 2009, 7:55 pm

My pup's ears are doing the crazy shapes thing too. He is an American Bulldog and I would prefer a button ear over a rose ear so I am definitely considering taping them. We'll see.

But, yeah, perfectly normal.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » August 10th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Ok, all ears go wacky during teething process....

8 weeks old

15 weeks old

now
I wasn't sure what her ears would look like, every dog from the breeder had cropped ears.

14 weeks old Ryder on left

now

Be patient, the ears are always goofy and you never know what they'll look like until after done teething. They're cuter with goofy ears!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Conformation