the stack

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby mnp13 » April 6th, 2006, 9:48 pm

How do you teach a dog to go from the 'gait' to the stack? Forget the free stack, I can't get the monster to hold still for ten seconds on his own.

and I've been using treats to teach other commands, so when the women teaching the class went to look at his teeth he went looking for treats and nibbled on thier hands...

he's lucky he's cute or I'd shoot him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » April 6th, 2006, 11:17 pm

I don't know that one.

I would hand stack him.

I know you didn't teach the stay command but that's what works with Dreyfus when I stack him. It helps when the check the bite too.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Hoyden » April 6th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Can you give a verbal command when someone is going to look at his teeth?

I do the teeth check with Birdie - just because - and say "Toofers" to her and she knows that I am checking teeth and putting hands in her mouth, so she doesn't look for a treat. (We borrowed the Gremlin's word for the command)
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby olympianAB » April 7th, 2006, 12:23 am

my boy when stacked is fine till they umm...go see if he's "male"... then he tries to sit on the judges hand..but it's time and patients..and alot of people doing it..

I do know w my shwoing, the judge has let me reposition apollo when he moves..but he's 11months old only..still in the puppy show ring..once we get to champ ring we have a LOT of work to do..
olympianAB
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 7th, 2006, 7:39 am

mnp13 wrote:How do you teach a dog to go from the 'gait' to the stack? Forget the free stack, I can't get the monster to hold still for ten seconds on his own.

and I've been using treats to teach other commands, so when the women teaching the class went to look at his teeth he went looking for treats and nibbled on thier hands...

he's lucky he's cute or I'd shoot him.

You are probably doing this already but just incase you aren't

try this... hope it makes sense to you

As you are getting closer to the point where you want him to free stack slow down the gate gradually I have to tell Samurai easy

then if you want to use bait try to keep it in your mouth so the dog will focus up towards you first

step out to the side of the dog... your body facing into him say whatever you have chosen for your command

ie:
stack and then from there teach a step command if needed where the dog will step toward whatever direction you are baiting and coaxing him to go

you will mot likely have to physically move him to the exact positioning first as you would in a regular stack if he is wiggly or doesn't seem to understand what you are asking him to do.

I feel your pain as Samurai although he will stack beautifully still thinks as soon as the judge walks over it is p-a-r-t-y time and doen't quite get that he needs to stay stilll ( I'm a softy on him though too) LOL

:wink:

I'll post more later; time for work
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby rottgrl » April 8th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I know in UKC, the judge is not permitted to examine the bite themselves....you lift the lips to show the bite. So, this is what we work on first, using the command "teeth". Once they are real good and steady with that, then we ask them to stand while we show the teeth, using the stand command.

Even if I am showing in AKC with the Rotties, I will watch for the judge to approach and then lift the lips so the judge doesn't have to touch my dog. Ijust don't like the idea of them putting their hands on my dogs mouth after they have been touching all the other dogs. I have not had a problem with an AKC judge not allowing me to show the bite rather than them.

For teaching the dog to go from gaiting to stack, when we are approaching the spot to stop, I also give the easy command, and a hand signal, similar to the stand command signal. Many times I will grab the muzzle, give them a little kiss or whisper in the ear, then begin stacking the front.

It just takes a lot of patience and training to get the to figure out the conformation ring....but they do get it, and when they get it they become really confident ...lthen watch out! LOL

Hope that helps a little!

Stephanie
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby Mike A. » April 11th, 2006, 10:54 am

what is a stack? don't laugh at me... All I do is obidence and personal protection work....
Mike A.
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 11:05 am

The 'pose' that your dog does when they are being looked over by the judge. You want them in the best position to show off their conformation.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Mike A. » April 11th, 2006, 11:35 am

Listen my Pit is u.k.c reg. they have confirmation show out right. How do I find out wre their at?
Mike A.
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 11:37 am

check out http://www.ukcdogs.com/index.html to find shows in your area.

I am planning to get into conformation and weight pull with Riggs.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Mike A. » April 15th, 2006, 11:36 am

wre is the one you are going to? Oh, are you still doing bite with him? If you can send some pics, both of him and frostbite 2006. How is everyone including Demodick lol..... I send my regards and blessing to you guys.

Be Bless,

Mike A.
Mike A.
Just Whelped

Return to Conformation