Wierd Rear Leg Set Up (??)

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby ellie@ny » June 15th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Malli wrote:thanks JC :)

Does he have the hind leg thing you were talking about?

ellie, did you mean you can't see MY pics?

Nope, the dog in the question! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2006, 5:19 pm

JCleve86 wrote:
Malli wrote:JC:

Do you mean that the hind legs look longer then the front legs? Or look like they are too far back along the torso?

Malli

I mean that it looks like they are "put on" too far back on the torso...closer to the rear than the normal hip region I guess? I dunno...I could be totally off base but there's just something about his rear (lol) that looks funny.

It could also be (didn't check his history) that I've noticed game dogs tend to have a more frequent occurance of oddly long torsos (as they are not bred for LOOKS). Not sure if this is a selective trait that benefits them during fighting (more agility maybe?), but I had noticed...and maybe that just makes his rear look funny? Dunno. SOMEBODY has to see it too!!! (Not suggesting this guy is fought OR that he came from tested parents, but rather that he might have some game blood down the line...again I didn't check his ped so I don't know off the top of my head)

Not that I'm any conformation expert, but it looks like his hipbones are almost attached to his tail bone, which makes his whole rear area look a bit off-balanced.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » June 15th, 2006, 5:44 pm

perhaps his hip joint muscles are just a bit on the small side??
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Carla » July 8th, 2006, 4:40 pm

The red dog has terribly straight rear angulation. It's so straight - like a board - it's propping up the rear part of the dog. I would say this dog is not a very good mover - he probably just bounces up and down in the rear like a pogo stick effect. Lack of angulation means less area to hang muscle on, so it is a weaker rear.

The brindle dog is not much better; and he appears to be goose-rumped - too MUCH slope to the pelvis- too much dropoff down to the tail set. These kinds of dogs don't move very well either, as they have a hard time extending their rear legs behind them.

There needs to be a balance on this low tail-set thing. You want some tilt of the pelvis to allow for agility (getting feet up underneath the dog), but not too much, which would hinder the dog in moving efficiently from place to place.

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 8th, 2006, 8:09 pm

LOL You know I had to join that forum just to see the dang picts of this dog because I couldn't seem to get them up
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Previous

Return to Conformation