interest

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby luvmypitties » November 19th, 2006, 12:31 am

I am interested in showing confirmation. I have some question though concerning my male. How will he be with an intact female if she comes in season. also how do you go about training for them? And I dont even know where to begin to get a good looking dog. I only do rescue and feel bad about 'buying' a dog when there are ones being put to sleep but i am interested in all that stuff. Any help??
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » November 20th, 2006, 12:20 am

If you don't want to buy a dog, I'd suggest putting your name in with a few responsible breeders. They occasionally get returns and look for new homes for the dogs.

Females in heat are not allowed on show grounds, but even still, you should teach your dog to behave no matter what dog is around.

I went to a trial where they allowed a female in heat to pee all over the field. The thought was that your dog needs to obey no matter where you are or what is around. You can't stop a female in heat from walking past you on the sidewalk, so you need your dog to be under control.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » November 20th, 2006, 7:06 pm

well my male doesn't go anywhere, not on walks or anything. He stays in the house and goes out to go potty and thats it. He does take trips to the vet but is easily controlled in a sit due to the fact that he is blind. He has never been around an intact female since I have had him and I am just not sure how he would react to it, especially with me having a third dog in the house. Do you think he would show aggression to the female in season but to me spayed female in i guess attempts to guard the female in season?

Is there a breeder locator that I could look through? I am in Northern Va and the only breeder here is one I have gotten a pup from before that breeds only for color and culls the badly marked ones. ( I have been trying to close her down but nothing can be done... stupid counties!!!) Anyways so I was just curious about how to find someone who breeds quality dogs in VA or surrounding areas!

And I appreciate everyone's help as I am new to this aspect of the breed
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby bouvierz » November 23rd, 2006, 11:41 am

On November 19 2006, mnp13 wrote:If you don't want to buy a dog, I'd suggest putting your name in with a few responsible breeders. They occasionally get returns and look for new homes for the dogs.
:goodStuff:

That is how I got "Raina" and I dont feel guilty because I didnt get a dog from a rescue. I still gave an unwanted dog a home. I got to meet her mom, dad, sister and her brother and I have pictures of Raina as a pup.It was an neat expierence and I still have contact with the breeder. My dogs family are titled in OB, Confirmation, and herding. There are alot of good adults out there if you do your homework. Good luck :D
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » November 26th, 2006, 8:16 pm

On November 18 2006, luvmypitties wrote:I am interested in showing confirmation. I have some question though concerning my male. How will he be with an intact female if she comes in season. also how do you go about training for them? And I dont even know where to begin to get a good looking dog. I only do rescue and feel bad about 'buying' a dog when there are ones being put to sleep but i am interested in all that stuff. Any help??

If he is neutered it isn't that big of a deal. Females hoever can get a bit
Bi##hy during that time.

Even if the other dogs around are spay nuetered in your home it is best to keep everyone seperated during the heat. Hormones sometimes cause problems

Training during heat is no big deal if it is for conformation. You can show a dog in heat

If you are doing weight pull, agility or obedience it is polite to train at home during that time or take a short break from training for a couple of weeks.

Thanks goodness heat cycles only come about every 6 momths. They are a pain

You just learn to deal with it.

My intact boys whine and cry for the week the girls are receptive. It drives me a little crazy, I have to say. But, it isn't for that long
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmypitties » November 27th, 2006, 7:53 pm

I will keep them seperate when my female goes in season 9when I get one...lol). I kind of figured I would have to do that. Working around the cycle wont be too hard i dont think. I dont plan on having her intact for too long. I would just like to get a title or something. See what I can do with her. Get more good publicity out there for the breed here because right now it is bad. I am sad that my 2 arent good candidates for that or I would try the same with them since they are both rescues.

Again I thank you for all the help you guys have given me.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » November 27th, 2006, 9:38 pm

With the exception of conformation, you can participate in all UKC events with your dog if it is altered. If the dog can pass for a pure bred, you can participate in any AKC events as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » November 29th, 2006, 1:29 pm

That is all great but my 2 rescues are not good candidates for doing anything extra. My female was traumatized when she was a pup from abuse and neglect so we are still working on her social skills. and my male is blind so he doesnt do much of anything and is stubborn beyond belief... he wont even go out the back door anymore!!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Conformation