Natural ears and showing

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 27th, 2006, 10:11 am

So, not to take away from the other post in the gallery, I'm posting this here again

On December 27 2006, luvmypitties wrote:I asked everyone at that show about the standards and how natural ears are preferred. everyone said yes but cropped seemed to always win....
Not true... LOL if they would have more uncropped dogs in the ring they would be winning more. I was told Patcheeno would have a harder time finishing being a red nose first off then add to that him being a male w/ uncropped ears. It is a bunch of bull IMO.
Patcheeno CH very quickly and so did all my others and all have natural ears.

Here is another example of what I mean:
The day Steel got his last GRCH leg there were I believe 17 or more other CHs in the ring and only two others in the ring were uncropped; not because they don't win but because there were no other uncropped dogs at the show. That same day Samurai was the only uncropped class dog and he took Best male and Sock-M won her class and was the only female class dog with uncropped ears

Also a two time winning UKC National GRCH "Willow" is an uncropped dog. There are many uncropped dogs with titles

There are judges who prefer cropped and most are used to seeing that but I have also had judges say outright they wish more dogs should with natural ears. Judges will always have personal feelings on it just like the owners, but IMO they really should be going off of what the standard says and not just what personal oppinions are...

It should be the total dog getting looked at and not just whether ears are done or not, and a good judge knows that

LOL OT my pet peeve in the standard is that ears of any kind are penalized against especially since anyone can just crop them off if they don't like how they looks thus you'd never know what the original ear set was like. I've seen some dogs with horrible crops in the ring and they are not penalized for that yet if the ears were natural and not perfect that would be a fault. What sense does that make??????

oops forgot to add. I'm not against cropping; I think it is a personal choice and shouldn't be pushed on people just because they want to show. Ironically most who comment on the ears having to be croped to show have never shown an uncropped dog if you notice though LOL
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 10:49 am

I see where you are coming from... with only 3 uncropped dogs there I guess the cropped dogs have more a chance to win and thats why I was told that cropped seems to win more. I like natural ears. Gives the dogs so much more personality. I do like cropped too, gives the dogs a sophisticated look.

I was also told that females can pull off having natural ears better than males. The whole time I am thinking Patcheeno in my head!!

With the colors I was told that any tan, fawn, blue fawn, and red do the best in shows. Brindle does the worst. Then in AKC red is your choice of color. I asked about black and was told they would do ok in UKC but would have to be kept up with. (for gleeming coat) Kind of made me nervous about getting into this kind of stuff with my future puppy. with the whole ears and color thing :|

I guess I am not sure what to believe or where to go from here in making my puppy choices, I am sure it will be whatever I like and then the puppy will do how ever. I am not going to be upset or anything if she doesnt win or anything like that. Some people got so mad at the show when they didnt win. no praise for the dogs if they just did ok.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 27th, 2006, 11:46 am

Color doesn't matter either. People are crazy. Of course what there is more of will win more often. Right now their are so many blue fawns and dilutes in the ring; it is sad IMO. Their need to be more blacks, reds and brindles to keep the good pigment. Actually on another forum all the people were complaining about how not that many people are worrying about the pigment and more and more you hear of skin issues now also popping up.

Patcheeno is also brindle LOL

Steel is my male and a GRCH.

Bobbie Moorehouse and Beth Jones in CT show all natural eared dogs and have all CH and GRCHs. Bobbie has also produced many brindles in her breedings that are titled

Michelle's Riggs I believed is titled or close to it and is a natural eared male and also is brindle

When the time comes that you are ready for a pup, I'll gladly help you with any questions you may have and if I don't know the answers I'll direct you to someone who can

You are right it can be confusing and some spew their personal preferences or feelings as fact which doesn't help

I am not going to be upset or anything if she doesnt win or anything like that. Some people got so mad at the show when they didnt win. no praise for the dogs if they just did ok.
I HATE that. Poor sportsmanship makes me ill and looks bad for the breed. Showing should be fun for both handler and dog win or lose or they shouldn't be in the ring. Unfortunately I've seen that and the two faced BS that goes on as well. Not everyone is like that.

I always make my dogs think they won no matter what as they are always winners to me. Shaking someone's hand who beats you and or at least congratulating them is just common curtousy , but not all feel that way I guess. Sometimes The kids in the ring actually are better sports than the adults.

I'm sorry you had to see the bad part instead of the good of showing
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on December 27th, 2006, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » December 27th, 2006, 11:46 am

Riggs has radar ears and is white with brindle patches. He finished his CH in 6 shows. (would have finished sooner, but I was a new show ring handler with serious stacking problems!)

In my opinion, natural should be rewarded as crops hide the ears that are passed on genetically.

I think just about any Pit Bull's looks can be enhanced with the right crop job.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 27th, 2006, 11:47 am

On December 27 2006, mnp13 wrote:Riggs has radar ears and is white with brindle patches. He finished his CH in 6 shows. (would have finished sooner, but I was a new show ring handler with serious stacking problems!)

In my opinion, natural should be rewarded as crops hide the ears that are passed on genetically.
Exactly my feelings on it

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 2:29 pm

I will have to learn on how to stack but I am hoping my good friend Therese will help me with that!!!!

I would personally like to get a black puppy. My boyfriend and I love the look of the black. We have two fawns and would like a change of scenery but again I probably wont be picky when i see their cute wrinkly faces. I will probably keep ears. My boyfriend and I both agree we like that look better. I am also going to be using the pup as a therapy dog and natural ears dont make them look so intimidating.

So we will see how I will do when I get my pup... not for a while yet!
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 27th, 2006, 3:31 pm

On December 27 2006, luvmypitties wrote:I will have to learn on how to stack but I am hoping my good friend Therese will help me with that!!!!

I would personally like to get a black puppy. My boyfriend and I love the look of the black. We have two fawns and would like a change of scenery but again I probably wont be picky when i see their cute wrinkly faces. I will probably keep ears. My boyfriend and I both agree we like that look better. I am also going to be using the pup as a therapy dog and natural ears dont make them look so intimidating.

So we will see how I will do when I get my pup... not for a while yet!

LOL I have fun in the ring. If you saw Samurai goofin' around you wouldn't want me to teach you LOL. I always say i'm going to stick a clown nose on when I show him because that is what I feel like. He honestly thinks he is there to entertain the crowd and get his butt scratched and has no idea he is showing

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 3:32 pm

LOL.... the people at the show I went to were so serious. I am going again Jan 5. so hopefully I will get to talk to some more people and have more fun this time. I am a shy person and its hard for me to talk to people... hoping i will feel more comfortable there.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 27th, 2006, 3:38 pm

On December 27 2006, luvmypitties wrote:LOL.... the people at the show I went to were so serious. I am going again Jan 5. so hopefully I will get to talk to some more people and have more fun this time. I am a shy person and its hard for me to talk to people... hoping i will feel more comfortable there.
I'm there to have fun with the dogs and friends so I guess I approach it a bit differently than some. :|

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmypitties » December 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Thats all I would show for too.. is fun. There was one guy.. well he won but his dog was so excited the whole time. There was another guy who won with the other judge and the whole time the judge is looking over the other dogs he was having his jump all around and everything. I personally like that kind of stuff. But every other person there (must have been like 30 dogs) was as serious as a heart attack!!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Leslie H » December 28th, 2006, 10:20 am

I'm all for keeping natural ears. Soleil has silly mood ears, and she finished. Besides I really like the sound their ears make when they shake their head. While Xanny, the dog in my avatar is cropped (for showing purposes by her breeder), I find way more people find that look intimidating. There are a few judges that prefer natural ears.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Pitcrew » January 2nd, 2007, 8:41 pm

I havent seen any color preference in AKC or UKC. Anything that might seem that way I think has to do with whats more common.

I also see more uncropped dogs in the ring every year. In the UKC shows I have been to last, there were probably 60% uncropped. Maybe more.

And the uncropped in AKC shows in the area has gone from 1 in 20 (or less) ten+ years ago... to at least 3 times as many, 2+ in 12 (lately).

Vegas got her championship quickly (UKC). She is brindle and white and has natural ears. She could not have possibly finished any faster if she was any other color, or cropped. The only time she lost her class it was to a better dog.
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Conformation