What the.....

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby ellie@ny » January 15th, 2007, 9:51 pm

???What color is that?They say on the website it's a blue-white,but I think it's obvious that's a brindle,but what are those small spots on the face????
I have never seen that before in our breed... :?

pics deleted by request
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby tradewind » January 15th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Ellie,

Is that said to be an Amstaff or APBT ? It almost has a look of merle to it, with that flecking. Very strange :|
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 15th, 2007, 10:31 pm

That's merle - a color that suddenly "appeared" relatively recently in Pit Bulls. There are a few different bull breeds that have merle, which is the real source of the coloring.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » January 15th, 2007, 10:36 pm

It is very obviously blue brindle on the dog's eye patch. Frankly I would say that this is a white dog with a blue brindle patch and extremely heavy ticking. I have seen a couple of white Greyhounds that are that heavily ticked . . . they just look dirty all the time!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » January 15th, 2007, 10:51 pm

hmmmm, it looks like merle to me? maybe not?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 15th, 2007, 11:00 pm

Looks merle to me too.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » January 15th, 2007, 11:07 pm

On January 15 2007, tradewind wrote:Ellie,

Is that said to be an Amstaff or APBT ? It almost has a look of merle to it, with that flecking. Very strange :|

It's a POS! Here is the site:(don't hate me)
Check out the females site,there she is...
link deleted by request
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 15th, 2007, 11:10 pm

On January 15 2007, 10:51 PM, mnp13 wrote:hmmmm, it looks like merle to me? maybe not?

The eye patch looks merle to you?

Lady, you didn't even know that Mike was brindle, I think you need your eyes checked :off:

Striped = Brindle
Spots of one color on top of same color with a different shade = merle
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby cheekymunkee » January 15th, 2007, 11:10 pm

They have some pretty dogs, and then............

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » January 15th, 2007, 11:12 pm

On January 15 2007, cheekymunkee wrote:They have some pretty dogs, and then............

:fastRoll:
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 15th, 2007, 11:18 pm

In my mind merle look like this!

I'm not sure if she's that!?It's weird!!!! :|
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 15th, 2007, 11:24 pm

On January 15 2007, 22:18, ellie@ny wrote:In my mind merle look like this!

I'm not sure if she's that!?It's weird!!!! :|

like I told alyssa... the dog in that picture is merle. the first dog in this thread has ticking.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » January 15th, 2007, 11:26 pm

Looks like a red merle to me :)

I keep looking at that very first picture and if you look at the ticking over her right eye is looks almost brindle. I wonder if ticking comes from a diluting gene. Man I haven't studied genetics in forever . . .
Last edited by SisMorphine on January 15th, 2007, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » January 15th, 2007, 11:27 pm

On January 15 2007, 11:24 PM, mnp13 wrote:like I told alyssa... the dog in that picture is merle. the first dog in this thread has ticking.

:spit:
SisMorphine

Postby babyreba » January 15th, 2007, 11:28 pm

8)
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 15th, 2007, 11:29 pm

That's just a very bad picture, the dogs is merle :neener:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » January 15th, 2007, 11:30 pm

YUCK!! That is all I have to say.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » January 15th, 2007, 11:37 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_(coat_colour_in_dogs)

Merle is a colour combination in dogs’ coats. It is a solid base color (usually red/brown or black) with lighter blue/gray or reddish patches, which gives a mottled or uneven speckled effect. Although most breeds that can have merle coats also typically have white markings (such as around the neck, under the belly, and so on), and often tan points (typically between the white and the darker parts of the coat), these are separate colors from the merle; some dogs do appear completely merled with no white or tan markings.

Merle is a distinguishing marking of several breeds, particularly the Australian Shepherd, and appears in others such as German Coolies in Australia, the Shetland Sheepdog, various Collies, the Welsh Corgi (Cardigan), the Pyrenean Shepherd, the Catahoula Leopard Dog, the Koolie, the Old English Sheepdog and others.

Merle is actually a heterozygote of an incomplete dominance gene. If two such dogs are mated, on the average one quarter of the puppies will be double merles and some percentage of these double merle puppies could have eye defects and/or could be deaf. Knowledgeable breeders who want to produce merle puppies mate a merle with a nonmerle dog; roughly half the puppies will be merles without the risk of vision or hearing defects.

In January 2006, scientists at Texas A&M University announced the discovery of the mobile genetic unit, a retrotransposon, responsible for the merle mutation in dogs.[1]

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » January 15th, 2007, 11:42 pm

merles look they have age spots :|
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 15th, 2007, 11:44 pm

But not all of them are heavily patched, some just have a spot or two. Like this one

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Conformation