What the.....

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby SisMorphine » January 16th, 2007, 12:34 am

Right BUT can merle really show up when the brindle is so obvious in the eye patch (and I really do see it above the other eye in the ticking)?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 16th, 2007, 12:38 am

She has a nice crop. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » January 16th, 2007, 11:11 am

On January 15 2007, 23:34, SisMorphine wrote:Right BUT can merle really show up when the brindle is so obvious in the eye patch (and I really do see it above the other eye in the ticking)?

You're right, the eye patch is definately brindle.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » January 16th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Oh wow, a merle fight. How'd I miss this?? :slap:
a-bull
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 16th, 2007, 7:58 pm

I don't think blue and white is the proper color listing for her that's for sure.

The eye patch definately apears blue brindle. I honestly can't tell if she is merle, has tons of pigment spots or is ticked. I don't think I've ever seen a pit marked exactly like her before :|
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby iluvk9 » January 16th, 2007, 8:06 pm

On January 16 2007, a-bull wrote:Oh wow, a merle fight. How'd I miss this?? :slap:

LMAO!
All I can add is "NOT A BLACK LABRADOR".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby adrianne » January 16th, 2007, 10:39 pm

Doesn't look merle to me looks Roan.

Roan is found in pointers.

"The roan gene in dogs acts as a simple dominant gene. The action of the gene results in a mingling of colored and white hairs. To be roan a dog must have white areas; a solid colored dogs can not be roan. Breeds where the roan gene commonly occurs are English cocker spaniels, English setters, Australian Cattle Dogs. The roan pattern also occurs in American Cocker Spaniels, Field spaniels and Border collies.

Roan dogs are more prone to deafness due to the absence of pigment present during ear formation. There are no other health issuses associated with this gene. Black and white roans are referred to as "blue roans" (spaniels) or "blue belton" (English setters). Red/buff and white roans are referred to as "red roans" "orange roans" or "lemon roans" or oran. Brown and white are referred to as "liver roans", "chocolate roans" or "brown roans"."

Roan GSP

not the best pic but roan on a cattle dog

Roan cocker

My best educated guess (my father bred and worked field pointers) is that dog was mixed with a pointer in its bloodline...

english pointer

My fathers friend added old school apbt into his pointers years ago for more bone and power moving through the brush. The mix didn;t look like that dog ofcourse but I should see if he has any photos of the offspring they looked like pointers on steroids lol
adrianne
Just Whelped

Postby adrianne » January 16th, 2007, 10:48 pm

I might also add.. I am not a fan of wikipedia... I am a biology major and everyone of my professors has told me to this day if we ever reference wikipedia they'll just through our paper out.

Its information must be taken with a grain of salt being a "public forum knowledge base"

Also, the debate of ticking, roan, merle, and dapple gets very messy as many of these said genes are actually the same just renamed per breeds...

you have to also take in account canine genetics are not as 'solved' as we wish to believe...

anyways just my 2 cents.. the dog doesn't look 'merle' to me .. I see merle as a catahoula trait and aussie trait.. Roan and ticking would be better ways to describ it..

Also I believe if I remember correctly (possibly i should be corrected..) Merle and Brindle cannot come up together either as they are patterns not colors and you cannot cross pattern a dogs coat (supposedly)
adrianne
Just Whelped

Postby adrianne » January 16th, 2007, 10:50 pm

On January 16 2007, 6:58 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote:I don't think blue and white is the proper color listing for her that's for sure.

The eye patch definately apears blue brindle. I honestly can't tell if she is merle, has tons of pigment spots or is ticked. I don't think I've ever seen a pit marked exactly like her before :|

Ok last post on this topic for now sorry guys lol but...

I dunno if I would exactly call this a pit bull but.. this "ticked roan" is similar to that OP

adrianne
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » January 16th, 2007, 11:00 pm

I was thinking a bit roan as well.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ellie@ny » January 16th, 2007, 11:25 pm

Roan is very possible(more then merle),but personally I have never seen it on a UKC registered APBT!!!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Leslie H » January 17th, 2007, 7:29 am

I thought Aus cattle dogs aren't merle, I spoke to some people w/them. Aus shepherds come in merle. I asked because someone told me their rescue dog was ACD, but it is merle, and looked apbt x aus shep. It also didn't look friendly, despite his insistence it liked other dogs.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 17th, 2007, 8:05 am

That is what it looks like but with a brindle eye patch.

I've never seen a purebred pit bull that has markings like that has anyone else?????
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby tradewind » January 17th, 2007, 9:10 am

On January 17 2007, Patch O' Pits wrote:

I've never seen a purebred pit bull that has markings like that has anyone else?????

That might be the most important question, Teresa -"purebred" ??
We all know that merle has now become a major disqualifying fault in UKC, I have never seen nor heard of any Amstaff that has been merle or now with this tickling - and this is also the 1st APBT I have seen with the tickling color as well. JMHO
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » January 17th, 2007, 10:41 am

On January 17 2007, Leslie H wrote:I thought Aus cattle dogs aren't merle, I spoke to some people w/them. Aus shepherds come in merle. I asked because someone told me their rescue dog was ACD, but it is merle, and looked apbt x aus shep. It also didn't look friendly, despite his insistence it liked other dogs.

My understanding as well . . . that the Aus. Shepherds are merle, as are Catahoula, of course, which is what many pitbulls are being mixed with to get "blues". (Great Danes also come in merle, etc.)
a-bull
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » January 17th, 2007, 11:10 am

On January 17 2007, tradewind wrote:
On January 17 2007, Patch O' Pits wrote:

That might be the most important question, Teresa -"purebred" ??
We all know that merle has now become a major disqualifying fault in UKC, I have never seen nor heard of any Amstaff that has been merle or now with this tickling - and this is also the 1st APBT I have seen with the tickling color as well. JMHO

That's my point too!!! :| Interesting.....
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Karen » January 17th, 2007, 11:50 am

Pit Bulls are NOT mixed with catahoula to get BLUE! Blue naturally occurs in the breed. Merle is either red or blue and that top dog has heavy ticking which does happen. They inbred on a fugly dog that has that color and coat pattern for the dog in the first pic. Looks like dirt.

Leslie is correct the CATTLE DOG has no merle gene.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Big_Ant » January 17th, 2007, 12:04 pm

On 01/17/2007 6:41 AM, a-bull wrote:as are Catahoula, of course, which is what many pitbulls are being mixed with to get "blues".

Therese (Patch-O-Pits), you mixed mutt owning freak! :wink: :twisted:

Give those Catahoula mixes a high-five from me!!! :D
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby a-bull » January 17th, 2007, 12:16 pm

On January 17 2007, Big_Ant wrote:
On 01/17/2007 6:41 AM, a-bull wrote:as are Catahoula, of course, which is what many pitbulls are being mixed with to get "blues".

Therese (Patch-O-Pits), you mixed mutt owning freak! :wink: :twisted:

Give those Catahoula mixes a high-five from me!!! :D

I wasn't talking about her dog and I wasn't talking about 'real' blues. Her dog is phenomenal.

I'm referring to backyard breeders trying to breed for blue and dabbling with Catahoula because of the merle gene in an attempt to breed "blue pitbulls." It is not an unusual occurence where I am, and infact I own one, (a rescue from an ACO friend).
a-bull
I live here

Postby Sue » January 17th, 2007, 12:35 pm

Don't worry about it a-bull. Some people are just assholes, no use trying to explain, they will still just be assholes.
Sue
Bull Meister

PreviousNext

Return to Conformation