What the.....

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 17th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Thank you guys! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » January 17th, 2007, 7:39 pm

On January 17 2007, Marinepits wrote:
On Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:22 PM, ellie@ny wrote:
I'm referring to backyard breeders trying to breed for blue and dabbling with Catahoula because of the merle gene in an attempt to breed "blue pitbulls."

Ok I don't have to say anything about the pissing match,but Blue is a dilute gene for the color black so technically blue is just a faded out black.
If you breed two blues together you get an entire litter of blue pups.
And that's it!You don't have to mix anything in the breed to get blue color.
That would be just double stupid!!!
:D

That isn't the first time I've heard of BYB using Catahoulas to breed "blue" pit bulls -- my vet and I were talking a while back about the increasing numbers of poorly bred blues she has seen in her office and she mentioned the use of Catahoulas to me.

And yes it IS double stupid of any BYB to do, but no one ever said that BYBs are particularly smart. If they were smart, they wouldn't be BYBs in the first place. :wink:

I always thought they were using Catahoulas for producing the rare merle pit bull???
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Sue » January 17th, 2007, 8:34 pm

On January 17 2007, 6:30 PM, Big_Ant wrote:
On 01/17/2007 3:07 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:This thread got real stupid real fast didn't it? Personal attacks & name calling are not allowed on this board & we would appreciate it if it stops. People can have disagreements without hurling insults. We also have a nifty little "ignore" button that can be used, you might want to give it a whirl

I feel like hitting that 'IGNORE' right about now! :twisted:

My apologies to a-bull and sue. Let's right this ship!

- Anthony

Right back at ya :wink:
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Sue » January 17th, 2007, 8:35 pm

On January 17 2007, 6:07 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:This thread got real stupid real fast didn't it? Personal attacks & name calling are not allowed on this board & we would appreciate it if it stops. People can have disagreements without hurling insults. We also have a nifty little "ignore" button that can be used, you might want to give it a whirl

Ummm, Admin already spanked us, but thanks anyway :P

I just read all of the posts from the last two days, and I guess I missed where this little spat started....

play nice, ok?

or don't...

Just keep it low key so I don't have to have to open a can of whoopass on all of you.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby mnp13 » January 17th, 2007, 8:46 pm

lol

we're just sticking together... somtimes it takes a second or third request ;)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 17th, 2007, 8:47 pm

LOL Ant very funny.... :wink: you are lucky I know you are just being sarcastic.
I'm beyond protective when it comes to my babies

As already stated blue is a perfectly acceptable APBT color that has been around forever in the breed and is a dilute of black.
Blue can only be produced if both parents carry the gene for it because it is recessive. Thus a dog does not have to be blue to produce it, but they do have to carry the gene for blue.
It has nothing to do with catahoula leopard dogs or APBT X Catahoula mixes.

I honestly think who ever thought to do the cat pit mix or the APBT mastiff mixes was taking some serious drugs. :|

However the BYBs obviously who mix dogs also have no clue usually about any type of genetics at all and I wouldn't doubt that they would think they could get combos that can't genetically occur. As for a vet who commented, they need to take some lessons in genetics I guess. How sad

Merle was made a disqualification when our national breed org started petitioning the UKC after many BYBs started breeding merle mixes and calling them "rare" APBTs. If other things like Roan start popping up out of no where I guess we will have to bring that matter to their attention as well.

I wish there was a way to stop BYBs
:(
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on January 17th, 2007, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » January 17th, 2007, 8:48 pm

On January 17 2007, 7:46 PM, mnp13 wrote:lol

We're playing good cop, bad cop. Care to see which is which? :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » January 17th, 2007, 8:59 pm

On Wed, Jan 17 2007, 7:47 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote: As for a vet who commented, they need to take some lessons in genetics I guess. How sad

I wish I could remember the whole conversation -- we were talking about all the odd mixes of breeds that we had seen and heard about and Catahoulas were specifically mentioned as being mixed into several other breeds besides and in addition to pits, just because of the unusual coloring that Catahoulas have.

And again, we were talking about the perceptions that BYBs seem to have about how to get the "rare blue", however they have to mix breeds, and not what would actually work.

She has had plenty of lessons in genetics -- I am the one who quotes poorly, LOL.
Last edited by Marinepits on January 17th, 2007, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » January 17th, 2007, 9:02 pm

On Wed, Jan 17 2007, 6:39 PM, ellie@ny wrote:
That isn't the first time I've heard of BYB using Catahoulas to breed "blue" pit bulls -- my vet and I were talking a while back about the increasing numbers of poorly bred blues she has seen in her office and she mentioned the use of Catahoulas to me.

And yes it IS double stupid of any BYB to do, but no one ever said that BYBs are particularly smart. If they were smart, they wouldn't be BYBs in the first place. :wink:

I always thought they were using Catahoulas for producing the rare merle pit bull???

I meant "blues" (in quotes) as what BYBs mean by "blues", which seems to me to be anything that has "blue" coloring in it, whether it be roan, ticked, or a solid steel blue.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Canyon Pits » January 17th, 2007, 9:05 pm

You are obviously wrong. I own this greyline female and her dam was the first ever UKC greyline champion. She is a direct daughter of the Notorious Juan Gotty. Her name is Lola and she is white with blue ticking and a blue nose. She has one brindle patch over her right eye.

If you were familiar with Greyline/Gottyline Dogs you would know that ticking is part of their bloodline.

I dont appreciate you taking pictures off my site and posting them. If you were curious about her you could of sent me an email and I would have politely responded. All bloodlines carry different characteristics and ticking is very prominent in Greyline/Gottyline dogs. If you have any other questions about any dogs I own please ask me not the board. I am a new member here and hate that I have to respond this way on one of my first posts but I was shocked to see my female and her picture being talked about.

Susan
Canyon Pits
Canyon Pits
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 17th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Canyon Pits, I wasn't talking about your dog. I was commenting about other portions of this thread.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Sue » January 17th, 2007, 9:18 pm

On January 17 2007, 7:48 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:

No, not really :D
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » January 17th, 2007, 9:18 pm

On Wed, Jan 17 2007, 7:47 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote: As for a vet who commented, they need to take some lessons in genetics I guess. How sad

I wish I could remember the whole conversation -- we were talking about all the odd mixes of breeds that we had seen and heard about and Catahoulas were specifically mentioned as being mixed into several other breeds besides and in addition to pits, just because of the unusual coloring that Catahoulas have.

And again, we were talking about the perceptions that BYBs seem to have about how to get the "rare blue", however they have to mix breeds, and not what would actually work.

She has had plenty of lessons in genetics -- I am the one who quotes poorly, LOL.

I understand what you're saying, and my old vet and I had what was probably a similar conversation. He was treating my dog, and he began to sputter about the number of backyard breeders that were "trying" to mix pitbulls with Catahoula to get "blue pitbulls." His main complaint was the resulting temperment issues and plethora of health issues, which I can attest to~unless someone would like to disagree with me about my own dog and tell me he's the picture of health, lol.

I know there are blue Pitbulls. I know the legit ones are not being bred by mixing pitbulls with Catahoula. I also know, as I said before, that there are backyard breeders who are trying anyways. Obviously those who are breeding in such a fashion are NOT geneticists.

Amen. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » January 17th, 2007, 9:20 pm

On January 17 2007, Canyon Pits wrote:You are obviously wrong. I own this greyline female and her dam was the first ever UKC greyline champion. She is a direct daughter of the Notorious Juan Gotty. Her name is Lola and she is white with blue ticking and a blue nose. She has one brindle patch over her right eye.

If you were familiar with Greyline/Gottyline Dogs you would know that ticking is part of their bloodline.

I dont appreciate you taking pictures off my site and posting them. If you were curious about her you could of sent me an email and I would have politely responded. All bloodlines carry different characteristics and ticking is very prominent in Greyline/Gottyline dogs. If you have any other questions about any dogs I own please ask me not the board. I am a new member here and hate that I have to respond this way on one of my first posts but I was shocked to see my female and her picture being talked about.

Susan
Canyon Pits

Is that your dog that was originally posted, because I, quite frankly, thought the dog was cool looking, but what do I know. :wink:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Canyon Pits » January 17th, 2007, 9:27 pm

Well I appreciate you clearing that up, however I am sure you can see where I am coming from. The person who posted my dog had no right to remove her picture from my site and post in on a public forum for people to bash on. Some people need to learn more about bloodlines and what their traits are before making fools of themselves on a public forum. I would never insult, bash or try to humiliate anyone's dogs.

To the person who posted her, please use better judgement in the future.
Did you not see this on my site?
Copyright © Canyonpits.com
Canyon Pits
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 17th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Roan and ticking are established colors in Pit Bulls? I have NEVER heard that before.

I am not commenting on your dog, but there have been a lot of questions and doubt about the "purity" of many famous lines. For example, anything with Whopper (a VERY obvious mix) in their pedigree is not a pure bred Pit, forget anything with Motor City's Big Block (that's a DDB mix if I've ever seen one!) but according to their papers they are pure as pure gets.

Maybe I have missed it, but I have looked through MANY historical books and pictures and haven't seen ticking or roan in any dogs before recent history. Would you mind finding some for me, as I am completley missing them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » January 17th, 2007, 9:36 pm

On January 17 2007, Canyon Pits wrote:Well I appreciate you clearing that up, however I am sure you can see where I am coming from. The person who posted my dog had no right to remove her picture from my site and post in on a public forum for people to bash on. Some people need to learn more about bloodlines and what their traits are before making fools of themselves on a public forum. I would never insult, bash or try to humiliate anyone's dogs.

To the person who posted her, please use better judgement in the future.
Did you not see this on my site?
Copyright © Canyonpits.com

Oh snap!! Your picture was copyrighted? Nice work~seriously.

Well, you can read my posts here for youself: I was discussing merle and backyard breeding. I like dogs, particularly Pitbulls. I'm not into bashing other peoples.

Peace. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » January 17th, 2007, 9:42 pm

On Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:27 PM, Canyon Pits wrote:Well I appreciate you clearing that up, however I am sure you can see where I am coming from.

I absolutely do see where you are coming from. And you have every right to defend your dogs.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » January 17th, 2007, 9:45 pm

On January 17 2007, 8:18 PM, Sue wrote:
On January 17 2007, 7:48 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:

No, not really :D

dammit you're no fun!!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Canyon Pits » January 17th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Thank you I appreciate your understanding and open mind to my situation.
Canyon Pits
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Conformation