Ear crops in Canada

Postby Nypitmom24 » February 28th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Hey everyone!! I have a bit of a dilemma.... I was refered to a vet in Ontario for an ear crop. I know that some places in Canada are having problems with BSL I was wondering if it was worth the attempt to bring my girl to get her ears done. I have never been to Canada so this is all new to me!! Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!
Nypitmom24
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 1:39 pm

There are strict limitations on "pitbulls" in Canada and "visitors" are not allowed, (except for show dogs and flyball dogs that fall into a very restrictive category).
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 2:34 pm

I would NOT bring your dog to Canada for anything but driving through, and we got seriously hassled by customs when we did that.

You'll have to muzzle the dog if you even take it out for a pee (or you can sneak, but it's a PITA)

Many Flyball touraments are saying no Pits, even though Canada lets them in for the tournaments.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Well, and it's the same ol' issue . . .

They have the right based upon their legislation to confiscate your dog and kill it if you can't prove it is a breed that does not fall into their description of a "pitbull" EVEN if you are only visiting. At best you can end up with fines or prison time.

Not worth it for ears or otherwise.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 2:56 pm

I agree 100%. When we go through again (to make a 12+ hour drive a 6 hours drive) we're going to bring the paperwork from the DSO that indicates that we have paid entry fees for all three dogs and the name address and phone number of the place we are going to. It's 4 hours in Canada so we're going to potty, get gas, etc before and after the border. If one of the dogs is not exploding out one end or the other we're not stopping.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 3:07 pm

On February 28 2007, mnp13 wrote:I agree 100%. When we go through again (to make a 12+ hour drive a 6 hours drive) we're going to bring the paperwork from the DSO that indicates that we have paid entry fees for all three dogs and the name address and phone number of the place we are going to. It's 4 hours in Canada so we're going to potty, get gas, etc before and after the border. If one of the dogs is not exploding out one end or the other we're not stopping.

Good plan, because you can argue your case to an officer 'til the cows come home, but crap happens.

I could easily imagine a scenario where a dog gets confiscated and put to sleep while some poor owner scrambles for proof---and further, now you're in a different state, with different laws, your only visiting, and so on and so forth.

I see alot of potential for a mess and fatal enforcement errors.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Nypitmom24 » February 28th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info everyone! That's the kind of stuff I was worried about. I'll just pass on it this time around :| .....
Nypitmom24
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 3:24 pm

On February 28 2007, 14:07, a-bull wrote:Good plan, because you can argue your case to an officer 'til the cows come home, but poop happens.

I could easily imagine a scenario where a dog gets confiscated and put to sleep while some poor owner scrambles for proof---and further, now you're in a different state, with different laws, your only visiting, and so on and so forth.

I see alot of potential for a mess and fatal enforcement errors.

If you don't stop, don't let your dogs out and don't get pulled over they aren't going to know you have the dogs. I know a few people who have cut through Canada with their Pits and that is the easiest and safest way to do it. It is customs that is the problem.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Sad that you need to put your vehicle in stealth mode just to travel to a dog event.

They make you feel and behave like some kind of creepy criminal. :x
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 3:28 pm

On February 28 2007, Nypitmom24 wrote:Thanks for the info everyone! That's the kind of stuff I was worried about. I'll just pass on it this time around :| .....

Honestly, if that's the pup in your avatar, that dog has beautiful ears and looks fantastic "as is." :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 3:35 pm

On February 28 2007, 14:27, a-bull wrote:Sad that you need to put your vehicle in stealth mode just to travel to a dog event.

They make you feel and behave like some kind of creepy criminal. :x

yup, but US citizens have less rights than Canadian citizens there.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby celeste » December 2nd, 2008, 9:24 pm

I live in Alberta,Canada and have no problems with BSL here! =D
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » December 2nd, 2008, 11:05 pm

Quebec is the same. Don't put all your eggs (provinces) in the same basket.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » December 3rd, 2008, 5:08 am

yeah, most of bc isn't 1/2 bad, either!

There are few places here where there are restrictions at all :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Canada