Luna

Postby LoveABull » December 10th, 2015, 11:53 am

13 years ago i walked into a New Jersey shelter looking for a dog... specifically for a pit bull, because my husband said they were great dogs. he'd been raised with them, and said the bad rep they had, that i had been believing. was totally undeserved. the dog i adopted that day changed my life. her gentle manner and overflowing happy friendliness changed minds about pit bulls all over the eastern US, sometimes in unlikely ways. she was borrowed for animal shelter fund raisers ($1 per kiss), she paraded in costume, she worked briefly as a therapy dog. everyone who met her loved her.

since 2007 we have been full time RVers, doing something called workcamping... working and living in various RV parks around the US. one of those parks 3 years ago, an off leash little mutt charged at Luna and attacked her, latching onto her ear. she responded by grabbing the smaller dog and pinning it down. both does were separated quickly with extremely minor injuries. The owner of the park i was in at the time later told me that his mind was changed about pit bulls by the fact that my dog could have easily quickly killed the other dog 1/3 her size if she was truly the monster the media portrayed her as. funny that even in a dog fight Luna could still change minds about what a pit bull was. she was truly an incredible dog.

3 months ago i walked into a Wisconsin vet's office looking for an answer. i didn't like the answer i got: cancer on her lungs, heart, and liver. we let her go, but we took her ashes.

farewell my Luna... :sad2:

Not all that can be counted, counts; not all that counts can be counted.
what's going on in my neck of the woods? check out the Aluma-blog!
LoveABull
Just Whelped

Postby Emi » December 25th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss! :groupHug:
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby turtle » January 2nd, 2016, 1:17 am

I've not checked in for awhile... I am so sorry to hear about Luna. I remember her well, she was a wonderful dog. She changed many minds about pit bulls. I also lost my old girl to cancer about a year ago, I know how much it hurts.

RIP Luna, you were a good girl.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Return to Our Departed Friends