A very sweet story on loss

Postby 5dognight » August 9th, 2007, 3:49 pm

This story was sent to me by a friend of mine. She is the Postmaster of Portland, OR, proud Mom to a retired champion Bouvier, 3 pit bulls, a token cat, and she volunteers at the Humane Society. I just thought it was really, really sweet.

THIS IS A U.S. POSTAL SERVICE STORY

Our dog, Abbey, died August 23, and the day after Abbey died, my 4 year old, Meredith, was SO upset. She wanted to write a letter to God so that He would recognize Abbey in heaven. She told me what to write, and I did.

Then she put 2 pictures of Abbey in the envelope. We addressed it to God in Heaven, put two stamps on it because, as she said, it could be a long way to heaven. We put our return address on it, and I let her put it in the drop box at the post office that afternoon. She was absolutely sure that letter would get to heaven, and I wasn't about to disillusion her.

So today is Labor Day. We took the kids to the museum in Austin, and when we came home, there was a package wrapped in gold on our front porch. It was addressed to Meredith. So... she took it inside and opened it. Inside was a book, When Your Pet Dies by Mr. Rogers (Fred Rogers). Inside the front cover was the letter we had written to God, in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was one of the pictures of Abbey taped on the page. On the back page was the other picture of Abbey, and this handwritten note on pink paper:

"Dear Meredith, I know that you will be happy to find out that Abbey arrived safely and soundly in heaven. Having the pictures you sent to me was a big help! I recognized Abbey right away! You know, Meredith, she isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me, just like it stays in your heart... young and running and playing. Abbey loved being your dog, you know.

Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep things in. So... I am sending you your beautiful letter back with the pictures so that you will have this little memory book to keep. One of my angels is taking care of this for me.
I hope this little book will help.

Thank you for your beautiful letter. Thank your mother for sending it. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

Signed,
God

This is a true story, I love that we have angels among us, some of them even work at the Post Office!
5dognight
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » August 9th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Wow, that's an unbelievable story, and an awesome one to boot. :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 9th, 2007, 6:01 pm

That is too sweet! It brought tears to my eyes!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby msvette2u » August 9th, 2007, 9:42 pm

I love that story...so touching...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby amazincc » August 9th, 2007, 10:28 pm

Awww... I need a tissue... what a beautiful thing to do for a little girl... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » August 11th, 2007, 1:26 am

Gave me goosebumps! Who ever did that is an angel on earth to ahve made a child's day like that! Thats awesome!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Our Departed Friends