National Green Bean Day

Postby hugapitbull » March 26th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Trouble came into our lives as a 12 week old pup. Full of piss and vinegar. She had a demanding spirit that would be with her forever. The young Trouble was different in a lot of ways than the Trouble you guys knew. Her first 15 months she could not be trusted. She had constant supervision. She ate every corner off every blanket and sheet we owned. She ate every tag out of every t-shirt she found on the floor. She chewed the wood furniture. She even ate a pair of steel toed shoes. If we were gone for even a few minutes, she was confined to the crate. And then one day, the light bulb came on and she was an acceptable member of the family. I'll not say she never again got into mischief after that, she did once get diet pills out of a purse and eat them, she did scavenge things off my night stand (never Bob's, always mine). We did all the things a responsible pet owner should do. We sent her to obedience school, and oh did she excel, but in her true spirit, while she knew all her commands, she often chose whether or not she would respond, especially as she aged. You could actually see her making the decision. "Is it worth it to ME, to do what she wants?"

We were diligent about socializing her. She loved people unconditionally. She always loved the vet – which ever one we were using, she was treated by five vets in her lifetime and she loved each one. She loved the kennel – in her younger days we never had a problem leaving her when we traveled. She was happy as a clam at the kennel, and would come home just absolutely exhausted from all the excitement. She would sleep for a couple of days. She loved for us to have company – everyone came just to see her, don't ya know!

As she aged, she demanded even more. She told us when to cook, she told us when to feed her, she told us when to go out. And it wasn't the 'please do what I want' kind of things. It was more the 'get up off your butt, and do it now' demands. She would NOT rest until you had done what SHE wanted. Ignoring her only made her more demanding. Did she have us well trained – no doubt.

I'll not dwell on the cancer, treatments, arthritis, or the end. You all knew that part of her life. I celebrate all the wonderful things in her life today, the cantankerous free spirit. We were so very blessed to have her with us for such a long time, especially after the cancer diagnosis. We are blessed to share her life with so many others along the way.

Today is the 28th anniversary of her amputation. In celebration, the 26th of each month is officially declared 'Green Bean Snack Day" in honor of the many green bean snacks Trouble consumed in her quest to keep that slim figure.

Happy ampuversary, sweetheart. You are now free.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » March 26th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Happy Green Bean Day! I'll have to offer some to Seth and LiLo, I'm not sure how they'll respond but I'll explain to them they need to eat their veggies in honor of Trouble :) :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » March 26th, 2011, 5:04 pm

That was a great story. :hug3: Now I see why the name "Trouble" was quite appropriate.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Lovely tribute! I and Inara will eat some green beans in Trouble's honor.

RIP beautiful girl...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » March 26th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Scooter, who also is a green bean kid, will be sure to make this day each month National Green Bean Day.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 26th, 2011, 9:27 pm

:sad2: :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Our Departed Friends