Insurance for the Dog Owner

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby Marinepits » November 15th, 2007, 8:08 pm

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/insurance.htm

Every dog owner needs to have homeowner insurance or renters insurance that (a) provides coverage for, and does not exclude, injuries inflicted by dogs or animals in general, and (b) has a limit of at least $100,000 for personal liability. This type of insurance will enable the dog owner's insurance company to pay an appropriate amount of compensation for all but the most severe accidents caused by a dog. Because the dog owner's own relatives, friends and neighbors are the most likely victims of a possible dog attack, having insurance means protecting the people who are closest to the dog owner, thereby protecting valuable relationships and ensuring proper treatment of loved ones.

Given the fact that a dog is most likely to bite someone whom the dog owner loves most, it is recommended that dog owners have higher limits, such as $1 million, through either their homeowners and renters policies or by an "umbrella" policy. It is very inexpensive to obtain an umbrella policy......(continued on website)

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby HUMBLE CHIEF » January 25th, 2011, 5:51 pm

After Hurricane Katrina hit La. Almost nobody would insure Pitbulls..I have mine insured through statefarm.They are one of the few that dont descriminate against the breed
HUMBLE CHIEF
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » January 25th, 2011, 7:29 pm

HUMBLE CHIEF wrote:After Hurricane Katrina hit La. Almost nobody would insure Pitbulls.

Why not? Did the dogs cause the hurricane? Because that's no what I heard. :rolleyes2: :|

:crazy2: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby copperlegend » January 25th, 2011, 8:03 pm

FYI, we have Geico for all of our insurance, and they will insure you if you have a Pit Bull that looks like a Pit Bull, but they set a limit on how much insurance you can have. We showed the agent a photo of Nadia and she said we had nothing to worry about, and put "mixed breed" on our paperwork.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 25th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Be VERY careful with that. VERY VERY careful. If she is a "Pit Bull" at your vet, then she's a Pit Bull if something happens.

When I called Geico a few years ago, they were using Travelers to underwright their homeowners policies. They did not insure Pit Bulls at that time, I'm glad to hear they have changed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Living with your Pit Bull