Insurance

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby SLS61185 » May 21st, 2010, 2:12 am

So, yesterday, we got the dreaded paper for "renewal" for our homeowners insurance. They asked questions like the carpet, roof, dumb stuff like that. They only want to know so if the house has to be rebuilt, they know if it's insured for the right amount. Now, for as long as we've had Patch, we've never told them about him... Because it's never came up and they've never sent out a form before.

Then, the dreaded question came up "Do you own a dog, if so, what breed is it?" Amstaff Terrier was one of the choices along with a bunch of others... Then other or decline. I asked Mike and he said to just put 'Other' because you don't have to write anything in... So, I did. :|

What do yall list your dogs as? We've got USAA for the cars and house. He's got it because his dad was in the Marines. They've never had to come to our house. They've never asked. We haven't had to deal with them except to change me from girlfriend to wife once we got married. Patch has never been in trouble with anyone...

I've been told and read that USAA tends to be okay with Pits but I've never called them up and asked... So I'm not sure. I feel like I lied to them but at the same time, I just don't know. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens later. :|
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 21st, 2010, 6:26 am

I searched around and found renters insurance that wouldn't discriminate against breed - I couldn't take the chance of lying here in Ohio.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » May 21st, 2010, 8:12 am

Ya know.............I have never received any kind of questionnaire for my homeowners for renewal.
Odd??? :| :|
I just get the packets every year....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » May 21st, 2010, 10:13 am

Mine are listed as Pit Bulls... my insurance has no breed restrictions though, they just wanted to know if the dogs had a bite history. Which is a reasonable question, IMO.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » May 21st, 2010, 12:19 pm

I have USAA and they had no prob. With Gator.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby BullyLady » May 21st, 2010, 8:27 pm

I would be wary about "fibbing" to your homeowner's insurance. It's possible that if you tried to make a claim they could deny it, they may be able to invalidate your entire policy based on having obtained it fraudulently. I would say better to call them and find out so that you can be honest with them.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » May 21st, 2010, 11:23 pm

I would absolutely not lie. If you had to make a claim they could deny you based on that alone.

If you can get USAA, get it and keep it. They are total jerks - because the only people who can get them are people who have served in the military or the family members of service members, so they don't care if the public likes them or not. Trust me, I did battle with them after a nasty car accident that wasn't my fault.

If you have them, be happy that you do. Unless of course, they don't like our dogs, then I don't like them even more than I already don't like them!! In which case... STATE FARM!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SLS61185 » May 22nd, 2010, 1:07 am

We own our house and it's paid off, so no renter insurance here. Yeah, when I was just listed as just the girlfriend they had a HUGE issue about it. They told me if I moved out, I was to get off of it that day. No waiting. Now that we're married, all is okay... But, like I said, he's got it because of his dad - He's had it for like 30 years or so.

Mike said he's never gotten a paper from them before like the other day... And he's had the house for going on 9 years? I may have him call in a few days and talk to them about Patch, I mean afterall, he doesn't have a bite history. I don't know why I'm so worried about them knowing about him. I guess it's because we just got married in Dec. and I don't want to be the reason he's gotto find a new insurance company.

Tina, did they ask you about him at all?

Someone tell me Im worrying too much!
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitsnok » May 22nd, 2010, 2:41 am

I have heard USAA has no breed restrictions. I have USAA for my auto insurance and definitely will use it once we buy a house. I am even switching to their online checking because I like them so much :|
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » May 22nd, 2010, 2:56 pm

SLS61185 wrote:

Okay... consider yourself told. :wink: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » May 24th, 2010, 8:47 am

SLS61185 wrote:
Tina, did they ask you about him at all?

They said they didnt care what he was. They didnt care about the fact that I owned a Chow either. The only thing they cared about was if the dog had a history of aggression. I told them no they said no problem. I have gotten the property assessment packet twice in the last 17 years. I just tell them that I have enough to cover the house for our area and they leave me alone. I have had to make a claim for the house on three separate occasions due to the huge tree in my back yard liking to fall on my house. Every time the person has come out to do the breakdown to fix it I got oh what cute dogs you have. :D
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 28th, 2010, 9:17 am

I spoke to somebody from Farm Family Insurance Company yesterday - they don't even ask about dogs. So we brought it up, just to make sure. The agent said "I personally prefer people have Dobermans, Rotweilers and Pit Bulls, they deter robbery! There are many more robbery claims than dog bite!" Nice! :D
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » May 28th, 2010, 9:44 am

Thank you thank you! Adding that to the list on my website :)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Living with your Pit Bull