Rochester people

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby pawscrossed » October 11th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Some of you already know my situation and it has been a while since I have posted on here. Any way, I moved to Worcester MA 4 months ago from the Rochester area. As soon as we did they started trying to pass some BSL for Pits and we fought like crazy but next spring it will go in to effect. I also just after we moved realized the person I moved in with was emotionally and mentally unstable thus putting me and my daughter in an unhealthy situation. I guess I have to live and learn.

I am having a really hard time finding an apartment in East Rochester or Fairport. Not many list online and all the complexes in the area have no Pit Bull rules. I have never had trouble finding a place but being 6 hours away is really making it close to impossible. I wanted to see if anyone lives in those areas or knows anyone that could keep an eye open for listings or even signs on houses (since not many advert online). Its imperative that I move. I just need to find a decent priced 2 bedroom and I can get the ball rolling on my part because a lot has to be planned as soon as I do. And my job is in East Rochester. Thanks!!!
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mohandas Gandhi
pawscrossed
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » October 11th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Is there a particular reason you have to be in one of those two areas? I know of some pit bull friendly housing in other areas.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pawscrossed » October 11th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Jen....My jobs in ER and both those towns have after school programs for my daughter. I dont want her in city schools and greece is way to far. I know I told you a little about whats going on here and the other stuff so you know why I am putting it all out there. Text me or email me the ones you know of. If worst came to worst I would live in the city but I really need to be in the east suburbs.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mohandas Gandhi
pawscrossed
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » October 12th, 2010, 1:11 am

You need to find a small house to rent, or one that has been divided into apartments, ideally owned by a single landlord and not handled by a property management company. I wouldn't waste my time looking into apartment complexes, as 90% of the time or more they have general rules against dogs. Landlords who own homes are much more flexible in terms of pets once they get to know you a bit. It's a good idea to provide some housing references that can vouch for you being responsible and not allowing your dogs to damage property or cause problems for other tenants. Get letters of reference whenever possible with phone contact information so prospective landlords can call previous ones.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby copperlegend » October 12th, 2010, 8:14 am

I left a message with a friend of mine, he's a landlord in the Park Ave/Swillburg area, and very pit bull friendly (he has 4 of his own). He may have some ideas. Good luck!
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » October 12th, 2010, 8:33 am

Actually a couple/few of the places I am speaking of ARE property management companies and allow any breed of dog as long as there is no bite history but by and large, Demo is right. You ideally want to go with a private landlord.

I'll get you that information Jess.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pawscrossed » October 12th, 2010, 9:04 am

Thats what I have been trying to do....find private multi family apartments. Thats what I have always lived in and I have always had it worked out so I can even take in rescues(at this point that cant be my focus). But being so far away is the problem. I worked in ER and always seen tons of places there and FP with rent sign in front. And I cant find any of these on line. Yeah, even a property management company that over sees different apartments would be good. Tony at Perinton Management had 3 great places in FP he was renting for other people but then got so freaking nasty when I said Judo was a Pit Bull. Like VERY nasty and it lead to me saying some not so nice things.

I also am a single mom so I have to keep things reasonable with price. But also near stable before and after school care (the east sude subs have great programs through the Y that will give me discounted rates). My daughter has special needs. I am in a panic to get out of here because of how bad things are here with this psycho I foolishly moved in with 6 hours away. My ex lives in the Wedge and thinks that might be a good option if I had to suck it up with City schools for a little while.

I wish you guys could all see whats going on here in Worcester with the planned Pit Bull rules. Come next spring its going to be a genocide because they are making a make shift animal shelter for the BSL regs they passed and only have 2 AC officers who half ass their job.

But thank you sooooo much for your help and what ever you guys can come up with. I need to keep my family together and get things back to where they were before I made this move so far away.

Jen, send stuff to my people email not my pit email cuz I dread checking it right now. XOXO
pawscrossed
Just Whelped

Postby copperlegend » October 12th, 2010, 9:23 am

Ok, heard back from my friend. One of his places is opening up in December, but you probably can't wait that long, and it's not in Fairport/E. Rochester. He's gonna ask around though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :/

More details:
2 bedroom, huge fenced in backyard, off street parking, washer and dryer, single family home.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pawscrossed » October 12th, 2010, 9:32 am

What area is that in? And what is his rent price there?

Yes, please let me know if he has any other ideas. Thank you sooooo much!
pawscrossed
Just Whelped

Return to Living with your Pit Bull