Pet owners unlikely to be compensated in suits

Postby cheekymunkee » April 1st, 2007, 7:31 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17899884/

Experts: Best shot is joining class action case; another brand recalling food

ALBANY, N.Y. - Pet owners are not likely to get much compensation if they individually sue pet food-maker Menu Foods over the death of a dog or cat, although they might fare better if they joined forces in a class action suit, legal experts say.

Most state laws consider animals — even beloved pets — to be only personal property. That means that even for the loss of a faithful family companion, a successful civil lawsuit would not likely produce much reward, said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond.

“With animals, all you get is the value of the property,â€
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby doberkim » April 1st, 2007, 10:21 pm

It truly depends on a case by case basis.

I have spoken to Iams vets personally, as I have a hospitalized case that they have already vowed to pay for, a cat in acute renal failure from their food. Iams is paying their entire bill from diagnosis through treatment.

Iams has also said that they would pay for screening (blood and urine) on animals that ate their foods and owners are concerned.

What owners will get I think depends on how much proof they have, and how they approach it. ANd which company they go to - I am sure despite all of this, it is a drop in the hat for Iams.
ARCH Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CD RN RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC (2/3 CD-H, 1/3 D-CD, 6/10 RL1X, 5/10 RL2X)
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, RN PTT CGC
http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
doberkim
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » April 1st, 2007, 10:25 pm

On April 01 2007, doberkim wrote: as I have a hospitalized case that they have already vowed to pay for, a cat in acute renal failure from their food.

Oh my goodness! Your animals? I hope they recover!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am

I *think* doberkim is a vet? :wink:

I think I've seen 2 cats in hosp. because they ate the food so far, but I don't think anything was confirmed.

I agree its the proof, which won't be easy. They'll have to prove that their animal had been eating the food (probably for an extended amount of time), and prove that the kidneys were healthy prior to that as well. It will get tricky...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 2nd, 2007, 6:40 am

I was watching the news last week and they had a lawyer on talking about class action suits, he said if you join a class action law-suit, you give up your right to seek additional damages, and so many people get involved in a class action suit that the pay-off is usually only a couple dollars after legal fees are paid and splitting the money up between a large group of people.

I would think that one would benefit from contacting thair pet food manufacturer directly and getting what you can from them if your animal has been harmed by menu foods...

it is very sad
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Return to Pet Food Recall