Dog biscuits added to pet food recall

Postby cheekymunkee » April 5th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Dog biscuits added to pet food recall
Manufacturer includes broader range of production dates, FDA reports
Slide show

Updated: 18 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - The recall of pet foods and treats contaminated with an industrial chemical expanded Thursday to include dog biscuits made by an Alabama company.

The Food and Drug Administration said Sunshine Mills Inc. is recalling dog biscuits made with imported Chinese wheat gluten. Testing has revealed the wheat gluten, a protein source, was contaminated with melamine, used to make plastics and other industrial products.

Also Thursday, Menu Foods, a major manufacturer of brand- and private-label wet pet foods expanded its original recall to include a broader range of dates, the FDA said. Menu Foods was the first of at least six companies to recall pet foods and treats made with the contaminated ingredient.

The FDA knows of no other pet product companies planning recalls, agency officials told reporters.

Sunshine, of Red Bay, Ala., sells pet foods and treats under its own brands as well as private labels sold by grocery, mass merchant and dollar stores, according to its Web site. A list of recalled products was not immediately available.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 5th, 2007, 3:21 pm

is this ever going to end!
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 5th, 2007, 3:25 pm

It doesn't look like it does it?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jeni » April 5th, 2007, 6:01 pm

I was thinking the same thing Lisa.

Today we had a client come in with a 17year old dog and a 20year old cat, that were eating contaminated food. Very sad!
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby randi81 » April 6th, 2007, 12:03 am

My mom feeds Poptart one of these brands -- "Lassie: Natural Way." The first 5 #s of the UPC codes match his bag of food, but I think only biscuits/treats are being recalled. I dunno. I told her to stop feeding him that crap ASAP anyways. :|

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/su ... 04_07.html
Sunshine Mills, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Certain Branded and Private Label Branded Dog Biscuits
Media Inquiries
Earl Clements
(256) 356-9541, ext. 212

Consumer Inquiries
Mitzi Wammack
(800) 705-2111, ext. 117

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Red Bay, Alabama, April 5, 2007 -- As a precautionary measure, Sunshine Mills, Inc. ("Sunshine"), a branded and private-label pet food manufacturer based in Red Bay, Alabama, is voluntarily recalling a portion of its branded dog biscuits made at its Red Bay, Alabama biscuit plant during part of March 2007. These brands include: Nurture Chicken & Rice, Nurture Lamb & Rice, Pet Life Large, Pet Life Extra Large, Pet Life Large Variety, Pet Life Large Peanut Butter, Lassie Lamb and Rice, and Pet Life People Pleasers Dog Treats. Private label biscuits for six of Sunshine's customers were also affected. A complete list of affected biscuit brands, sizes, and codes is available below or at our website, http://www.sunshinemills.com. Sunshine's other biscuit brands and products that include small and medium sized biscuits were not affected. It is also important to note that dry dog and cat food and soft and chewy treats for dogs or cats manufactured by Sunshine are not affected and not included in this recall.

The company is taking this voluntary action of recalling the dog biscuits listed below after learning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied to Sunshine from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine. Melamine is a substance not approved for use in food. The FDA made this finding as part of its ongoing investigation into the recent pet food recall.

The recalled dog biscuits are marketed nationwide by many pet food retailers including the mass channel, traditional grocery, and pet specialty stores. No dog illnesses or deaths have been reported to date in connection with these dog biscuits. The recalled dog biscuits contain one percent or less by weight of wheat gluten.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dog the dog biscuits with the specified date codes and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their dog.

Sunshine's products are 100% guaranteed. Consumers may receive the full replacement value of the recalled dog biscuits by returning them to the place of purchase or consumers may contact Sunshine's customer service number at (800) 705-2111 for further information about the recall and for other instructions on obtaining a product refund.

The safety and well-being of pets are Sunshine's utmost concern. We deeply regret this unforeseen situation.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Return to Pet Food Recall