Menu Foods CFO Sold Off His Stocks

Postby Marinepits » April 11th, 2007, 9:07 pm

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 7/70411054

[quote]CFO sold stock prior to pet food recall
April 11, 2007

BY ROB GILLIES

Associated Press Writer

TORONTO -- The chief financial officer of Menu Foods sold about half his shares in the company just three weeks before a massive recall of its pet food products, Canadian insider trading reports show.

CFO Mark Wiens sold 14,000 shares for $89,900 on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27. The shares are now worth about $54,000.

“He feels just awful that this link has been made,â€
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 11th, 2007, 9:09 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/consumer ... 2220070410

Menu Foods CFO sold shares before pet food recall

TORONTO, April 10 (Reuters) - The chief financial officer of Menu Foods Income Fund (MEW_u.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) sold nearly half his units in the pet food maker less than three weeks before it announced a massive product recall, according to insider trading reports.

The reports show that Mark Wiens sold 14,000 units for C$102,900 ($89,700) on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27. As of Monday's close of C$4.46, the units would be worth C$62,440.

After the sale, Wiens owned 17,193 units and had options to buy 101,812, the trading reports show.

On March 16, the Mississauga, Ontario, pet food maker recalled 60 million containers of "cuts and gravy" style pet food amid reports of pet deaths due to contamination.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has identified an industrial chemical called melamine in wheat gluten it said was shipped by a Chinese company to ChemNutra Inc. of Las Vegas. ChemNutra then sold the ingredient to Menu Foods and a few other companies that have since recalled pet products.

Wiens was not available for comment, but company spokesman Sam Bornstein said on Tuesday "there was no link whatsoever" over the timing of the trades and the pet food recall.

"This is a guy who conducts himself to the highest ethical and moral standards and he wouldn't do anything to imperil the high governance standards that he demands of himself and the company," said Bornstein.

"In fact, to do so would compromise his ability to make a living."

Wiens told the Globe and Mail newspaper in an interview published on Tuesday it was a "horrible coincidence" that he sold nearly half his units before the pet food recall.

He added he did not hear of any possible problem with the company's products until early March. Wiens also told the newspaper that the Ontario Securities Commission, Canada's senior equities watchdog, had not approached him over the timing of the trades.

Menu Foods' president and chief executive, Paul Henderson, said at a press conference late last month that Menu Foods had stopped using its Chinese supplier of wheat gluten on March 6.

Last week, the company expanded its recall to include products made between Nov. 8 and March 6, and 27 more varieties sold in the United States, Canada and Europe.

Units of Menu Foods were down 9 Canadian cents, or 2 percent, at C$4.37 on the Toronto Stock Exchange by midafternoon, and off about 40 percent since the recall.

($1=$1.15 Canadian)

((Reporting by Jennifer Kwan, editing by Rob Wilson; E-mail: jennifer.kwan@reuters.com; Reuters Messaging: jennifer.kwan.reuters.com@reuters.net. Telephone: +1-416-941-8178)) Keywords: MENUFOODS CFO/

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » April 11th, 2007, 9:11 pm

UH OH!!! :tomato:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 11th, 2007, 9:14 pm

isn't that insider trading...he had to know, the CFO would not sell their stock if something bad were going to happen
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 11th, 2007, 9:18 pm

On Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:14 PM, Wyldmoonwoman wrote:isn't that insider trading...he had to know, the CFO would not sell their stock if something bad were going to happen

Oh, no, not at all -- it's a "horrible coincidence".

Yeah, right.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 11th, 2007, 9:20 pm

I bet he got a stock tip from Martha Stewart :|
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 11th, 2007, 10:25 pm

Veeeeeerrrryyyy interesting...

:chopper:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Pet Food Recall