FDA Pet food tainting might be intentional..

Postby Jenn » April 20th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Geez.....

[quote]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18210224/

FDA: Pet food tainting might be intentional
Plastics chemical can make feed appear more protein-rich
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:48 a.m. CT April 20, 2007

WASHINGTON - Imported ingredients used in recalled pet food may have been intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to boost their apparent protein content, federal health officials suspect.

That’s one theory being pursued by the Food and Drug Administration as it investigates how the chemical, melamine, contaminated at least two ingredients used to make more than 100 brands of dog and cat foods.

In California, state agriculture officials placed a hog farm under quarantine after melamine was found in pig urine there. Additional testing was under way to determine whether the chemical was present in the meat produced by American Hog Farm in Ceres since April 3, the state Department of Food and Agriculture said.

So far, melamine’s been found in both wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported from China. Media reports from South Africa, where 30 dogs died, suggest a third pet food ingredient, corn gluten, used in that country also was contaminated with melamine. That tainted ingredient has not been found in the United States, the FDA said.

FDA investigators were awaiting visas that would allow them to visit the Chinese plants where the vegetable protein ingredients were produced.

Heading to China
“Melamine was found in all three of those — it would certainly lend credibility to the theory that it may be intentional. That will be one of the theories we will pursue when we get into the plants in China,â€
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jenn » April 20th, 2007, 1:43 pm

This is getting just absolutely unreal... I'm not ready to go running around like a wild monkey in hysteria or nothing, but this is just really getting ridiculous. :( Now it could possibly affect us? Who are the other two companies that haven't performed the voluntary recall, and why ~ is what else I'd like to know!
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » April 20th, 2007, 3:59 pm

:o
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » April 21st, 2007, 12:49 pm

Another good reason to kill your own. I'm tuning up my bow this week.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 21st, 2007, 10:43 pm

For awhile there I suspected that maybe PETA people poisoned the feed ingredients to try and kill off our companion animals :(
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Return to Pet Food Recall