In light of all the food recalls...

Postby Malli » April 20th, 2007, 3:55 pm

I felt this might help some people feel a bit better...

here are some common sense health checks... one or more of the following could prompt you to want to have an exam at your vets :

increased or decreased thirst

urine that is consistently almost water colored (in combination with other symptoms, dilute colored urine can also mean the dog is well hydrated

urine that is very dark in color or concentrated.

loss of appetite for apparently no reason (i.e. no stress factors or food changes involved)

vomiting

nausea- decreased appetite, lethargy, and drooling are all common signs

discoloration of the mucus membranes (gums, eye lids, or the pink part around the eye)i.e. a yellowing color

seeming uncomfortable in combination with other mentioned symptoms - kidney failure can be very uncomfortable

any change in behavior that cannot be connected to a stressor in the pet's environment.

diarrhea, especially very watery stuff or with blood

these are all things that I might mention to a client on the phone if they called...
The most important thing is, if you are worried about your pet there is probably a damn good reason why, think about what triggered your concern. Often times we will get a call and one of our tips would be that if they are calling there is probably a good reason for it and that alone may dictate the need to be seen by a vet.

If anyone has any questions please let me know and I'll do my best to answer then.

once again please keep in mind that I am not a veterinarian and it is always better to be safe then sorry when concerning an animal that appears to be ill, and just have them seen.

*edited to fix my crazy illiterate sentences - thank you head cold!*
Last edited by Malli on April 20th, 2007, 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 20th, 2007, 3:56 pm

Thank you SO much for posting this!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » April 20th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Thank you! I have my three on the Ultra formula by Natural Balance. It wasn't the one recalled and according to their website, it was their Venison that had the chemical.

Last month Harleybird WAS on the Venison formula, and I had just weaned him off of it and onto the Ultra, when the news hit. :shock:

This is why they said it only affects their venison formula:

How did this happen?

From time to time we evaluate our formulas and look for ways to improve them. We recently looked at the Venison dry formulas and thought that adding another protein source would improve the formula. Unfortunately, the rice protein concentrate was contaminated with melamine.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » April 20th, 2007, 9:08 pm

Thank you so much for posting this its important for people to know. When in doubt...... :D
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Malli » April 21st, 2007, 12:44 am

YW :D

yes its really a one ingredient issue I believe in most cases, they buy this one ingredient from a supply company which changed its source. very unfortunate.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pet Food Recall