More tainted pet food protein likely imported

Postby cheekymunkee » April 24th, 2007, 10:50 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18279643/

More tainted pet food protein likely imported
Senators learned of possible second importer through industry sources

Ashley Smith / AP file
Larry Klimes holds a photo of his dog, Joey, at his Wendell, Idaho home on April 21. Klimes' dog died after eating tainted dog food.
View related photos

Updated: 6:15 a.m. CT April 24, 2007
A second company likely imported rice protein from China that was contaminated with a chemical linked to a major pet food recall, two U.S. senators said on Monday.

Rice protein tainted with the chemical melamine was used in pet foods from at least five manufacturers who obtained the protein from one supplier, U.S. officials have said. It also made its way into feed used at a California hog farm.

Now, another company is suspected of importing rice protein from China, Democratic Sens. Richard Durbin of Illinois and Maria Cantwell of Washington said in a letter to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
“We have learned that in addition to Wilbur-Ellis, a second United States company imported a shipment of rice protein from China that is also likely to be contaminated with melamine,â€
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » April 24th, 2007, 12:48 pm

If confirmed, that could further expand a pet food recall that so far includes more than 100 brands. FDA officials have confirmed 16 deaths of cats and dogs from kidney failure and have received more than 15,000 reports of illnesses.

:nono: The suspense of what else/who else is really terrifying.
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » April 24th, 2007, 4:11 pm

On April 24 2007, Jenn wrote: The suspense of what else/who else is really terrifying.

I am doing what Malli suggested and watching my dogs for anything that might seem different about them.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Pet Food Recall