FDA ALERT: MORE PET FOOD RECALLED

Postby cheekymunkee » April 27th, 2007, 10:26 am

Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company. This listserv covers mainly Class I (life-threatening) recalls. A complete listing of recalls can be found in the FDA Enforcement Report at: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/Enforce.html

Chenango Valley Pet Foods Issues Voluntarily Nationwide Recall of Certain Pet Foods
Dennis J. Bobita
(610) 821-0608
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 26, 2007 -- Chenango Valley Pet Foods is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and voluntarily recalling pet foods manufactured with a certain shipment of rice protein concentrate. The company was informed by Wilbur-Ellis that the rice protein concentrate shipped to Chenango Valley Pet Foods may be contaminated with melamine, and instructed Chenango Valley Pet Foods to recall any pet foods manufactured with the rice protein concentrate. Melamine is an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers that may lead to illness or fatalities in animals if consumed.
The pet foods were sold to customers in Wisconsin, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania, who further sold the products to their customers through catalog mail-orders or retail outlets.
Only the following dry pet foods are involved in the recall:
DOCTORS FOSTER & SMITH CHICKEN & BROWN RICE FORMULA ADULT LITE DOG FOOD, NET WT. 5 LBS., 12.5 LBS, and 25 LBS; Code dates: Best Used By Jan 24, 09; Best Used By Feb 8, 09; Best Used By Feb 26, 09; Best Used By April 10, 09; Best Used By April 17, 09;
DOCTORS FOSTER & SMITH CHICKEN & BROWN RICE FORMULA ADULT LITE CAT FOOD, NET WT. 3 LBS. and 7 LBS.; Code date: Best Used By March 13, 09;
LICK YOUR CHOPS LAMB MEAL, RICE & EGG CAT FOOD, 4 LBS. packages,
Code date: Best Used By April 29, 08;
Bulk CHICKEN & BROWN RICE FORMULA ADULT LITE DOG FOOD sold to one consignee (SmartPak) in a 2000 lbs. tote, Ship date: Feb 9, 2007.
No illnesses or injuries have been reported to date.
Pet owners who purchased the pet foods should immediately discontinue using the products and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-610-821-0608.

Jodi Preis
BSL workshop
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » April 27th, 2007, 11:38 am

Add this to the list. It is from the Natural Balance website:

Breaking Voluntary Recall News: Thursday, April 26th, 2007

Our canned food manufacturer, American Nutrition, from Ogden Utah, just informed us that they are recalling all canned products made in their plant that contain rice protein concentrate. American Nutrition continued by telling us that they added this ingredient to four of our canned products without our knowledge or consent. The four products involved are:

Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

There have been no illnesses reported related to feeding these formulas, however, to comply with the American Nutrition recall of the four products, we are pulling all dates and batches of these four formulas. We also ask that our customers return unused product for a full credit to their store.

To make sure that this does not happen in the future, we are demanding from each of our co-manufacturers daily production record of all of our formulas before they are shipped to us and written certification of NO rice protein or any deviation of our formulas. We have reviewed all of our other products and determined that they are free of rice protein concentrate and that all of our other product labels are accurate.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 27th, 2007, 11:43 am

Just out....

April 26, 2007

Dear Pet Parents,

Due to a product-tampering incident, I regret to inform you that we are recalling all BLUE dog can products, Spa Select cat can products and BLUE Health Bars effective immediately. It is extremely difficult for us to make this announcement as we spoke with many of you last week, before this tampering incident was known, and assured you that only one production run of Spa Select kitten dry food was unfit for consumption.

The product tampering came to our attention when American Nutrition, Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of our canned dog and cat foods and biscuits, informed us that they had been adding rice protein concentrate to our canned formulas without our knowledge or approval. Apparently this has been going on for some time, and ANI only chose to inform us when the FDA began an investigation of their rice protein concentrate supplies.

While this activity by ANI is in itself unlawful, the situation is further complicated by the fact that ANI has been receiving rice protein concentrate contaminated with melamine from Wilbur-Ellis.

So while no BLUE or Spa Select canned product has tested positive for the presence of the melamine, and there have been no reported illnesses from our canned foods, we have lost all confidence in the honesty and integrity of ANI, and the products that they manufacture.

For this reason, we have decided to remove all of our canned foods and biscuits from the retail market. While this may seem to some as a major over-reaction, the Blue Buffalo Company was founded on the principle of providing the highest quality and most nutritious pet foods available to our pet parents. Anything less is not acceptable.

The obvious question is how could Blue Buffalo not know that ANI was altering the formulas by putting in an ingredient such as rice protein concentrate. The simple answer is we trusted ANI as a partner. They deliberately deceived us and betrayed our trust.

In the end, it all comes down to integrity. ANI has not been honest with us or with pet parents who trust BLUE, so we are going to temporarily stop the production and sale of all cans and biscuits until we can provide you with products that are exactly what we say they are.

We have already taken steps to identify a new manufacturer-a company with integrity that will meet the standards of excellence that our brand is known for and that pet parents have come to expect from BLUE.

We want to thank our loyal pet parents who have stood by us during these extraordinary times, and we pledge to you that we will continue to do the right thing for our beloved cats and dogs.

Sincerely,

The Bishop and The Blue Buffalo Company Family
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Jeni » April 27th, 2007, 11:47 am

Holy smokes!
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » April 27th, 2007, 12:14 pm

One more...

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

Attention
Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans, and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans, and Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans.

Diamond Pet Foods has not received any indication of quality or safety issues, including pet illness, with the three withdrawn products. However, because American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate, Diamond Pet Foods felt this action was necessary for the protection of its customers and their pets.

Customers with these products should stop feeding them immediately and return them to their retailer for a full refund.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul dry pet food and dog treats ARE NOT part of any pet food or treat recall. We manufacture all of our own dry pet foods.
Jenn
undecided

Postby a-bull » April 27th, 2007, 12:35 pm

On the odd chance that someone thinks people are being hysterical here, I would just like, again, to thank any folks here who are posting updates.

Thank you all!
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 27th, 2007, 1:05 pm

Hysterical or not, I am WORRIED about people's animals. I over heard one of my co-workers on the phone with a friend of his the other day, apparantly this friend feeds Ol Roy & said something to the effect of "I will not switch my food until a probelm arrises with my dogs". Chris repeated what he said ( while he was on the phone with him ) & needless to say I lost it. One thing I remember saying loud enough for his friend to hear " I hope the death your dogs die is painless, I can't say I have the same hope for you" :oops: Another co-worker told me " I am safe, I feed Purina One" **sigh I f'ing HATE the people I work with & the way they treat their dogs, the stories I could tell you. :rant:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » April 27th, 2007, 1:39 pm

My female has a urinary tract infection and on top of that she has had loose stools and vomitting within the past few weeks. Needless to say, my vet is ready to move in, lol. Not only am I monitoring her anally, (the dog, not my vet :D ), but I did have bloodwork done on her twice now to be sure. I'm not a big fan of "wait and see."

I should have taken that thread about setting aside a credit card for your dogs care more seriously, lol.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby 48lawsofpower » April 27th, 2007, 3:39 pm

from diamonds website

Diamond Pet Food Withdraws Products in Response to American Nutrition Inc. Pet Food Recall

META, MO (April 27, 2007) — Because of the canned pet food recall initiated by American Nutrition Inc., Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products: Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans, and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans. Please click on the press release icon to the right for the full release.

Diamond Pet Foods Manufactures All of Our Own DRY PET FOODS

Please contact our customer call center at

(866)214-6945 if you have any questions about these products.

04/26/07

FAQ About the Pet Food Recall

Q: What’s the current situation?
A: Because of the canned pet food recall initiated by American Nutrition Inc., Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition.

Q: Which products are affected?
A: There are only 3 canned products affected, Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz cans, Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz cans, and Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz cans.

Q: What “Best Byâ€
48lawsofpower
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » April 27th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Ahhhh, so they're one of the companies that used rice protein but didn't list it in their ingredients.

Thanks for that info.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 27th, 2007, 4:25 pm

NEW RECALL: Mulligan Stew and Canine Caviar Dog Food Recalled
UPDATE: Canine Caviar CEO says it’s not a “recall,â€
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » April 29th, 2007, 11:48 am

On Friday, 27 April 2007, 12:05 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:Hysterical or not, I am WORRIED about people's animals. I over heard one of my co-workers on the phone with a friend of his the other day, apparantly this friend feeds Ol Roy & said something to the effect of "I will not switch my food until a probelm arrises with my dogs". Chris repeated what he said ( while he was on the phone with him ) & needless to say I lost it. One thing I remember saying loud enough for his friend to hear " I hope the death your dogs die is painless, I can't say I have the same hope for you" :oops: Another co-worker told me " I am safe, I feed Purina One" **sigh I f'ing HATE the people I work with & the way they treat their dogs, the stories I could tell you. :rant:

Thats what people just don't get, there is still RECALLS TO BE MADE as far as I'm concerned. The ones we do know about I consider "responsible, and concerned". :| As seen from here;

http://www.howl911.com/#headlines

UT HOGS TESTED, FED RPC FROM AMERICAN NUTRITION 04/26/07
The below article from today's news pretty much confirms American Nutrition in Utah is the remaining unnamed "pet food maker" who purchased potentially tainted RPC from Wilbur-Ellis. The five pet food makers Wilbur-Ellis sold the melamine-laced Chinese RPC to are 1) Diamond Pet Foods, makers of Natural Balance dry foods (plant in MO), 2) Chenango Valley Pet Foods, makers of Drs. Foster & Smith and SmartPac/LiveSmart (plant in NY), 3) Royal Canin, plant in MO, 4) C.J. Foods, makers of Blue Buffalo dry foods (plant in KS) and 5) American Nutrition, makers of Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance wet foods.

This story, however, is far from over, as Sen. Durbin contends there is a second supplier whom the FDA has yet to name which purportedly sold potentially adulterated Chinese RPC to several pet food makers, also as yet unnamed.

There is still an unnamed supplier... I'm not convinced that all those other brands are safe... There are stil several pet food makers that have not been named. Why? No one is sick yet? Still looking into it? I don't get it...

That site also has a much different death count ~
(as of 04/24/07; 6:56 a.m. PDT):4,474 deaths (2,288 cats; 2,186 dogs)
Click HERE to report your pet's food poisoning to the FDA.
Jenn
undecided

Return to Pet Food Recall