"Harmony Farms" Canned Dog Foods, "Harmony Fa

Postby cheekymunkee » April 30th, 2007, 1:55 pm

http://nationalpetfoundation.com/foods/sierra-pet.html

Sierra Pet Products, LLC Issues Nationwide Recall of "Harmony Farms" Canned Dog Foods, "Harmony Farms" Canned Cat Foods and "Harmony Farms" Dog Treats Manufactured at American Nutrition, Inc.

Sierra Pet Products, LLC Issues Nationwide Recall of "Harmony Farms" Canned Dog Foods, "Harmony Farms" Canned Cat Foods and "Harmony Farms" Dog Treats Manufactured at American Nutrition, Inc.

Caryn Cox
203-762-2525 EXT. 20

SIERRA PET PRODUCTS, LLC, Wilton, CT, is initiating a nationwide recall of all canned dog foods, all canned cat food and all dog treats sold under its "Harmony Farms" brand. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning that the FDA has confirmed the presence of melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, in rice protein concentrate used by the contract manufacturer in the production of some of these products.

It should be noted the "Harmony Farms" canned dog and cat food products were not formulated or labeled to contain rice protein concentrate, and that the manufacturer, American Nutrition, Inc. added the rice protein concentrate to these products without Sierra Pet Products' knowledge or consent. For this reason, Sierra Pet Products is concerned that it can not have any faith in the integrity, or the accuracy of the ingredient labels of any of its products manufactured by American Nutrition. Therefore Sierra Pet Products is withdrawing all products manufactured by American Nutrition, including products that American Nutrition claims do not contain rice protein. The FDA investigation into the inclusion of the rice protein by American Nutrition in the "Harmony Farms" products is ongoing.

Consumers who have any of the "Harmony Farms" can dog foods, can cat foods, or dog treats that are being recalled should stop using the products immediately, and return any unused or partially used products to the retailer where they were purchased, for a full refund.

Sierra Pet Products has not received any reports of pet illness from any of the recalled products, but consumers are advised to speak with their veterinarian about any concerns for their pet's health.

The recall includes the following:

All Cans of "Harmony Farms" dog food
All Cans of "Harmony Farms" cat food
All "Harmony Farms" dog treats
NO HARMONY FARMS DRY DOG OR CAT FOODS SOLD IN BAGS ARE MANUFACTURED AT AMERICAN NUTRITION. NONE OF THESE DRY DOG OR CAT FOODS ARE INVOLVED IN THIS RECALL.

FDA has been apprised of this action, and Sierra Pet Products will continue to cooperate with the FDA in its investigation of this matter.

Sierra Pet Products has not received any complaints of illness or renal failure associated with the use of any of the recalled products.

Sierra Pet Products has notified its distributors and retailer customers of this recall by phone and letter and is arranging for return and credit for all recalled products.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-808-1664.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » April 30th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Same thing was reported by Natural Balance. They state on their website that they had no knowledge of the rice protein being added to their venison formulas.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 30th, 2007, 4:42 pm

so, in other words, no one really knows WHAT they are feeding their dogs because apparently, ingredient lists mean nothing.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » April 30th, 2007, 4:44 pm

On April 30 2007, cheekymunkee wrote:so, in other words, no one really knows WHAT they are feeding their dogs because apparently, ingredient lists mean nothing.

Correct. "Things can be added" anywhere along the production line. :o

Natural Balance says:

To make sure that this does not happen in the future, we are demanding from each of our co-manufacturers daily production record of all of our formulas before they are shipped to us and written certification of NO rice protein or any deviation of our formulas. We have reviewed all of our other products and determined that they are free of rice protein concentrate and that all of our other product labels are accurate
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby a-bull » April 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Well so who the heck is adding them???

I like how they try to make it sound like there's some weird guy with one eye in the production line adding in stuff without their knowledge.

Nice try.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » April 30th, 2007, 9:03 pm

On April 30 2007, a-bull wrote:Well so who the heck is adding them???

I like how they try to make it sound like there's some weird guy with one eye in the production line adding in stuff without their knowledge.

Nice try.

YES! IT WAS HIM!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » April 30th, 2007, 10:13 pm

what's weird about people with only one eye?

Maybe it was the gorgeous woman in the production line? I think beautiful people are weirder than normal people.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » April 30th, 2007, 10:20 pm

Naw, it was the dude with one green shoe and one purple shoe. HE'S weird.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » April 30th, 2007, 11:19 pm

I'd place bets on the employee that didn't get that promotion they wanted... Leave it up to the disgruntled. ;)

I'm sorta understanding it though, as maybe "this is what our food is, this is how you do it with these ingredients."... SO then they get the ingredients but don't say from WHERE or what is all included? :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby a-bull » May 1st, 2007, 9:45 am

On April 30 2007, mnp13 wrote:what's weird about people with only one eye?

Maybe it was the gorgeous woman in the production line? I think beautiful people are weirder than normal people.

No problems with his one eye---it's his weirdness we don't like . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Return to Pet Food Recall