Fish now affected by melamine-tainted feed. Numbers unknown

Postby cheekymunkee » May 9th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Latest recall-related news at: http://www.itchmo.com

Fish Fed Melamine-Tainted Feed, Rice Protein Actually Wheat Gluten

Fish now affected by melamine-tainted feed. Numbers unknown.

Fish feed contaminated: Contaminated feed went into fish feed in Canada, sold to US fish farms. Investigators have only been to one farm and no fish has entered the market yet. Learned in the last week that contaminated fish feed ingredient came through ChemNutra - the same company that supplied Menu Foods. Fish meal constitutes less than 50% of fish food.
Pet food quality control failed to detect problems: Wheat gluten added instead of rice protein concentrate due to labeling issues.

Contaminated shipments labeled wheat flour: Not labeled wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate. Wheat gluten and wheat flour are related. Pet food with contaminated rice protein concentrate actually contained wheat gluten.

Affects on farm animals not yet conclusive: Animal exposure risk assessment not yet complete. May take a week. Although the FDA is saying that the exposure to the animals was brief and the concentration is low and even if you take an extreme position of exposure, the risk is 2500 times below any known possible risk.

FDA in reactive mode: FDA is currently focused on testing new imports of wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate, not other possible suspects. FDA will look at other ingredients if they start to see unusual spikes of unexplained illnesses.
http://www.itchmo.com/read/fish-fed-mel ... d_20070508

ChemNutra Says FDA Had Fish Feed Info For Weeks

ChemNutra says information on their co-brokered deal for fish feed ingredient was in FDA’s hands in mid-April. Spokesperson Steve Stern also stated that the search of ChemNutra by federal officials announced 10 days ago should have turned up these details.

ChemNutra did receive a fee for introducing the customer to Suzhou Textiles Silk Light & Industrial Products for “a modest fee.â€
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 9th, 2007, 12:42 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Tainted Fish Feed Companies Identified
Skretting Co. of Canada has been identified by an Oregon hatchery as the company that sold melamine-tainted fish feed to the US. The affected product being used in Oregen is BioVita Starter. The hatchery found out about the problem when the FDA contacted them about testing the feed.

The fish feed is manufactured in Vancouver, Canada by the Skretting Co. It’s distributed under the Bio-Oregon label out of Longview, Wash.

It appears that seven hatcheries in the Pacific Northwest used this food — 6 in Washington, 1 in Oregon. Many of the fry in these hatcheries are released into the streams.

But the AP is reporting that a St. Louis-based broker, Diversified Ingredients Inc. sold tainted feed to Westaqua, another Vancouver, Canada company.

The head of a St. Louis company said it brokered a deal to import nearly 353,000 pounds of the Chinese wheat gluten that went directly to a Canadian aquaculture feed ingredient company called Westaqua. Listings for Canadian fish meal producers include a company called Westaqua Commodity Group Ltd. When reached by telephone, the president of the Vancouver, British Columbia company declined to talk about the matter.

“I can’t talk to you about that today,â€
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pet Food Recall