Natural Balance canned food recall

Postby iluvk9 » July 21st, 2007, 8:43 pm

7/21/07
I received this in an email from the company, but do not have any other link.

Natural Balance was informed at 2:45 pm by our USDA manufacturer, Castleberry Foods, in Augusta, GA, that they are doing a voluntary recall on all 15 oz edible foods for humans as well as our Natural Balance Eatables for Dogs (Irish Stew, Hobo Chili, Chinese Take-Out and Southern Style Dumplin's with Gravy).

This voluntary recall is from one reported case of botulism in Castleberry's human edible Hot Dog Chili Sauce. Botulism is generally due to an improperly sealed can or a can that has become damaged, thus letting air inside.

Natural Balance checks all of its cans for any kind of leakage, puffiness or damage before they are shipped, and we have found none. However, to comply with our manufacturer, we are asking that you discontinue use and return Eatables for Dogs to your store for a full refund. We will give you more information as we get it.

Their website: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Beth » July 21st, 2007, 9:31 pm

I thought the food recall scare was all over. Guess we will never again feel 100% safe in feeding our dogs commercial food again. :(
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby Jenn » July 23rd, 2007, 5:57 pm

NOTICE: July 21st, 2007: Castleberry Foods Voluntary Recall on HUMAN FOOD includes Natural Balance Eatables for Dogs.

UPDATE: July 22nd, 2007: There have been no consumer complaints or reports regarding these products. Please read below.

UPDATE: July 23rd, 2007: There has been no new information from Castleberry Foods regarding the voluntary recall.

Natural Balance was informed on July 21st, 2007 at 2:45 PM Pacific time by our USDA manufacturer, Castleberry Foods, in Augusta, GA, that they are doing a voluntary recall on all 15 oz. edible foods for humans as well as our Natural Balance Eatables for Dogs (Irish Stew, Hobo Chili, Chinese Take-Out and Southern Style Dumplin's with Gravy).

This voluntary recall is from one reported case of botulism in Castleberry's human edible Hot Dog Chili Sauce. Botulism is generally due to an improperly sealed can or a can that has become damaged, thus letting air inside. Natural Balance checks all of its cans for any kind of leakage, puffiness or damage before they are shipped, and we have found none.

However, to comply with our manufacturer, we are asking that you discontinue use and return Eatables for Dogs to your store for a full refund. We will give you more information as we get it.

I just wanted to add this, because I feel it's important.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » July 23rd, 2007, 7:23 pm

ok, while I rarely do this, I feel the need to rant; this is in no way directed at any one person or event.

Really, nothing is 100% safe. I find it odd that anyone would ever think anything was... Almost everything in the world has a big What If?
beside it, and while its good to know when recalls on any product happen, I don't think we should assume that product is therefore unsafe. We should appreciate that the company was responsible enough to acknowledge it's mistakes(mistakes are unavoidable, period), and we should keep in mind that nothing (not our jobs, not our homes, not our safety, not our financial status, not our food or our pets) in our world is totally for sure; it never was before, and it never will be, but nothing has really changed. I think we should also be OK with that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pet Food Recall