FDA Cautions Consumers about Chicken Jerky Products for Dogs

Postby cheekymunkee » September 27th, 2007, 3:44 pm

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/Chknjerky.htm

CVM Update
<<Back
September 26, 2007

FDA Cautions Consumers about Chicken Jerky Products for Dogs

The Food and Drug Administration is cautioning consumers of a potential association between development of illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky products also described as chicken tenders, strips or treats. FDA has received more than 70 complaints involving more than 95 dogs that experienced illness that their owners associated with consumption of chicken jerky products.

To date, FDA has not been able to determine a definitive cause for the reported illnesses. FDA has conducted extensive chemical and microbial testing but has not identified any contaminant. Many of the illnesses reported may be the result of causes other than eating chicken jerky.

FDA has also received preliminary information from Banfield, The Pet Hospital which suggests an association between exposure to the chicken jerky products and signs of gastrointestinal illness (vomiting, diarrhea and bloody diarrhea).

Dogs that have become ill, typically show the following signs: decreased food consumption, although some may continue to consume the treats to the exclusion of other foods; decreased activity or lethargy; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; and increased water consumption and/or increased urination. Some or all of these signs may be present in any individual. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure (increased urea nitrogen and creatinine). Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to the FDA have involved dogs that have died.

FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch the dogs closely for any signs of decreased appetite, decreased activity, increased water consumption, increased urination, vomiting and/or diarrhea; and, if the dog shows any of these signs, to discontinue feeding the chicken jerky product. The signs of illness may occur within hours to days of feeding the product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours.

Chicken treat products should not be substituted for a balanced diet and are intended to be used occasionally in small quantities.

The FDA continues to actively investigate the problem. Consumers who wish to report animal illness, please see http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html for contact information on the FDA complaint coordinator in their state.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » September 27th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Bah... what's next??? :x
My dogs LOVE those... they both wanted to have me committed after I threw them all out... :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » October 1st, 2007, 10:30 am

I am going to get a food dehydrator just for the dog so he can have the things he likes and not have to worry so much about all these crazy recalls. It makes me so mad that all of this stuff is ending up in food. I personally think there is no excuse. :evil:
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby BigDogBuford » October 1st, 2007, 10:34 am

One of our clients at work is a 1 1/2 year old golden who has permanent kidney damage and they've run every test there is. The only thing they can think of was that it was the chicken jerky treats that she was giving her.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Pet Food Recall