Cancer Prevention Diet?

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby ArtGypsy » November 30th, 2009, 9:31 pm

NOT that I think you can totally prevent cancer....
but......is there anything I can do to help 'ward' off cancer. ?
No.
That's not the way I want to word it either.

I guess what I'm wondering is, has anyone noticed that there's a certain diet that's less likely to trigger Cancer??

Like......people are supposed to eat less fat and more veggies?? Dogs? More protein no carbs?

:| :| :|
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 30th, 2009, 9:35 pm

I would think it would be something similar to the foods posted in the Cancer Diet sticky.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » November 30th, 2009, 9:43 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I would think it would be something similar to the foods posted in the Cancer Diet sticky.

well, that's the thread that made me THINK about it......... :D
But I didn't want to assume it was that.......um.............SIMPLE... :| :rolleyes2: :wink:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby plebayo » November 30th, 2009, 10:05 pm

There is a lot of information just googling on the web. The idea that I have gathered is that you want High Fat/High Protein NO CARBS, No Sugars. High in Omega 3's and 6's. Feeding vegetables high in antioxidants.

If you looking into people food, people who are into eating Raw foods, aka Live foods such as veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, swear by it and say that by cooking food above 118 degrees you kill off the natural enzymes and that cooking food itself causes cancer.

I personally think if your dog lives long enough, they are going to die from something if it isn't some kind of organ failure it's probably going to be cancer. No one really knows what causes cancer aside from genetics and exposure to certain things, I have yet to find a study that can definitely say that a certain brand of kibble causes cancer. However the general thought is that processed foods are to blame, which all dog food is processed unless you make it yourself.

I chose to put my dog on a high protein/high fat diet because I want to support her body however I can to help it fight the cancer. I know that changing my dog's food won't be curative, if it were that easy everyone would do it and cure themselves.

The other thing as well is being careful of the chemicals you use in the house. There's a thread for okay cleaning products.

I just googled this subject and I really can't find anything that anyone swears by. The diets for dogs WITH cancer are just as good use as a preventative as well...
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Suzi » December 2nd, 2009, 3:08 pm

I think if your dogs genetics make them doomed, or predisposed to getting cancer,,,what be will be.

Or you could look at the other side of the coin,,,that through years of having the convienience of processed foods,,pesticides, hormones,,etc. That we have made ourselves more likely to get the evil stuff....I guess it could be preventitive if you went totally organic,,,and paid attention to eating the antioxidents,,,etc....What's that old saying??? You are what you eat. I do know that in the old days cancer wasn't as prevelant, exspecially in younger folks,,,but maybe that's because people died earlier than they do these days from other diseases...Hmmm.....Good question,,,that I will take some time to research.....What I do know,,,is since Bells has started her RAW diet,,,,so much has changed! Beauti-Bull coat,,,,brighter personality,,,,more energy.
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 2nd, 2009, 10:46 pm

Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Canine Cancer