Carboplatin Now Available in Generic

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby hugapitbull » September 10th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I found this today on the Tripawds forum and wanted to throw it out there for folks who may be facing carboplatin therapy. Carboplatin is one of the primary drugs used for Osteosarcoma treatment. This could potentially make the treatment available to a larger number of folks.

The person posting is in Washington state, and had treatment beginning last month. The dog is 90 lbs and the treatment cost is $142 per treatment. For a comparison, Trouble's treatment started in December 2008, she was almost 70 lbs and the cost per treatment was close to $500. Wonderful news!

Sorry, my info is limited, but I was so excited to see this I had to share. Maybe some of the veterinary professionals would like to comment.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » September 10th, 2010, 4:00 pm

hugapitbull wrote:For a comparison, Trouble's treatment started in December 2008, she was almost 70 lbs and the cost per treatment was close to $500.

Holy SH!T!!!! :shock: :shock: :swoon:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » September 10th, 2010, 9:27 pm

I thought it had been generic for a while?

We used it in 2009 on my dog and purchased it as Carboplatin which is the generic name. Paraplatin is the non generic version[according to google].

The 50ml bottle costs our clinic $11, the 450ml bottle costs $70.

Hopefully more vets will be offering it because you're right, that means it hopefully makes treatment more affordable. :D
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » September 11th, 2010, 12:12 am

Carboplatin has been generic in the human world for many years now. I wonder if it's the same formulation or if something is different.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Return to Canine Cancer