Diagnosed with Cancer Today

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby loudog » March 12th, 2011, 3:38 pm

That makes sense. I wouldn't let him get to that point, but just trying to figure out how it all works.

Thanks!
loudog
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » March 12th, 2011, 5:35 pm

loudog wrote:That makes sense. I wouldn't let him get to that point, but just trying to figure out how it all works.

Thanks!

I understand... I personally am the kind of person that wants to be 'prepared' for everything, it makes me feel like I have some control even when I have none :oops:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby loudog » March 20th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Just a brief update on Louie:

It's been a little over a week since the diagnosis, and a little over two weeks since the rhinoscopy.

He's still his normal little self, but I have been noticing more snorting the last few days. Not quite as violent as before the rhinoscopy, but he's been doing it in his sleep again on occasion. The vet says this is a slow-growing cancer, but it concerns me that the snorting is occurring again so soon when they removed a good portion of the tumor during the rhinoscopy.

I keep wondering when I'll know when "it's time." The vet said it will be annoying, both for his people and him, and not so much painful, but I can't imagine it's fun for him to be snorting and struggling to breathe at times?
loudog
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » March 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm

He might learn to breathe through his mouth. Trust me you will know when it is time. Don't dwell on it. Spend the time you have left enjoying what you can with him. What are some of the things he loves to do?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby plebayo » March 20th, 2011, 1:14 pm

loudog wrote:Just a brief update on Louie:

It's been a little over a week since the diagnosis, and a little over two weeks since the rhinoscopy.

He's still his normal little self, but I have been noticing more snorting the last few days. Not quite as violent as before the rhinoscopy, but he's been doing it in his sleep again on occasion. The vet says this is a slow-growing cancer, but it concerns me that the snorting is occurring again so soon when they removed a good portion of the tumor during the rhinoscopy.

I keep wondering when I'll know when "it's time." The vet said it will be annoying, both for his people and him, and not so much painful, but I can't imagine it's fun for him to be snorting and struggling to breathe at times?

It might be kind of inflamed/swollen just from having the chunk taken out. Like Tina said just enjoy your time together. There's a commercial for a cancer clinic, the woman says her doctor gave her 2mos to live but when she went to the new clinic the doctor said "You don't have an expiration date." It's the same with your pup, just take each day at a time with no worries. He doesn't know he has cancer.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » March 20th, 2011, 8:40 pm

loudog wrote:I keep wondering when I'll know when "it's time." The vet said it will be annoying, both for his people and him, and not so much painful, but I can't imagine it's fun for him to be snorting and struggling to breathe at times?

I didn't think I'd know-- Simon didn't have any one terminal thing that was going to get him. But I knew. :| They let you know, so don't think too much about it. Enjoy your time and live in the moment. He'll tell you when it's time.

:hug3:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby loudog » March 23rd, 2011, 11:11 pm

Thank you, guys. It's just so new, it's hard to get my head around it.
TinaMartin wrote:He might learn to breathe through his mouth. Trust me you will know when it is time. Don't dwell on it. Spend the time you have left enjoying what you can with him. What are some of the things he loves to do?

He loves playing ball... I'd definitely say that's his favorite thing in life. As soon as he sees his ball, he is focused on nothing else. I have a small yard, but my mom has 6 acres so every time we go there he knows it's Chuck-It time and he chases the ball forever. I've definitely been making an effort to play more often :)

But he's not too biased, he loves most toys:

That's Lou on Monday with his new polar bear toy.

Edited for poor grammar.
loudog
Just Whelped

Postby Tubular Toby » March 24th, 2011, 12:41 am

Awww he's adorable!! Good thoughts your way!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TinaMartin » March 24th, 2011, 9:25 am

loudog wrote:Thank you, guys. It's just so new, it's hard to get my head around it.
TinaMartin wrote:He might learn to breathe through his mouth. Trust me you will know when it is time. Don't dwell on it. Spend the time you have left enjoying what you can with him. What are some of the things he loves to do?

He loves playing ball... I'd definitely say that's his favorite thing in life. As soon as he sees his ball, he is focused on nothing else. I have a small yard, but my mom has 6 acres so every time we go there he knows it's Chuck-It time and he chases the ball forever. I've definitely been making an effort to play more often :)

But he's not too biased, he loves most toys:

That's Lou on Monday with his new polar bear toy.
Maybe see if you can find a ball like toy for in the house that will keep him guessing as to which way it will bounce. I bet the 2 of you would have a lot of fun with something like that. :dance:

Edited for poor grammar.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby plebayo » March 24th, 2011, 9:59 am

He's so cute and he sounds like he's really a fun dog!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 24th, 2011, 10:07 am

He looks happy. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 24th, 2011, 9:25 pm

What a great photo!

If you have occasion, have someone take some nice photos of you & Louie together.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » March 31st, 2011, 11:33 am

Lots of :goodthoughts: headed your way for Louie. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Canine Cancer