Pit Bulls and Dog Parks Don't Mix

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 1st, 2009, 3:39 pm

Trust me, I was devastated when I realized everybody was right when they said I shouldn't take Inara to the dog park. I took her twice. She was great the first time - the 2nd time somebody brought in an Italian Greyhound that screamed any time another dog looked at her. That did it - Inara kicked into high prey drive and I'm lucky she didn't get to the Iggy. I never took her back. You just never know. I take her if it's empty, but that's it.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby jnreem » May 1st, 2009, 3:53 pm

Well the only thing that Buddy does like but makes me nervous is we have a huge open lot across from my house that is for dogs and kids to play on but not fenced it. And he will run back and forth with me and that tends to wear him out and i keep his leash on him but i will drop it so he can run ahead of me..my neighborhood isn't high traffic at all and he stops and sits before we cross the street but still i am scared he will run into the street. :|
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Kerri Love » May 26th, 2009, 6:22 pm

This does make a lot of sense to me. Bailey had a dog attack him while we were walking once and he's never quite been the same since. He used to be very curious about other dogs but not he barks at them and digs up the dirt as a warning but he doesn't attack even when they go up to him, I could see a more powerful breed acting differently. I was lucky it was another small dog that attacked him and that he wasn't injured. He doesn't trust other dogs like he used to anymore but I can understand that.

I've never taken him to a dog park, we don't have one where I live. I never let him off leash though, I just don't want to risk anything happening to him. My parents have an electric fence and since his breed doesn't have a high prey drive I trust him pretty much with it. I don't think I would for a different type of dog. We walk almost every day and I think that gives him enough exercise, especially with those little legs, I'm imagine that running might be better for a larger breed but getting any dog over excited might have consequences, at least that's what I think.

I could understand a different type of dog doing well in a dog park but it makes sense to me that not all dogs would be suited for that kind of activity.
Kerri Love
Just Whelped

Postby blinktat » October 4th, 2009, 6:33 pm

It is great to see so many responsible pit bull owners on this forum! GREAT post about dog parks and why pit bulls should not go to them. I would NEVER take my pit bull to a dog park...I love her and the breed way to to much to ever go there. Thank you to all the responsible owners!!!!

Tammy & Roxie
blinktat
Just Whelped

Postby smallstream » October 21st, 2009, 8:42 pm

When Kamala first came into our lives, we took her to the dog park. She was about seven months old. She also went to dog school for a bit as well. As she got to be about ten-ish months old, she suddenly decided other dogs looked like bait. Once she went after a GSD, (and she's only about 50lbs) and after that, it was over. Because I was new to the breed, and she's the second dog I've had in my adult life, in the position of Mom and not Sister, I was really upset. But then the person at dog school said to me "not all dog are meant to be dog park dogs" and that made sense. The more I read and learned, the more it made sense. My dog is not a vicious killer, but even so, I will not set her up for failure. (Or worse, in her eyes, winning.) Tonight I took a bully stick out of her mouth (it was small enough to fit in her mouth entirely) and gave her a dog cookie, no problem. I can pretty much anything I want to/with her, except trim her nails (takes two but not like she'd eat us) or leave her un-crated, unattended for too long as she'll potty in the house. Living with a pit bull is not at all like living with any of the other breeds I've been priveleged to share my home with. Like they say, "don't start none, won't be none," but there are times I know she'd love to "start some" and be more than happy to finish it. That's life with a pit, and you have to handle accordingly. Just like I've always thought it was nuts for folks with yorkies/italian greys to let their tiny dogs on the big dog side of the park...even if a big dog didn't mean to hurt the little one, it wouldn't take much.
smallstream
Just Whelped

Postby Choncho » December 11th, 2009, 11:43 pm

I do the same, I love taking my dog to the park the same park where he has been going since he was 12 weeks old. So far he has done great and I keep a really close eye on him when he is playing with smaller dogs. I ts hard not to let him off the leash and let him play, fetch and run around, specially going to the mud pot hole at the park. He is know by alot of people and they feel secure to see my dog off the leas because they see me watching him at all times. I have the boundaries set of how he play sometimes, there are certain things that i do not llow him to do like; Pulling other dogs collar or constantly try to take down a dog by their paws and is he doesnt stop he gets a penalty box break for 5 minutes or untill i can get him to focus on something else. I Hope you guys done mind me posting a video of of him, Hehe.
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVILBEARTX

Enjoy.

sundaysbe5t wrote:I am sad to say i bring my dog to the park and let him run off leash. Unlike other owners I am watching like a hawk at where he is and if other dogs are well socialized while playing with him. He is 7 months old and everytime im at a park a dominant dog tries to hump my boy and i have to fend them off. Also two older pits double teamed my dog the other day and my puppy is very gentle compared to older tougher playful pits, so my dog felt threatened and was going to come back to bite them but i got them off of him thankfully. By the way the owner was laughing and i wished i could have kicked his dogs! anyways my pup is fine and plays with all dogs still, but im always afraid that people will bring nonsocialized dogs to the park and attack my dog. It is just hard for me not to let him play with dogs when he wants to soo bad. i feel like im in a rock and a hard place. i just dont know what else to do because san francisco has the best dog parks around and i love watching him play and romp around. keepin him on leash isnt easy when hes getting excited. all i can say is that im a good owner by watching him like crazy and keeping him close to me. :neutral:
I am working on it.
Choncho
Just Whelped

Postby Choncho » December 11th, 2009, 11:51 pm

People expect me to go there, if I dont go one day they asked me where havea I been. I dont know what do now. Man I cant just stop taking my dog to the Dog park when he expect it too. :| :| Not much forest around Houston to take him, at leat nothing close by me, Its all freeways and buildings.
I am working on it.
Choncho
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » December 12th, 2009, 2:10 am

There will be parks where you can take your dog on-leash, because not all people like dogs, but most go to parks.

Your dog will be FINE without going to the park, he doesn't expect anything from you except love.

You are honestly questioning whether you should go or not because of what people and your dog will think? What do you think they will think if he gets into a fight with another dog? Or, if another dog starts a fight with him and he happens to win? What do you think the rest of your city will think of you and your dog if you both make it into the news because of a fight? (because whether or not your dog was right in defending himself or WHATEVER happened, it WILL be his fault, it's just the current reputation of the breed, and gives more fuel to the fire to people who wish that all Pit Bulls were dead or muzzled.)

This is bigger then dogs not getting along or a change of routine, every bad incident with a Pit Bull or dog who looks like one is another push toward people not being able to own these dogs, period. In Ontario Pit Bulls are banned throughout, if you bring your dog into the Province after the ban and he looks like a Pit Bull but is not, YOU have the responsibility to prove that he is not; if you are not able to prove that your dog is not a Pit Bull and he has come to the province since the ban, your dog can be confiscated on the spot and either euthanized or sold to a research facility.
Ontario happened because of all the hype around this breed and some pushy politicians, that is all it took. How would you feel if your dog helped to make something like Ontario happened?
That, is why you shouldn't bring your dog to a dog park.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » December 12th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Choncho wrote:I do the same, I love taking my dog to the park the same park where he has been going since he was 12 weeks old. So far he has done great and I keep a really close eye on him when he is playing with smaller dogs. I ts hard not to let him off the leash and let him play, fetch and run around, specially going to the mud pot hole at the park.

You could at least keep him on a long lead... they make them up to 30 feet long or so. This way he can run and play, but you are also still in control if/when something should happen. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Choncho » December 14th, 2009, 6:07 pm

:| :| :| :| :| :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am working on it.
Choncho
Just Whelped

Postby DogsRPeople » March 30th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Hey,

I know this topic hasn't had a post in a while, but like some I learned early on.

We first got Lily at 7 months old. we have a park near by that people let their dogs off leash, and when we first went we had her leashed. My the funny looks we got. After a couple times ON leash,
we let her go. She had a Great time. She especially liked the 140lb labs that were there. That was
the first time we figured out she liked going in the water. Although she runs when we turn on the
garden hose. :)

A few months later we got Sandy. We did the same thing with her, but Sandy is HIGH energy
compared to Lily, so we were a bit worried, as that may lead to problems.

After about the forth time it turned bad.

I was walking with one owner, and talking about her vibrating collar, when I heard a commotion.
Looked over and this lady was holding her little dog in one arm, and had Sandy in the air by her
harness, and about ten or so other dogs were surrounding her also.

I ran as fast as I could, and just as I got to the lady, sandy slipped out of her harness. OMG
I tried doing a defensive tackle on Sandy, and hit the dirt. No Sandy! Missed...

Anyways, after all was over, and we got our dogs under control, the lady yelled at me.
She told me to get my F#@*ing pitbulls out of here, and never come back. I felt really terrible.

Her dog was OK, but her shorts were ripped. No one got seriously hurt.

I asked a lady standing near by if she saw what started it. She said, yeah. Her dog bit your white
dog in the chest, and all hell broke loose. hmm so, Sandy was protecting her sister.

I checked over lily and found a spot of blood on her chest. Ah ha
Then the lady also said, "her dog is always starting fights with the bigger dogs here."

Well, needless to say, that was the last time they went off leash anywhere. I really like the idea
of the tennis court. we have a good size backyard, but that would be better, as we could
also walk them there.

Robert
DogsRPeople
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 31st, 2010, 9:27 am

My best friend has two Golden Retreivers that she loved to take to the dog park and let run off leash. They were really friendly with other dogs, UNTIL the male got jumped by a Rotti at the dog park. The male dog has never been the same since, he mistrusts other dogs and will not tolerate most visiting dogs at his home.

I always keep my dog on leash in public and I carry pepper spray for those encounters with off leash dogs in case it gets ugly.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 4th, 2011, 12:04 pm

cyberchef wrote:How silliy is this advice.
PitZBulls are not bread to be Dog aggressive. In fact they are bread to bethe NANNY dog,
To protect human children
NOT AS FIGHTING DOGS''

Anyone who thinks Pit Bulls have been read to fight knows NOTHING about pit bulls

:popcorn2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2011, 12:11 pm

cyberchef wrote:How silliy is this advice.
PitZBulls are not bread to be Dog aggressive. In fact they are bread to bethe NANNY dog,
To protect human children
NOT AS FIGHTING DOGS''

Anyone who thinks Pit Bulls have been read to fight knows NOTHING about pit bulls

You don't say... :martini:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2011, 12:19 pm

cyberchef wrote:To thinlk that a Pit Bull go to the dog park and he or she cant be off liesh,;
dont belivr thr buushit

Piybulls do jus finre at dog parks the info here is just STUPID

Too much cooking sherry in the oatmeal this morning, Chef? :mrgreen:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby copperlegend » January 4th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Oh my.

Even if I 100% trusted my dogs to not start annoying another dog so much that it turns into a scuffle, I don't trust anyone else's dogs to leave mine alone. This goes for the ankle biters, the labs, the 'family dogs', etc.

cyberchef, it appears your keyboard is broken. A lot of your posts make little sense with all those missing letters.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2011, 12:29 pm

copperlegend wrote:cyberchef, it appears your keyboard is broken. A lot of your posts make little sense with all those missing letters.

:wine:

:wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk