How NOT to Break Up a Dog Fight-GRAPHIC VIDEO

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby DemoDick » March 15th, 2008, 4:15 pm

This video shows exactly what NOT to do should you have to deal with a dog fight. It's graphic but it's worth watching if you need to know how to handle this situation (and if you own a Pit, you do).

Pulling a dog off a bite taps into opposition reflex and makes him want to re-grip deeper and harder. Becoming hectic yourself makes the dog hectic.

How fast could this have ended if one of these two men knew how to safely choke a dog off and gave clear instructions to the other? The ACO had a snare-pole around the red dog's neck but didn't constrict it. The black guy just kept pulling his dog backwards by the flanks. He had a leash in his hand at the beginning which could have been used to choke the blue dog out. Bad form all around, and a good example of how not knowing what to do can make a bad situation much, much worse.

Please not, this is not a "bash the ACO" thread. It appears that this guy wasn't trained properly, which is not his fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiO_duX ... re=related

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » March 15th, 2008, 4:46 pm

OMG...how clueless were they? I'm amazed that they thought that just pulling the dogs would work.

*sigh*

Poor dogs...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ellie@ny » March 15th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Sorry,but I still have to say:WHAT AN IDIOT!
:x
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby DemoDick » March 15th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Not knowing does not make one an idiot.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby airwalk » March 15th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Wow that was hard to watch...I will, next week, play it for our Officers and shelter staff just as a reminder. Thanks
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2008, 5:15 pm

well, you'd think they'd at least do it in steps. #1 tie up the leashed dog while the ACO held the snared dog in place, #2, work on separating the other 2. That was just pandemonium.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby airwalk » March 15th, 2008, 5:17 pm

On March 15 2008, 4:15 PM, Malli wrote:well, you'd think they'd at least do it in steps. #1 tie up the leashed dog while the ACO held the snared dog in place, #2, work on separating the other 2. That was just pandamonium.

Malli, that was my thought as well...you'd think they get the dogs tethered away once they get one separated to reduce the # to deal with, which is why it's a good reminder.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Moe » March 15th, 2008, 5:37 pm

So sad, not going to bash the guy who had no clue on what to do, and a lot of people when in the moment of choas just do instinct reactions, to stop what is going on....Poor dogs :cry:
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby babyreba » March 15th, 2008, 9:20 pm

since the day they put clips from that on the news, i've been very suspicious of that "fight" that just happened on a street corner when the news was there doing a story on the pit bull problem in baltimore . . . this was aired right after a pit bull attack made news and everyone was all up in arms.

i suspect that they let that fight go on intentionally so they could do the video. despite the fact that they are pulling the dogs apart, no one is trying very hard to actually separate them.

and how weird that the TV News happened to be out for the ridealong when this happened . . . and how weird that it happened to be a day when an ACO got such a melodramatic call--a 3-way pit bull fight out on the street in broad daylight!

i suspect that the whole "fight" was a setup.

but, um, that is sorta off topic, isn't it? sorry! that video made me so angry--and the fact that they put it on TV in an abridged version made me even angrier!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » March 15th, 2008, 9:32 pm

I have to admit the first time Yoda got into a scrap I was completely unprepared and totally panicked. I had heard of choking a dog off before but honestly everything happened so quickly and before I knew it Yoda latched on and would NOT let go and my rational thinking went right out the window. There were 3 guys trying to get Yoda off of the dog and of course nothing was working until things clicked in and I choked him off of the dog.

Since then I have had one other mishap with him that I honestly feel was unpreventable and I was able to quickly separate him.

I can't stress enough how important it is to know what to do in a situation like this.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby madremissy » March 15th, 2008, 9:54 pm

I don't really watch things when yall warn that it is graphic, but I did and I am horrified but I am thankful to you Demo that you are trying to let people know that is the wrong way. TOTALLY. You can explain all you want but to see it done like that and it didn't look like they were trying very hard to seperate them.It gives people a visual. Anyway, I am a little shaken so if this doesn't make sense, sorry. I know now that I could choke Kinzyl off because she always wears her collar or I have the choke collar on her with her collar when I walk her. I wouldn't use the choke collar but her flat collar. But I am still leary on how to do something with the other dog with no collar. For example, Gotty doesn't wear a collar around the house. When he goes out Josh puts his collar with tags on and the prong. But I guess my question would be if Gotty lached on how would I get him off. They have been in one scuffle but a loud NO stopped it. That was when we first got Kinzyl. I am rambling I know I am sorry. If I am out in public. I remember someone talking about tieing one off but what if there is nothing to tie on to. I am confused about that.
So in the video the guy with the pole was not choking the dog off. The other guy was just patting his dog on the butt to make him let go. What exactly should have transpired. Especially with the third dog to. :? :? :?

Again a horrible situation and shows if you own ANY DOG you should know how to do this.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2008, 10:11 pm

You can choke off a dog with just about anything. If you have a leash handy just loop the end through the handle and make a noose. If the dog has a choke collar on, use it, the faster they run out of air the faster the whole ordeal is over.

I didn't watch the video.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » March 15th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Thank you. That is what I was thinking I could do it with her leash. Ok thank you. :greenWave:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby robc » March 16th, 2008, 1:26 am

On March 15 2008, 8:46 PM, TheRedQueen wrote:OMG...how clueless were they? I'm amazed that they thought that just pulling the dogs would work.

*sigh*

Poor dogs...
all he needed was a break stick or something....pulling is going to make him hold on tighter and tear up the other dog....... :crazy:
robc
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Magnolia618 » March 16th, 2008, 1:36 am

That black dog just looked like he wanted to play. lol

That is crazy.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 16th, 2008, 2:30 am

On March 15 2008, 7:20 PM, babyreba wrote:since the day they put clips from that on the news, i've been very suspicious of that "fight" that just happened on a street corner when the news was there doing a story on the pit bull problem in baltimore . . . this was aired right after a pit bull attack made news and everyone was all up in arms.

i suspect that they let that fight go on intentionally so they could do the video. despite the fact that they are pulling the dogs apart, no one is trying very hard to actually separate them.

and how weird that the TV News happened to be out for the ridealong when this happened . . . and how weird that it happened to be a day when an ACO got such a melodramatic call--a 3-way pit bull fight out on the street in broad daylight!

but, um, that is sorta off topic, isn't it? sorry! that video made me so angry--and the fact that they put it on TV in an abridged version made me even angrier!

I got that too. Looks totally set up to me. Which sucks out loud. Why in the hell wasn't that black dog tied up FIRST? VERY painful to watch and needless damage done to that red dog. I mean, a little bit of common sense goes a loooong way.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on March 16th, 2008, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » March 16th, 2008, 2:30 am

On March 16 2008, 01:26, robc wrote:
On March 15 2008, 8:46 PM, TheRedQueen wrote:OMG...how clueless were they? I'm amazed that they thought that just pulling the dogs would work.

*sigh*

Poor dogs...
all he needed was a break stick or something....pulling is going to make him hold on tighter and tear up the other dog....... :crazy:

A break stick is how dog fighters separate dogs in the pit. The advantage it offers is that the handler doesn't have to wind (tire out) his own fighting dog by choking him out. I own a break stick and would never use it to separate two dogs, mainly because it's a good way to get bit in the hands.

Outside of the pit, the single best way we've found is to use a collar, leash, or something similar to constrict the dog's neck. You could even use your own belt or a piece of rope. The dog being choked out will either (1) decide to let go out of instinct in order to breathe or (2) pass out from loss of oxygen to his brain. In either case, he will let go. Both of the men in this video had the means on hand to use this technique, but it looks like they just weren't aware of it.

Of course step one is preventing the fight in the first place.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » March 16th, 2008, 2:39 am

On March 15 2008, 21:20, babyreba wrote:since the day they put clips from that on the news, i've been very suspicious of that "fight" that just happened on a street corner when the news was there doing a story on the pit bull problem in baltimore . . . this was aired right after a pit bull attack made news and everyone was all up in arms.

While I think the news is hardly trustworthy, I don't think it was staged. If it was these two deserve Academy Awards. Also, if you believe Cops, LEO's jump in their car at the beginning of their shift and 1 minute later are chasing a bad guy through backyards. In reality they drive around for a long time waiting for something to happen. The boring stuff is edited out or never taped. Who knows how long the camera person rode around with the ACO?

The guys look generally clueless, and that is the best evidence for me that they weren't conspiring. When someone fakes a video like this, they try to make themselves look as good as possible, not inept.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby bahamutt99 » March 16th, 2008, 5:55 am

You know what struck me as so idiotic about the situation? The dog owner patting his dog on the side and saying "c'mon girl, c'mon girl, let him go." All that dog is thinking is, "daddy's petting me and talking nice! I'm doing good!"
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby robc » March 16th, 2008, 8:40 am

On March 16 2008, 6:39 AM, DemoDick wrote:
On March 15 2008, 21:20, babyreba wrote:since the day they put clips from that on the news, i've been very suspicious of that "fight" that just happened on a street corner when the news was there doing a story on the pit bull problem in baltimore . . . this was aired right after a pit bull attack made news and everyone was all up in arms.

While I think the news is hardly trustworthy, I don't think it was staged. If it was these two deserve Academy Awards. Also, if you believe Cops, LEO's jump in their car at the beginning of their shift and 1 minute later are chasing a bad guy through backyards. In reality they drive around for a long time waiting for something to happen. The boring stuff is edited out or never taped. Who knows how long the camera person rode around with the ACO?

The guys look generally clueless, and that is the best evidence for me that they weren't conspiring. When someone fakes a video like this, they try to make themselves look as good as possible, not inept.

Demo Dick
I've never used a break stick...I thought they were effective. My dad's dog Blue locked onto a branch of a tree once and for some reason would not let go and we tried chocking him out but it didn't work....he's just too big...I'm 240 lbs and couldn't do it....he just sat there. We finally sprayed water on him and he let go...maybe I did it wrong but I'd rather choke him out then use a break stick. I plan on having peper spray on me in case another dog comes at mine...I'll spray it right in the face. I don't want to hurt another dog but it's not permanent damage and will protect mind and keep him from potentially getting in a fight....rob
robc
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk