Wish me and rufus luck

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 8:40 pm

tomorrow rufus is going to a 2nd grade school for mentally/physically disabled children for them to read to him. we are set to be at the school for 1:15. he goes to the hospital and nursing homes, so this will be totally different for him. of course tomorrow is friday the 13th too....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Have a great time! I'm looking for something similar in my area, Ruby is so quiet anyway, I think it would be a perfict fit.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » January 12th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Good luck and have fun!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 9:18 pm

thanks. michelle, you can contact the schools near you and see if they want to have the READ program. you will be the captain, and can work out the details with the school.. the woman at the school i am going to told the students about rufus, and they told her they were very excited to see him tomorrow.. i wish i was rich so i could go there more then once a month.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby JainDaugh » January 12th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Maryellen you and Rufus are solid GOLD. I am all atwitter waiting to hear about this venture of yours. It should be a media event! But that can wait until other schools BEG for you to come. I just know that will happen too :)
JainDaugh

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 10:01 pm

i can only do this one, as i am taking vacation time every month to do this. i am taking 1/2 a vacation day every month to bring rufus to school.... i need to be either rich or retired....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I am blessed with a boss who understands that work is what you do to live life, not the other way around.

I get a half day off every Wednesday so Ruby and I can go do pet therapy at the Psyche Center. We visit with the geriatric transitional residents. Every week comes with another funny story, and usually a new break through event. It's great, but very taxing sometimes.

I'd have to find a school that could take us for an hour or so on Wednesdays before the psyche center visit if I want to fit it in.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 10:40 pm

OMG i am sooo jealous of you!!!! i wish my boss was like that.. call around the schools and see if they want to do the READ program, its easy. the kids read to the dogs. they might be very welcoming to it..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » January 13th, 2006, 12:14 am

Good Luck Maryellen and Rufus! What a great program, I'm sure it gets the kids more interested in reading. I hope you can take some pics to show us all!
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 13th, 2006, 12:53 am

Good luck, ME! Friday the 13th is a lucky day! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Miakoda » January 13th, 2006, 1:40 am

Yay! I know that the kids truly enjoy it & I applaud you & Rudy. I have 1 dog, Sukari, that is a therapy dog & I've found the she seems to enjoy the visits to a local school's special education department more fun than anywhere else! And I love the "read to dogs" program. It helps so much for any child to have someone/somedog to listen & not poke fun.

Have a good time tomorrow! :D
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby pibblegrl » January 13th, 2006, 11:41 am

OOh, Maryellen, how cool!

Have fun!
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby GreddyGirl » January 13th, 2006, 11:57 am

Have fun! :D
GreddyGirl
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 13th, 2006, 6:13 pm

we just got back. Rufus did EXCELLENT.. he had 20 children read to him..we were there for an hour and a half.. the woman took pictures as i think they have a website.. at the end all the kids came and hugged him and say thank you.... it was very very enriching today..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2006, 6:17 pm

awesome!

I told my boss about that program today, he's on board with me getting involved. I love my boss.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » January 13th, 2006, 6:48 pm

your boss is Awesome!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby JainDaugh » January 13th, 2006, 7:18 pm

YEA!!! Maryellen and Rufus too!!! [I want a hand springs emoticon!!!] This is marvelous and ought to be a 'human interest' story on the evening news!! I am so proud of you both - where is that HUG icon?!? Love and kisses coming your way from me and a high 5 from Strak too.
JainDaugh

Postby Romanwild » January 13th, 2006, 7:29 pm

I'm really glad it went so well! Score another for the pit bulls!

I just tried to get Dreyfus into the teen center and they said NO. They already o.k.d me for a bite prevention talk but won't let dogs in?

Way to go Maryellen!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 13th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Glad to hear things went well. That is awesome that they have that program. Have a great weekend!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 13th, 2006, 7:49 pm

thats probably because dreyfus is not certified as a therapy dog..you should take the test, get him certified, then try again for bite prevention, and then get him in the local hospital, or school for reading..... once you get the therapy title, more doors will open up..
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk