Dog Bite Analysis Wanted

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby delilahsmommy » August 15th, 2008, 11:45 pm

wow you poor thing!!! i would have been screaming like a maniac!!! and i would have probly punch the dog in the eye.....hope your arm heals up good but not to good cuz scars give lots of character:P
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » August 16th, 2008, 1:22 am

I think many pet owners would leap to the conclusion of euthanizing a dog for behavior like this...especially with a dog that large, regardless of prior problems. :| I don't know that it really indicates them hiding some problem...or just indicates their concern at keeping others safe in the future. :neutral:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » August 16th, 2008, 3:32 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I think many pet owners would leap to the conclusion of euthanizing a dog for behavior like this...especially with a dog that large, regardless of prior problems. :| I don't know that it really indicates them hiding some problem...or just indicates their concern at keeping others safe in the future. :neutral:

Yea, I tend to agree that it doesn't indicate that this has happened before. I do, though, think this means that the owners realize how serious this is and that they will do what is necessary to correct the problem. Either way though, I'm sorry you had to experience this. It will probably continue to hurt more over the next three to four days, but after that you should start to feel better. I've had my fair share of dog bites and I know what you're going through. No fun!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby KJS » August 16th, 2008, 4:12 am

CRIPES! So sorry you got bitten :( ...and by a Saint as well :nono: it is a scary lot of dog to witness when they turn that I do know...and since I have seen quite a few and owned 3 I'm sorry to say it does happen quite a bit...when a big dog like that gets out of line its WAY out of line...on a side note the link to the SR page made me note that the dog that bit me at the dog asiel here was listed also ( the Bernese Mountain Dog) and that was much as you describe also, no warning...then a screaming, snarling attack...and then went back to being a dog again...after that it was told to me that he had actually done it a few times before and that he was now to be PTS....I was seriously peeved because we had just walked him and two other dogs with 2 of my smaller children present...if they know something like that about a dog they should tell first so that the dog can be managed preoperly.

bear in mind that my second Saint had to be pts after he bit twice in 2 days and he was diagnosed with a brain tumour afterwards...maybe its also something to consider?
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » August 18th, 2008, 9:06 am

I'm sorry you went through this.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby DemoDick » August 20th, 2008, 6:33 pm

I think it's a lot more likely that the dog has learned behavioral problems due to mismanagement at home than a rare medical condition. The odds are more in line with "bratty dog syndrome" than "sudden rage syndrome". The fact that he shows other dominance behaviors is consistent with this.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TinaMartin » August 20th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Whats happened with this? Did the owners say anything? Is it healing ok?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby dlynne1123 » August 21st, 2008, 8:17 pm

I know i'm a little late but as a vet tech we've seen this a few times in random breeds. In these cases the rage didn't have an off switch unless someone beat the dog half to death with a board or got the wind knocked out of it. The few people that were willing to work up the dog found out seizures shortly followed with symptoms of a brain tumor. Now no one in new england does MRIs but it was a pretty good diagnosis considering it progressed even with steroid treatment and there was a visual deformity in teh dogs head after two monthes of treatment. The rage progressed and the dog was put to sleep and tested for rabies to be sure. It was negative.

I would support some kind of mild seizure and consider a brain deformity or tumor, regardless of the dogs age it is more common now a days and it is very scary. I bet if more people could afford a work up on a dog like this we woud find small tumors that were growing...especially in a large breed dog where both head and brain are still growing, this may escalate with age due to more growth.

This is in the case where behavioral traits were missed and all dominance issues were ruled out.
We've seen these cases in all breeds including grey hounds and mixes lately. Oh, and one cattle dog, in the 8 years I've been a tech. If I were the clients I would consider and necropsy if they do decide to euthanize. It may ease their mind if it is in fact a tumor rather than just plain old poor big dog dominance bossiness.

I also agree if they are jumping to euthanasia that it could have happened before!

Glad to hear you survived! Thats a big dog to get bit by and not have any broken bones, especially on the forearm! Hope you are doing better!

~Dani
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » August 21st, 2008, 8:21 pm

And on another note, cancer is seeming to be genetic so if it was poor breeding it makes him more inclined to show cancers at a younger age...
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » August 21st, 2008, 11:17 pm

So the parents are going the evaluation route. They've scheduled an appointment with their vet and a behaviorist. We'll see what happens from here.

Apparently the mom has a care package that she wants to give me.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » August 21st, 2008, 11:33 pm

hmmm that better be a pretty damn good care package!
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » August 21st, 2008, 11:40 pm

airwalk wrote:hmmm that better be a pretty damn good care package!

She's probably going to freak out when she hears I've been in and out of the hospital.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » August 21st, 2008, 11:43 pm

I'm kind of thinking she should freak out a bit! If he's never done it before, then they are taking the right route..if he has, then they endangered you.
airwalk
I live here

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk