My dad...

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby DeeNtheChillas » July 10th, 2010, 9:57 pm

My dad loves Valentino. He can't hide it. He's never been fond of pit bulls - not because of the things he has heard but because he thinks they are "ugly" :rolleyes2: - he's a lab and Border Collie kind of guy. But he can't deny how much he loves Val (which is at least as much as our other two, who used to live with him).

Every time I go somewhere with my parents and they bring me home, he has to "use the bathroom" and comes in and lets Val out of his crate, makes him sit and clips on his leash to take him outside. I tell him over and over that we have a routine and he's ruining it and he says "someone has to spoil him!" :doh:

I love how much he's accepted Val. I don't ever want him to get a pit of his own - I don't think he'd be the right type of owner - but I'm glad he can love ours.
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby furever_pit » July 10th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Aw, that's awesome. :D
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby WackyJacki » July 11th, 2010, 12:35 am

Isn't it funny how that happens. :mrgreen:
Custom collars, harnesses and leashes
http://www.collarshop.org
WackyJacki
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » July 11th, 2010, 6:17 am

I love how he sneaks to see Valentino. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 11th, 2010, 9:07 am

iluvk9 wrote:I love how he sneaks to see Valentino. :giggle:

Ditto! 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 11th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Aww, that's sweet.
My parents love my dogs-- but they're chihuahua people.

Phil Grandpa always tells us it's Piper's turn to come visit. They are pit lovers now too.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » July 11th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Heehee, he has to use the bathroom... Gotta love it when people you love, end up loving your dog.

My parents are very german shepherd, golden retriever, irish setter kind of people, but J has won them over. My stepdad is just sooo happy to see him every time we come over, especially since their golden passed away. He lets J out of our room, and takes her out to potty at 4 am when he wakes up... And then they hang out until everyone else wakes up. He also tries to sneak her table food. Not funny.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » July 11th, 2010, 10:18 pm

My dad LOVES to find excuses to come see Kodi. I'm sure he likes Mia, but he thinks she's to big. He's even pulled the bathroom stunt to! Now if I could only stop him from teaching them bad habbits!!! Kodi gets away with anything when dad's around.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby HappyPuppy » July 14th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Re OP, I get the same thing from my my parents when they they visit. Step-dad insists on taking Ruby on multiple walks a day (and he's a cat person! :D ) and I insist to NOT let her pull and when I complain to mom that I do not let her pull me down the street, she says, 'Grandparents get to indulge/spoil ... and then go home." Can't argue with that when they used to hate pit bulls - tho I think they still hate all other pit bulls tho they adore my Ruby girl!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2010, 4:21 pm

My 70-year old mother is NOT an animals person at all, and even though she and my brother got Seppel Puppy for me in 2008, she was not a fan of Pit Bulls...

When she visited me last year... OMG!!! Talk about a total change of heart - Faust won her over in about 30 seconds... she ended up cooking for the boys, and every Wednesday they got a special meal, prepared by her (oats, hamburger, shredded carrots... and it all had to be fresh, mind you - no frozen meat, and organic carrots from the farmers market :crazy2: ).
Every night at 8 PM it was time for treats - the boys had to sit nicely, and take the treats gently. When my Mom was done feeding them she would say "No more... maybe tomorrow!", and Faust would let out a HUGE sigh of diappointment, and plop down at her feet... my Mother ws completely smitten... lol
For the three weeks she was here the boys got to sneak on the couch w/her, got to watch her cook in the kitchen (I don't allow them in there, usually), she bought something for them every time we went anywhere, and she learned all commands in English (sit, stay, down, etc.)... it was mind-boggling for me to watch. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Before she left we printed out a ton of pics so she would be able to show her friends that she had two Pit Bull grandsons... she calls them "Omas favorite (Faust), and "Omas *other favorite*" (Sepp)... too, too funny. :giggle:

She knitted a blanket for Faust because of his allergies... and anytime I receive a package from her now, at least half the contents are for the dogs. When we talk on the phone the first questions is ALWAYS :" How are the dogs???" Then she laughs and apologizes, and says:" I meant... how are YOU???" It cracks me up everyt time. :lol3:

My boys have given my Mother a completely different outlook, and now we often talk about all the restrictions Pit bull owners face in Germany (where she lives)... and a few weeks ago my Mom told me that "she met a Pit Bull on the street, and he was the sweetest thing", and how sorry she felt for him and his owner since he had to be muzzled outside just because of his breed.

I am SO proud of my Mom for being willing to get to know my boys, and for getting past her stereo-type thinking... and I love her for loving my dogs. :heartbeat:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DeeNtheChillas » July 20th, 2010, 9:53 pm

My parents and myself and my hubby are going to my family's cabin in the Finger Lakes region this weekend.

My dad asked me to bring Val so his lab Odin would have someone to play with.

Then he asked me to leave the two little ones home with his father so the boys "could spend time together."

:rolleyes2:
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk