Patterdale Mix or Pit?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby huskyhouse » September 3rd, 2010, 8:35 pm

I pulled this little girl from the shelter this past week, she's the tiniest bully I've ever seen, 28 lbs. and maybe 14 inches at the withers, could she be a Patterdale mix?

huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby plebayo » September 3rd, 2010, 9:07 pm

The only reason I would say no is that Patterdale Terriers are not super popular so I would think 9x out of 10 you're looking at a pit mix. She's absolutely adorable and looks really sweet :D.

Also the standard for Pit Bull females is 30-50lbs... height ranging from 18" - 24" at the shoulders. I realize there are 80lb Pit Bulls running around but even males are supposed to only go up to the 60lb range. She could just be a little bit on the small side, maybe the runt of her litter?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » September 3rd, 2010, 10:10 pm

She could easily be a pure bred Pit Bull. There are a number of people who compete in weight pull with tiny Pit Bulls, I believe Missy's dogs are in the low to mid 30 pound range, and Soleil isn't much larger than that either. So a small dog of one of those litters could be 28 pounds full grown - or under weight or under muscle.

I agree with Suzanne, Patterdales are pretty rare so a mix would be a long shot. If there was white on her I would say maybe a JRT mix if anything. We're so conditioned to seeing the oversized ones now that the correct sizes look weird. 28 pounds is really only a touch under the small end of the standard.

Riggs is 45-47 pounds when he's at correct weight, though I've been told he looks bigger in pictures, measurement wise he's pretty little.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 3rd, 2010, 10:28 pm

What a doll!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby huskyhouse » September 4th, 2010, 12:28 pm

I was grasping at the Patterdale just for the size factor, but good to know they can come this small :) .
huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk