Boss update, and a question about Ollie

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitsnok » January 26th, 2011, 2:30 am

So I wanted to share with you guys since I have confided in you all about Boss and his 'issues'... he is like a totally different dog now.
He hasn't even mouthed me in the past few weeks. I have started to 'test' him a bit during play, which was a time that he really didn't know not to nip. He won't even attempt it anymore! I can take toys from him, and every morning when he gets out of his crate we run around the house while I chase him pretending to try to get his galileo bone, and he chases me and keeps it away from me. He LOVES it. He hops around, frolics, bows and scoots. I can reach for his bone, and even today we were kind of tugging it, and when I said drop it, he did!! He finally knows how to play with a human and I am SO thrilled!!! :dance:
He goes into his crate when he is asked, and we always give him a treat of some kind. Sometimes they are super valuable, as today when he got a REAL bone, and sometimes just a couple of charlee bears for his efforts. He eats in his crate, and always has a galileo bone and a kong in with him. We got him one of those 'pet rugs' a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't even shredded it yet, which is really surprising because he has shredded all the other bedding we have given him. He still isn't quiet when in his crate... unless Degan and Harlow are in theirs as well. It's quite annoying, I would really think that after THIS LONG they would all just get over it and shut up, but I'm starting to think they just like to complain!

Anyway, it sounds crazy, but it seems like as soon as Ollie was gone, Boss was a happier dog. I think he needed one on one attention, and maybe was annoyed by the hyper puppy, or something. He still gets to play with Harlow almost every day, but with no toys, and no treats unless I am hovering over them. He doesn't ever try to steal treats just if something is nearby and the other gets close, that's when he gets snarky. The only problem that ever arises is that he guards us...and I'm not sure how to fix that. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great.

I am SO pleased with him, and it will be really hard to let go of him, but I do think he will eventually be able to be adopted to a home with no other dogs, and I would absolutely be up front about his issues to anyone interested.

Anyway, my other question is about Ollie. I spoke with my friend who adopted him today and we are planning on going over to visit tomorrow evening. But I started wondering if maybe it is too soon, for myself somewhat, but especially for Ollie. I am worried that he would get really confused and maybe sad or something when we left...just because he hasn't been away from us long enough. Do you guys think I am totally over thinking that whole thing? I just don't even know! haha!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 26th, 2011, 6:52 am

pitsnok wrote: I am worried that he would get really confused and maybe sad or something when we left...just because he hasn't been away from us long enough. Do you guys think I am totally over thinking that whole thing? I just don't even know! haha!

I can't help you with the other stuff, but while I TOTALLY give my dogs human emotions, they don't have them. When I left them in the kennel for 1 week, Harleybird, who is attached to my hip, WALKED RIGHT PAST ME as my arms were open to hug him and feel the love! :rolleyes2: He saw a fluff of dander on the floor behind me, and was interested in that.

So, my answer would be...go. If you can handle it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Tubular Toby » January 26th, 2011, 10:40 am

iluvk9 wrote:
pitsnok wrote: I am worried that he would get really confused and maybe sad or something when we left...just because he hasn't been away from us long enough. Do you guys think I am totally over thinking that whole thing? I just don't even know! haha!

I can't help you with the other stuff, but while I TOTALLY give my dogs human emotions, they don't have them. When I left them in the kennel for 1 week, Harleybird, who is attached to my hip, WALKED RIGHT PAST ME as my arms were open to hug him and feel the love! :rolleyes2: He saw a fluff of dander on the floor behind me, and was interested in that.

So, my answer would be...go. If you can handle it.

Agreed. HE will be fine. If you think YOU will be fine with it, then do it. If you think you need more time, then wait. But Ollie will be fine.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 26th, 2011, 10:47 am

Yup, the dogs are usually fine, UNLESS the person acts like a fool. ;) I trained Service Dogs with an organization. I had dogs that I trained (some that still lived at my house, some that had moved on to other trainers, some that moved onto being partnered for life) that would be working with other people on the training floor. And because I didn't get all mushy, they kept their minds in the game and worked with that person...if they were partnered, they often didn't give me a second glance...because they had a new relationship and it was good.

But other trainers...some of them just couldn't contain themselves and would cry out "Oh! there's my boy!" and the dog would freak out and pull and embarass the person holding the leash. ;) Or they'd sneak around and peer at the dog from around doorways, which would also freak out the dog..."what are they doing?" If I spoke to the person with my dog, I'd speak calmly and pet the dog in a calm manner. Other trainers would hug and kiss and get all up in the dog's grill...until they were whipped into a frenzy also. :nono:

So yes, from many experiences, it's all about us...not the dog. ;) If you can handle it...so can he. They do have emotions, I'm not saying that they don't...but and I'm not saying that he won't be sad...but he will survive, and will go onto have a great day the next day with his new dad. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » January 27th, 2011, 6:04 am

I decided not to go see him tonight. I was honest...and said "I might be really sad!" So we are going to give it a couple of more weeks.

He is doing great in his home. Brandon said he is still skinny, but everything else is perfect. I think Ollie is just destined to be a thin dog...which is fine by me, I just know some people are quick to say dogs are starving if their ribs show...

Anyway, Boss even played with Tanner tonight. It made me really happy to know it's not just me that he's comfortable with. I can't even explain to you how happy HE is when he's playing, or how happy that makes ME!!
We are cuddling right now.... he is snoring SO FREAKING LOUD. You guys, I'm not kidding, Boss snores louder than ANY living being I have ever heard snore. Our vet determined that he has an elongated pallet, and it's nothing to worry about... but GEEZ!! It is seriously like.... fat old grandpa snores... and if we try to wake him up he doesn't even stir... luckily he usually sleeps in his crate but even then there are nights that I have to pack my ears with pillows and blankets to drown him out.

I still really think he's great though, regardless. :|
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk