Are we hypocrites?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 31st, 2011, 10:39 am

For some reason I was just thinking about how when we argue against BSL, we always say, "they're just dogs, all dogs can bite, don't discriminate against breeds," blah blah blah. We all know the arguments and obviously agree with them. Yet I and many others also firmly believe that this breed isn't for everybody and wish less people had them. Does that make us hypocrites? Are they normal dogs, or are they not normal dogs?

DISCUSS!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Tubular Toby » March 31st, 2011, 10:54 am

If someone, for example, gets a herding/working dog as a "couch potato" pet, I think that they shouldn't have. Much like if someone gets a pit bull with the intention of taking it to a dog park, they shouldn't have that dog. It's not so much that they aren't normal dogs. They are just dogs. Due to their reputation, you cannot really afford a single mistake however, so I think it's normal to not want them in the wrong hands, whether the wrong hands be for fighting or just irresponsibility with the dog. If that dog is in our town and gets out and attacks another dog or bites someone, it doesn't affect just that owner, it affects everyone with a pit bull looking dog.

In short though, pit bulls aren't the only type of dog where I look at someone and go, they really don't need that type of dog. I can't tell you how many people I've seen get high energy, working type dogs and then never even walk them. So I don't think it's that we are hypocrites, I think it's just that it's two different matters.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2011, 11:19 am

There are a LOT of breeds that aren't for everyone. Don't like barking? Don't get a herder. Don't like playing fetch, don't get a retriever and for heaven's sake don't get a field bred one! Want to let your dog run off leash? Don't get a sight hound. Don't like howling and baying? A hound is not for you.

Want a dog that is not likely to have dog aggression, and doesn't have half the world giving you dirty looks every time you take it for a walk? Don't get a Pit Bull!

I don't think it's hypocritical, I think it's logical.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tubular Toby » March 31st, 2011, 12:35 pm

mnp13 wrote:There are a LOT of breeds that aren't for everyone. Don't like barking? Don't get a herder. Don't like playing fetch, don't get a retriever and for heaven's sake don't get a field bred one! Want to let your dog run off leash? Don't get a sight hound. Don't like howling and baying? A hound is not for you.

Want a dog that is not likely to have dog aggression, and doesn't have half the world giving you dirty looks every time you take it for a walk? Don't get a Pit Bull!

....what she said.
Said much better than what I stumbled through. :lol:
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » March 31st, 2011, 12:37 pm

People need to stop picking a dog based on looks.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amalie79 » March 31st, 2011, 2:41 pm

Was just having a related conversation today.

I think people should always take breed and the corresponding propensities into consideration-- not just when adopting or buying a dog, but when interacting with any dog. But, I think ULTIMATELY, we have to judge each dog as an individual.

I'm not going to run up to a Rottie and just go to town loving on it-- granted, I wouldn't do that with any dog, but a guarding breed is one that I'm especially not going to do that with; I might be less reserved with a lab (but I still wouldn't be in its face). That said, some of the sweetest dogs I've ever been around were Rotties; same goes for Pyrenees, Anatolians, and any other guarding breeds that we actually see a surprising number of around here (farm country). And Simon (who was a lab mix) was a biter. I think it's perfectly fair to take a balanced approach.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » March 31st, 2011, 3:10 pm

honestly, almost all the smaller bylaws and laws with smaller penalties are laws for those who lack common sense. It drives me nuts. All the thinking people are punished for it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » March 31st, 2011, 9:40 pm

mnp13 wrote:There are a LOT of breeds that aren't for everyone. Don't like barking? Don't get a herder. Don't like playing fetch, don't get a retriever and for heaven's sake don't get a field bred one! Want to let your dog run off leash? Don't get a sight hound. Don't like howling and baying? A hound is not for you.

Very well put!
It's a little thing, but I am always impressed by the people who are able to tell me that they like the look of X breed of dog, but they know it's not the dog for them.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2011, 10:07 pm

good god, this is timely. I've joined an off-leash hiking group...love it, have a great time. But there are so many people that join up and don't get it. We hike in groups, dogs that haven't met before...in the woods with other people, dogs, wildlife, horseback riders, etc. And the number of people with pit bulls and hounds that want to do this...ASTOUNDS me. The last time a cute little pit was on the hike, I had to yell at her three times for starting a fight with Inara (who was hiking at my heels...minding her own business). The woman had NO clue why her dog might be doing this. Then there was the pit mix that pinned a few dogs during the hike and had to be leashed. The woman that said..."my dog is a terrier mix and isn't always good at meeting others". Then don't go on the freakin' hike with other dogs! Giving pits a GREAT name people. And then the hound owners..."I'm not sure if we can go off-leash". Dude, you have a FOXHOUND...don't take it off leash! OMG...I could scream.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Pit Bull Talk