Raw Food for $1.28 a pound in the Southeast US

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby turtle » April 16th, 2012, 12:38 am

I was at my local pet food store and they had a new case with frozen raw for dogs and cats. I have been feeding raw for some time and always keep an eye out for quality raw dog foods at a reasonable price.

Well, this new raw food comes in a frozen tube or chub, most of them are $2.55 for a 2 pound tube.

Those are the Green Tripe, Ground Chicken, Ground Turkey, Ground Venison, and a few more. Others, such as a Puppy Mix, were $3.35 for a 2 pound tube, and the most expensive was $9.95 for Ground Rabbit with bone.

Here is the web site –

http://www.blueridgebeef.com/product...f-chicken.html

They have dealers in the Southeast US, and that price seems a very good value at $1.28 to $1.63 per pound for most of it. I bought a tube of the Ground Chicken, I wanted the Venison, but they were out of it.

Doing a bit more reading about it, I noticed that this food seems to be just meat and bone ground. Which is good but that is not really a complete diet if fed alone.

I looked around on their web site and on the FAQ page, and found this question and reply, which I will copy & paste below –

SHOULD WE USE SUPPLEMENTS?
WELL, I DO. THESE DAYS OUR FOOD CHAIN SEEMS TO HAVE LESS AND LESS NUTRITION IN OUR FOODS, PROCESSING HAS CAUSED A LOT OF FOOD VALUE LOST, VITAMIN AND MINERALS THAT WERE PERHAPS IN THE FOOD HAVE BEEN LOST DO TO MANY MAN MADE HURRY TO THE MARKET PROCEDURES. SO YES, SUPPLEMENTS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL IN PROVIDING EXTRA ANTIOXIDANT PROTECTION AND SUPPORT FOR THE GROWING, SHOWING, AND WORKING ATHLETES WE CALL OUR FRIENDS.

They are rather vague about what needs to be supplemented.

I would think the Blue Ridge meats would need some vegetable mash added, and maybe a multi vitamin. It’s all meat and bone so you would add what you feel is missing.

In comparison, the Nature’s Variety frozen raw has these ingredients –

Chicken –
Chicken, Raw Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Heart, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay

Beef –
Beef, Beef Heart, Beef Liver, Raw Ground Beef Bone, Beef Kidney, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay

Venison --
Venison, Lamb Heart, Lamb Liver, Raw Ground Lamb Bone, Apples, Carrots, Pumpkinseeds, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay

So what I am thinking is you can use the Blue Ridge food as a base and add some vegetable mash, yogurt, salmon oil, and maybe some of the Montmorillonite clay for a more complete diet?

The Blue Ridge raw food is a good price, raw green tripe for $1.28 a pound is an excellent value. Since it is just meat and bone ground, it would be a good base to start with, and add what you want. I am told the meat to bone ratio is 20% bone to 80% meat, how does that sound?

Nature’s Variety is $12 for a 3 pound tube here, so I can certainly easily add some diced or pureed veggies, etc. to the Blue Ridge foods.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby copperlegend » April 16th, 2012, 11:06 am

The local raw supplier here in Rochester gets Blue Ridge Beef, and I have been very pleased with it.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk