Springpole

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but how do you make a spring pole? I know my dogs would love it, especially my foster girl, Summer.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 30th, 2006, 7:45 pm

here's the setup we have...

Here are closeups:

the locking carabeener is in that mess of extra chain. we kept extra to raise and lower the spring pole

The connector rope added an extra foot between the spring and the tug rope. I can also loosen the knot and get the tug rope off if I want to. It's nylon so it's much stronger than a cotton rope of the same size. I didn't want the dogs chewing on nylon so we got another rope for the actual 'tugging' surface

The chewed end of the tug rope. It's about three feet long and had three knots in it. the bottom knot is mostly gone and has been re-tied a few times. The bottom of the rope is about 4 feet off of the ground.

It is about 8 feet to the base of the spring, to prevent the dog from biting the spring by accident.

Let me know if you have any questions....
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 7:50 pm

cool, thank you
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby bustersmama » January 30th, 2006, 9:33 pm

What if you are tree-less? I asked someone else on the forum, but they are to busy to get back to me. Rightly so, considering how many dogs they have! If you are using a 4x4, does it need to be cememnted in the ground? How tall does it need to be? What do you use for the hang over holding the spring part and rope toy? Is that re-enforced? Is anyone following my babbling?

ANy info would be great.

sarah
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BullyVW » January 30th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Flirt pole works if your treeless
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby girlie » January 30th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I'm thinking about converting an aspect of my childrens timber frame swing set....... :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 30th, 2006, 10:22 pm

I would cement to the 4x4. I'dss put it about 2.5 feet deep. I would think that 8 high is good. Maybe 10'. So that means buying a 12 footer would probably take care of it.

I would have another length of 4x4 stick out about 4' from the top. Cut another at 45 degree angles to support it. I would bolt it all together. attach your spring and away they go! :tongues:

I made mine with a pulley attachment so I could adsjust the height for different dogs.

Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 30th, 2006, 11:19 pm

I'd go 6x6 (at least), 4x4's are not all that strong. I have a 4x4 post that my little gate to my yard has warped.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Red » January 31st, 2006, 12:57 am

Mine is a 4x4 pole cemented 3 feet into the ground and a 2x2 top pole.There is an eyehook screwed on top, with washer ( well it is actually a rectangular piece of thick metal) and bolt to prevent the eye hook from coming down when the dogs hangs from it.The poles that support the top pole are pieces of 2x2 as well, secured with metal things I don't know what they are called but they were hammered into the wood.Around the pole there is foam so the dogs don't hurt themselves if they hit it hard and swing toward the pole.I keep the bite surface down anyway, because I want them to keep their rear legs on the floor.It is not in the pic but I use a security rope attached to the top pole, that goes from it to the wall, just in case of an unfortunate accident.I have had it for three years and it is still solid but you never know.
The spring is a swing spring that should hold 1000 pound of load, connected to the eyehook with a thick quick link.The hooks on the rope are climbing hooks.

Red
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby bustersmama » January 31st, 2006, 1:46 am

Thanks Red, just what I needed. Hopefully we can get it built this weekend. :)
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Darlazmum » January 31st, 2006, 2:02 am

My pics are huge, but we are tree less and this is ours we attach to our roof line eave:

It was all under $30 tip to stern.
Darlazmum
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk