NACA Members Needing Assistance

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2008, 5:14 pm

http://www.nacanet.org/

What is NACA?
The National Animal Control Association (NACA) was formed in 1978 for the express purpose of assisting its members to perform their duties in a professional manner. Only carefully selected and properly trained animal control personnel can correct community problems resulting from irresponsible animal ownership. NACA's purpose is to preserve the Human/Animal Bond by insisting on RESPONSIBLE ANIMAL OWNERSHIP.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2008, 5:15 pm

NACA Member needing assistance:

Looking for information for Animal Control Service Contracts.

Were a rual area animal control agency, and we have a small community in the next county with about 150 homes that would like to have us service their town on a case by case basis. I'm looking for any help such as sample contracts, you can contact Barb at ncac@ffni.com or fax any information to 219-285-2187. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Barb Avila - Newton County Animal Control
3214 W. 100 N.
Morocco,In 47963
ncac@ffni.com
219-285-6777 or Fax 219-285-2187
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2008, 5:17 pm

We are a part of Spokane County government and are considering forming a 501(c)3 Friends of the Shelter group. I am looking for other government agencies that may have already formed a 501(c)3 so that we will not have to reinvent the wheel.

• What are steps did you go through to form a 501(c)3
• Samples of by laws
• Obstacles you encountered
• How is it working for you

Along with anything else you might be able to share with me. We will be using the 501(c)3 mainly for fundraising and grant writing purposes - along with some volunteer activities.

Your thoughts and assistance are greatly appreciated.

Please send any information to:

NANCY HILL - Director
Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service - SCRAPS
2521 N Flora Road
Spokane, WA 99216
Desk: #509-477-1967
Fax: #509-477-4745
E-mail: nhill@spokanecounty.org
http://www.spokanecounty.org/animal

Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2008, 5:19 pm

Spokane County is considering going to a stainless steel lifetime tag that would be renewed annually. The actual tag would stay with the animal for life. The pet owner will still pay the annual licensing fees. This will save postage and supplying a new tag each year.

If you currently use a life time tag that must be renewed annually please send me the ordinance that supports this issue. I am looking for ordinance language to use as a sample. I would also like to know how well this program is working for your agency.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please send information to:

NANCY HILL - Director
Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service - SCRAPS
2521 N Flora Road
Spokane, WA 99216
Desk: #509-477-1967
Fax: #509-477-4745
E-mail: nhill@spokanecounty.org
http://www.spokanecounty.org/animal
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 25th, 2008, 6:30 pm

I am a NACA member, and I am working with the Mayor of a nearby town to develop an animal shelter facility in his town.

Do you have any knowledge of a sheltering facility that is shared by two (or more?) counties? The shelter I am director of is a joint venture between our city and county, and I suppose it would be run in a similar fashion.

I am just wondering if you have any knowledge of a facility that is shared by two counties, and if it is working for them.

Thank you,
Laurie Green
Cookeville Putnam County Animal Shelter
931-384-0128
fixapet@hotmail.com
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 25th, 2008, 6:31 pm

I have come up against a situation where our department has exhausted every available means of resource we have but are unable to capture and remove a pack of wild feral dogs. We are unable to get within the effective range of our cap fired tranquillization guns. Our department has attempted to capture animals by first using normal equipment( i.e.: control sticks, nets, traps, and chemical capture) and it has all been unsuccessful. Does anyone have an alternative solution that could work to remove these feral dogs to protect the public? I have serious concerns that a small child walking home from school will eventually be attacked by this pack of dogs as food for the new litter of puppies on the ground now. I would greatly appreciate your input and advice on this matter and I welcome any alternative solutions you might offer. Thank you very much for your time in reading and responding to this email.
Bruce E. McClure
Field Enforcement Operations Mgr
Augusta Animal Services
4164 Mack Lane
Augusta, Ga. 30906
Office: (706)790-6836
Fax: (706)798-8978
bmcclure@augustaga.gov
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » May 1st, 2008, 3:53 pm

Animal Services Division Manager
Glynn County, Georgia

The Glynn County Board of Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of Animal Services Division Manger. This position is responsible for supervising the operations and functions of the Animal Services Center, including administrative operations, enforcement of applicable animal control ordinances and laws, and humane care and treatment of animals. High school diploma or GED; supplemented by vocational training in Animal Care; supplemented by three (3) years previous experience involving animal control operations, animal control center operations, animal care/handling, and basic supervision. Valid Driver’s License is required. Must possess and maintain valid Euthanasia Injection certification. Training or certificates from the National Animal Control Association or Georgia Animal Control Association desirable. Hiring Salary Range: $34,298 - $41,158 DOQ.

Applications are accepted in the Human Resources Department at 1725 Reynolds Street Suite 302, Brunswick, GA or by visiting our website at http://www.glynncounty.org. The deadline to apply is May 16, 2008.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2008, 11:47 am

We are researching high pressure kennel cleaning/disinfecting systems. If you, or a kennel/shelter you know has an operational system like the following, please email with contact information.
This system could be wall mounted or may be in a central location with large drums attached. I believe the wall mounted system uses 1 gallon jugs. Most have a high pressure hose with a pistol grip type handle. Our shelter capacity is about 200 kennels.
The only system I’ve been able to find information on is a brand named “Sage” from ACE supply. Would like to look at the capacity of others and analyze the costs for comparison.
If anyone knows of other commercial systems, your comments and or opinions are most welcomed.
Cindy DeGraw-Dressler #1449
Animal Control Supervisor
Leavenworth Animal Control Shelter
main. 913-682-0268
desk 913-758-6633
fax 913-680-2771
cdressler@firstcity.org
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Hello, My name Is Charlie Lopez I’m an animal control officer with Bernalillo County Animal Control in Albuquerque / New Mexico. We are looking into getting our officer’s trained to a reserve deputy status with Law Enforcement authority similar to that of a deputy sheriff. The areas of Law the animal control officer’s will enforce would be NM State Statutes and Local Ordinance related to animals. Can you provide me with information on any Animal Control agencies that have (state or locally) certified Law Enforcement officers enforcing primarily animal related issues?

All animal control officers with Bernalillo County are certified with both N.A.C.A to Level 3 and National Cruelty Investigations to Level 3. We are looking to take Bernalillo County Animal control officers to the next level by becoming certified law enforcement.

Any help in providing requested information would be greatly appreciated.

Officer Charlie Lopez
Bernalillo County Animal Control (505)314-0280
1136 Gatewood SW
Albuquerque, NM 87105
CMLopez@bernco.gov
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I am needing some help..I am having to write policies and procedures on chemical immobilization....tactical baton and oc spray...if any you have policies and procedures for these I would sure like the help on where to start. thank you

City of Strafford
Chandra Lowery

Email: firefighter8034@yahoo.com <mailto:firefighter8034@yahoo.com>
Phone: 417-736-2154
fax: 417-736-2390
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » July 18th, 2008, 5:33 pm

My department is looking to revamp our animal licensing program and how the information is entered into the database. What I am looking for is a sample of license registration form(s) and the way that the owner and animal information is entered into the computer. Our problem in the past has been getting uniformity of entering dog breed names. Each person that has entered the information may enter the same dog breed name in a different way than the next person. Also, the Village Hall is responsible for all this information, does any animal control personnel enter the information into their computer database rather than Village Hall, where the tags are issued? Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Peter Babikan
Animal Control Officer
Niles Police Dept.
7000 W. Touhy Ave.
Niles, IL 60714
847-588-6508
847-588-6553 fax
pjb@vniles.com
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to ACO Questions and Answers