Here's a perfect example

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby airwalk » April 16th, 2008, 10:58 pm

of why sometimes what ACO's do seems to disjointed and without reason...but there usually is a reason..read on:

We have a house in our County that has 3 pit bulls, one of which gets out and menaces anything and anybody that catches his eye. Now of course, he's intact. His owner is an idiot that can't seem to outsmart the dog as far as building a fence to keep this particular dog in. We even recommended a topped, concrete floor kennel if all else failed. At one point he muzzled the dog everytime it went outside and of course it still got out and chased and growled and generally acted an ass even with the muzzle on and frightened anyone that came into contact.

We warned this guy that if it happened again, we were going to request dangerous dog designation...of course it happened again. This time the dog chased some pre-schoolers off the school bus all the way home - the school bus driver ended up leaving her bus to try to get the dog to chase her so the kids could get home.

Now we've never actually talked to this guy in person...seemingly he's never home. The woman that is at the residence daily speaks no English (and frankly this time I actually believe her) and our other contact is with a 8-10 year old girl that lives there...oops no talkie legaleeze with child.

So we finally get this guy on the phone, and he tells us it's not his dog (yeah right), he's not going to take responsibility for the dog (no chit dick tracy-you haven't up to now) and the dog isn't there and he won't tell us where the dog is (so either the dog is there or is probably coming back when he thinks we aren't looking).

So we proceed. We cite for aggressive dog at large, we cite for failure to procure a dog license, and we ask our Hearings Officer for dangerous dog designation with keeping restrictions. I know that sounds silly doesn't it since the dog isn't there and we don't have possession of the dog so we can only identify from pictures....here's the reason:

1) I get a fairly large fine which hopefully will finally get this guys' attention and at the very least keep his other two dogs contained (they aren't very social either).
2) It's step one that if a dog appearing to be that dog - recommits in that neighborhood - and I can gather sufficient presumptive evidence I can use it to step up to the next level of restrictions and
3) I got this dude's attention today and
4) His neighbors finally feel like maybe they don't have to protect their children just walking from the front door to the bus for the neighbors dog.

So I know sometimes the things we do don't always appear to make a lot of sense...but there is usually reasoning behind the actions and it's usually aimed at getting someone's attention or setting the stage for the next level of enforcement.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » April 16th, 2008, 11:06 pm

He sounds like an Image and an accident waiting to happen. Image

I have the utmost respect for ACO's who do their jobs - you GO, Diana!!! :wave2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » April 16th, 2008, 11:14 pm

I just wish we had AC in my county :x
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Return to ACO Questions and Answers