A Weekend in the Life.....

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby Marinepits » July 7th, 2008, 10:41 am

For those thinking of a career as an Animal Control Officer, here's a pretty typical weekend:

0730hrs July 5th

I've just changed into my uniform and got a call about a fawn on the side of the road, not moving. I drive out there to find a young fawn, obviously hit by a car -- her spine is twisted in an unnatural shape and she's in shock with her eyes glazed over. Thankfully, a wonderful cop has followed me out to the scene and he quickly dispatches the fawn because I am unsure if I can actually kill a deer. We bag her up for disposal and discover that both her back legs are shattered as is one of her front legs.

I arrive back at the Pound to discover a "full house" and numerous messages on the machine. The extremely aggressive quarantined dog, affectionately known as Cujo, is losing his mind at all the other dogs. The cats are terrified from all the extra noise. It takes me about three hours to walk, feed, and clean everyone. During this time, I answer numerous phone calls, all some variation of this:

caller: I can't find my dog. She freaked out during the fireworks.

me: Is the dog wearing a collar with ID? Is the dog microchipped?

caller: No. She's never run away before. She does have an electric fence collar, but she's not wearing her tags.

me: *sigh* Please give me a description of your dog and I will keep my eyes open for her.....

I receive a call about a dead cat found in a yard, and the family is having a children's party and wants the body removed. (Normally, we don't do this -- the Highway Department does, but I decide to take care of the cat because of the kids.) Cat is obviously well-cared-for, yet has no collar or microchip. I take the cat back to the shelter, bag it up to place it in the freezer and add it to the list of unclaimed pets.

On my way back to the Pound with lunch, I see two people run across a busy road, chasing their small puppy. I pull over and join the chase. We corner the puppy in a neighbor's yard, and the puppy has a serious case of zoomies. "Maggie" is a small lab/weim mix, about 6 months old. She bolted out of her owners' yard and immediately ran for the road, then miraculously crossed it without being hit. Her owners and the neighbors and I watch her tear around the yard for about 20 minutes before she starts to tire out. Other neighbors offer us some hot dogs which we break into bits and lure Maggie closer. I finally manage to grab her collar and tackle her. Her owners leash her up and we all start laughing with relief. Her owners call me a "hero" which I'm not but makes me feel great. I'm just happy the pup wasn't killed.

Rest of day is spent reuniting dogs with owners, and explaining the importance of proper identification. All the dogs that came in over the holiday had no ID on their collars and not one was microchipped.

0730hrs July 6

I am on my way to the shelter and I receive a call about a sick raccoon, circling around and falling over right under the Target store sign on the busiest road in town. (Fantastic -- we get to dispatch the poor animal in front of the whole town. Bet we get some complaints about this.) I arrive on scene to see the raccoon thrashing about and in distress. I snare the animal and hold it down while the officer dispatches the animal with one shot to the heart. Unfortunately, because the animal has some sort of neurological disease, he twitches and thrashes for several minutes before his nerves stop firing. Luckily, most of this action is blocked by the police car and the ACO van. I bag him up, clean up the scene, and take him back to the Pound for disposal.

I arrive back at the Pound and walk, feed, and clean everyone. There are more messages on the machine, some saying they've found their dogs, others saying that their dogs are still missing. I return all the calls and reunite a couple more dogs and owners. I'm tired of hearing myself explain the importance of proper identification. I do manage to take some quick pictures of the cats so I can make up fliers this coming week.

Dispatch calls to tell me that someone needs help removing an opossum from a Have-a-Hart trap. I arrive on scene to find an older possum in a trap. His bottom jaw is stuck in the wires of the trap and he's PISSED. The part of his jaw on the outside of the trap is swollen as is the part of his jaw on the inside of the trap -- this makes it impossible for him to remove his jaw. The homeowner lets me borrow some tin snips and pliers and holds the trap steady while I carefully cut the wires around his jaw and bend them out of the way. I successfully remove the wires and let the possum regain feeling in his jaw. It takes about 20 minutes before he is able to open and close his jaws and move his tongue again. This is probably due to muscle cramping after being stuck in that position for hours. Thankfully, the possum does seem to recover and I release him back into the woods. He waddles off at top speed and disappears. If he hadn't recovered, I would have had to euthanize him.

Heading back to PD to do reports from yesterday and today. I grab a quick sandwich and spend lunch trying to figure out the new computer system without screwing up anything.

I receive a call from another ACO about a gorgeous shep mix that needs to be adopted out ASAP because she's crazy from being cooped-up in the Pound. I go out and take some quick pics and get her story from the volunteers. Their ACO is out on a call, rescuing a baby skunk downtown.

Rest of day is spent on patrol, looking for missing dogs and returning calls from anxious owners.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » July 7th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Pretty close to our 4th...it's the same all over.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2008, 1:07 pm

You guys are awesome. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 8th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Makes me tired just reading it...I applaud you and all that you guys do. The hardest part must be dealing with stupid people! :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyChick » July 8th, 2008, 7:24 pm

I volunteer at our local animal shelter three days a week for a couple of hours each day, and your day sounds pretty typical of what happens there too. I love and respect you guys for what you do. I know it isn't easy. When I first started to volunteer, I did it for the dogs. Now I also do it for the AC folks. Their job is so hard and so busy that if I can walk a few dogs, feed and water them, I figure it's that much less they need to do that day. God bless ya!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » July 9th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Now remembering our shelter only has 32 runs total..between 07/02 and 07/07 we took in 33 dogs and only released 4 back to their owners...

Yesterday, our first customer of the day walked in the door and said "tell me how much it will cost to get my dog out of here"..my answer "sir, which dog is yours?"..his response..."I won't tell you til you tell me how much"...my answer.."sir it will depend on how long the dog has been here, whether or not it is vaccinated and licensed and its sterilization status"...his response..."I'm still not going to tell you...you called its old owner from its microchip" - Me...deep breath and start again.

Or the lady that lost her dog on 07/03 - someone found it on 07/03 - then they lost it again on the same day...someone else found it on 07/04, then they lost it on 07/04 and she called yesterday wondering why we hadn't found her dog yet?
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » July 9th, 2008, 2:37 pm

:doh: That's the reason I am SO glad I don't carry a firearm on my belt, LOL. I'd be sorely tempted to use it.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » July 9th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Marinepits wrote::doh: That's the reason I am SO glad I don't carry a firearm on my belt, LOL. I'd be sorely tempted to use it.

Oh yeah, first temptations is "excuse me sir, may I take you out behind the shelter and beat the crap out of you, then we can try this again"....but of course, that just runs through my head.
airwalk
I live here

Postby KJS » July 10th, 2008, 2:36 am

You could be a little less violent about it..for instance try

"I'm terribly sorry Sir/Madam you seem to have forgotten to re-charge your brain cells today..would you like to go home and do that and we can try again later when you are fully functional"
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby CinderDee » July 10th, 2008, 3:52 am

I don't know how you guys do it. :bowDown:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » July 10th, 2008, 8:47 am

KJS wrote:You could be a little less violent about it..

That takes all the fun out of it. :|
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » July 10th, 2008, 1:06 pm

KJS wrote:You could be a little less violent about it..for instance try

"I'm terribly sorry Sir/Madam you seem to have forgotten to re-charge your brain cells today..would you like to go home and do that and we can try again later when you are fully functional"

but then I would have to show him where his USB port is and we all know what a electronics wizard I am..I'd end up with him plugging his cord in the wrong place... :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby call2arms » July 10th, 2008, 2:42 pm

I'm all for good old fashioned violence. People need it. A lot.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby HappyChick » July 10th, 2008, 10:43 pm

So our ACO told me today that the three new dogs that are together in one pen at the shelter were surrendered by a guy who surrendered three of the same breed about a year ago. Those three all died from disease, I think Parvo and these three appear to be sick too. She says he surrenders dogs all the time. WTF? There should be a limit on surrendering dogs especially sick ones beyond that, it should be considered animal cruelty. I suppose then, the dogs would just be turned loose. Mother smurfer. What can the law do to stop this crap? I just want to find the guy and beat him with a ballbat.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » July 10th, 2008, 11:58 pm

Been there ... seen that...and you're right if you don't take them, they'll come in anyway either as a stray with no ID or DOA
airwalk
I live here

Return to ACO Questions and Answers