Neighbors Help Dogs Out of Hot Car

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby airwalk » July 23rd, 2008, 9:39 am

Malli wrote:I was thinking to get copies of a "dog in a hot car" sheet from the spca, and just start leaving under people's wipers.

Usually now I just leave the AC on for Oscar, even here where it doesn't get that warm (80-85 Farenheit outside).

Malli, most locals have some type of a hot dog in car flyer and we are (well I can't imagine any ACO not being) thrilled to have citizens to help us hand them out and leave them on cars...but caution please..some folks get plenty peeved when one is left under their wiper, so be cautious.

Cinder adores the sun and heat with her arthritis..but I still leave the A/C going inside the house whenever it is above 80 so she can go out and sunbathe and then come in a cool off.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » July 23rd, 2008, 3:47 pm

Oh, don't worry, I know! ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby nicole » July 23rd, 2008, 4:22 pm

i have a question...

while I do think what these neighbors did was the ethical thing to do...legally, are they allowed to enter (technically break-in) to someone's property to rescue dogs?
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » July 23rd, 2008, 4:25 pm

I know that here, the police are :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 23rd, 2008, 5:15 pm

nicole wrote:i have a question...

while I do think what these neighbors did was the ethical thing to do...legally, are they allowed to enter (technically break-in) to someone's property to rescue dogs?

I wonder if that could fall under the "good samaritan" law. :?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 23rd, 2008, 6:30 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Luckily, I do work my dogs in the heat just so that they're used to it...mainly b/c we've trialled in the heat, and they've had to be in the car at trials.

If I have to leave my dogs in the car, they have fans going on them, they have a "cooler aire" running, all the windows are down, the back hatch is up, and the sunroof is vented...and they're parked in the shade (at trials or training). I also have a remote temperature gauge that "alarms" me if it gets above a certain temperature...

If, I am running into a store, I usually leave my car running using my remote start "convenience store" option (allows me to keep the car running after I've taken the keys out)...

I leave my dogs in the car a lot too...more than most people do normally...and I get a lot of grief for it. I actually had Fidos tell me that it "was against the law in MD to leave my dog in the car" (exact wording)...and that the neighbors complained that they were too noisy. (the two residential neighbors both have packs of dogs that bark constantly)

I told them that my personal rule is over 75 degrees, I don't leave them for any period of time...but under that, they'll stay in the car while I'm in the building (less noisy). They're crated in wintertime too...with blankets and coats. ;-) They always are in the shade with a bucket of water...

So I have mixed feelings about people stepping in...because I've been on the other side of it. I understand being concerned...but get all the info first. ;) (the woman in NYC does sound like an idiot, btw)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Previous

Return to ACO Questions and Answers