Did you ever think

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby airwalk » August 31st, 2008, 9:49 pm

That last evening when you pulled up to the shelter to abandon you dog that you were doing more than simply walking away from your best friend?

Did you think that when you tied this senior Rottweiler with very severe hip dysplasia to the tree that you were relegating him to a night on the cold, hard ground where his hip would get more sore?

Did you wonder how he panicked as he saw your car drive away?

Did you sleep well last evening wondering if he was watching for your car to come back and get him?

Did you wonder how frightened he was this morning when I arrived at work and he didn't know who I was?

Did you think that maybe between his fear and bewilderment and pain that it might be very hard to get him off the tree? Did you realize that if he had bitten me when I tried to unclip him that he would have had to suffer through quarantine? Did you realize you might be putting someone else in danger because YOUR best friend didn't know what to let me do?

Did you hope that we would be extra kind and find a way to get him untied without having to use a ketch pole on him?

Did you sleep well last evening knowing that your good friend with his bad skin and sore hips would be shivering by this morning?

Did you sleep well knowing that you had left him in a shelter that is already too full and with his age and health may not ever leave the shelter? Or was that your way of avoiding your responsibility to make the final loving decision for him?

Did you hope we would be kind and would offer him a warm, dry, place with a soft bed to spend the next 7 days while you tried to forget you just abandoned your best friend?

If you slept well last night, shame on you..because he didn't. If you forgot him today while you went about your daily life, shame on you, because he's been looking for you all day.

If you hoped we would be kind and take good care of him and get him off the tree without causing him stress and we would feed him good food and clean water and provide him with a comfy bed to pad his old bones...then you were right..we did.

Shame on you.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » August 31st, 2008, 10:01 pm

:( :( :( That saddens me that you have to deal with this everyday, but am forever grateful that you are a stong enough person to do it. Thank you.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » August 31st, 2008, 10:02 pm

>( :cry:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » August 31st, 2008, 10:05 pm

Marinepits wrote:>( :cry:

My concern and thanks goes to you as well. :hug3:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » August 31st, 2008, 10:06 pm

I would love, just once, to catch the asshats that abandon their dogs like that...just once. Well maybe not, I don't think I would like the inside of a jail cell.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » August 31st, 2008, 10:10 pm

I would send you bail money. :)
madremissy

Postby airwalk » August 31st, 2008, 10:16 pm

madremissy wrote:I would send you bail money. :)

That's always a good thing to know.

I talked to him..we were good...I talked to him...we were good...I walked up..we were good...I got the leash on him...we were good (now mind you it's 8 am on a Sunday in a government building complex so there is nobody around but him and me)...I reached down to unclip the chain hooked to the tree and his choke chain..we were not good anymore.

We had to wait until there were two of us to get him off the tree. Damn people.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » August 31st, 2008, 10:27 pm

Oh my lordy, did this actually happen to you today?? :doh: :doh: :doh: I thought it was a story not that it actually happen. :doh: :doh: :doh: I will be up there tomorrow. :mad2: :cuss: I aint scared to go to jail, I have been before.
madremissy

Postby airwalk » August 31st, 2008, 10:32 pm

Yep that's how I started my day!
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » August 31st, 2008, 10:35 pm

I am so sorry, but thank you for saving this poor soul. :hug3: People just suck :mad2:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » August 31st, 2008, 10:39 pm

Unfortunately, Jen and I can't even make up stories that are nearly as bad as the stuff we actually see every day.

On a slightly warped brighter note...one of our Weimeraner in the shelter got the best of the asshat Beagle today - they are now sharing a suite with a dividing door -
airwalk
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 31st, 2008, 11:17 pm

Diana, that just breaks my heart. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » August 31st, 2008, 11:26 pm

Thankfully this old boy has a pretty good warning system or the story could have turned out much differently.
airwalk
I live here

Postby aophoto » August 31st, 2008, 11:48 pm

that is absolutely horrible. at least he is good hands now. i can't even imagine the kind of person that would do that. i know there are some real mind-bogglers out there, but i can't even fathom how they do it.
"The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly." - John McCain

Yes, we did America.
aophoto
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » September 1st, 2008, 8:35 am

:( :( :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » September 1st, 2008, 9:53 am

I'm thinking a nice cheapo camera system outside to catch the car and license plates of the a-holes that can't even man up enough to dump their dogs in person.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby hugapitbull » September 1st, 2008, 12:27 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I'm thinking a nice cheapo camera system outside to catch the car and license plates of the a-holes that can't even man up enough to dump their dogs in person.

I'm all for this one. Give the cowards what they really deserve. The op broke my heart. How can anyone treat a senior dog with such disrespect >(
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby aophoto » September 1st, 2008, 2:27 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I'm thinking a nice cheapo camera system outside to catch the car and license plates of the a-holes that can't even man up enough to dump their dogs in person.

this is very plausible, although cheap may be relative, but for something like 500 bucks you could do it
"The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly." - John McCain

Yes, we did America.
aophoto
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2008, 4:20 pm

They have this at the All Breed Rescue near my house & also at the City Shelter. They have signs posted stating they are recording your license plate number & the police WILL be called & charges filed against you.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » September 2nd, 2008, 6:04 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:

They have this at the All Breed Rescue near my house & also at the City Shelter. They have signs posted stating they are recording your license plate number & the police WILL be called & charges filed against you.

I wonder....if the kind of people who would do this are scared away by the posted signs, what will happen to the animals? Will they then be dumped on the side of a road, in a park, etc.
It just sucks.

Diana, I don't know how you do this. I had tears running down my face when I read your post. I can't imagine ever doing that to one of my pets.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Next

Return to ACO Questions and Answers