Shelter Adoptions.

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby Jeni » November 10th, 2008, 6:58 pm

For those of you that work in animal control facilities that also do adoptions - What are some of the things you do to get the publics attention and get them to your facility?
We have a new manager that wants our adoptions to basically quadruple. And although we have a beautiful new facility, we are a city run shelter. That seems to automatically put a certain image into people's minds. We also have strict 'rules' that we have to follow as far as events, and whatnot, go because we are city run (you know how all of those politics go).
We did just have a microchip clinic and free registration this past weekend - and our adoptions that day were more than normal, but we didn't have nearly as much traffic as we had hoped.
So, any advice? What do you do to the public's attention?
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby airwalk » November 10th, 2008, 7:02 pm

I use Craigslist at least twice a week - don't get a lot of adoptions, but do get a lot of attention.

We have various brochures we use for education, so we get our local area veterinarians to put them on their counters for the clients to pick up.

We had some fireman "save my pet" stickers and some magnets made up with our name.

I use public service announcements everytime I get a happy story or a particularly sad one.

I have made it a point to make friends with one or two of the local media personalities and every now and again e-mail them an "exclusive" happy story.

We try very hard to participate in every community event we can muster. Which, often means I work six or seven days a week, but it does help.
airwalk
I live here

Return to ACO Questions and Answers