Rabies vaccs for humans

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby Jenny » March 26th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I'm curious about how many ACO's get vaccinated for rabies.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2009, 2:53 pm

In most of the hospitals I've worked at the higher level vet techs and vets had to be vaccinated for rabies. I would think it would be the same for an ACO? I'm not sure if it's mandated or just the norm . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » March 26th, 2009, 4:45 pm

In CT it's mandatory.

There is also a shortage of human rabies vaccines (as of last year when I got mine), so the vax are limited to animal professionals such as ACOs, vets, and the like. If you're interested in getting one, call your regular doc and see what s/he can do for you.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenny » March 26th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking a few of us here need to get the human rabies vacc. I would feel better if we were protected. We have had some unusual calls and of course none of the animals we handled so far except one were vaccinated.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 26th, 2009, 7:58 pm

If your town is giving you a hard time about getting the vaccine and/or paying for it, approach it from the liability issue. If you get bitten by rabid wildlife or a possibly rabid dog or cat, you'll potentially be out-of-work for a while on worker's comp, you'll need the series of shots to hopefully prevent getting rabies, and you could potentially sue the town. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » March 26th, 2009, 9:44 pm

I was supposed to get the rabies VX through the school, but the school nurse hurt his head over the christmas holidays and never got back to our class vx project...

Yesterday we were denied seeing surgeries at the vet college cause we didn't have the vaccine and they ususally don't let unvaccinated students (or internship-pers) in the wards or in sx... We're working our way into it though, but ha! I really wanted it. I think any person who works daily with animals (wildlife and pets) should be vaccinated... You never know when an outbreak can come up in your area, it's rare but damn why take a chance?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to ACO Questions and Answers