WHAT TO DO WHEN ANIMAL CONTROL COMES KNOCKING

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby amazincc » August 21st, 2007, 8:53 pm

Evidence of too many dogs??? Sorry, I'm having a blonde moment... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Remington » August 21st, 2007, 8:58 pm

Basically...they can say whatever they want to. I would never think a crate would be "evidence". According to them, it was. Evidence I had a dog? I dont know....I can have as many as I want as long as they are licensed, so that shouldn't be a problem. I consider myself to be "a good citizen". I try to follow the rules, and if I do get in trouble, cooperate. After my "visit", I don't cooperate so much. I contact my attorneys instead.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » August 21st, 2007, 9:16 pm

On August 21 2007, amazincc wrote:Evidence of too many dogs??? Sorry, I'm having a blonde moment... :|

many places (including around here) have a legal limit to the number of dogs and cats you can have in a household, unless you have a kennel license (I believe?).

All the respect in the world to the ACO and Police officers on here, but better safe then sorry; not every law or bylaw enforcement officer is on the level(I have first hand experience of this locally) and I personally would be polite but firm and ask for my warrant. I've run into many many cooperative and fair law enforcement people, but the one or two in my entire life that I've run into that aren't, well, its quite the position of power and can easily be abused in the wrong hands.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Remington » August 21st, 2007, 9:34 pm

I agree. I don't have too many dogs, I believe, but I also live in an area where I can have as many dogs as I would like, as long as they are licensed. I strongly agree with ACO's taking it too far sometimes.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » August 21st, 2007, 9:46 pm

On August 21 2007, 7:58 PM, Remington wrote:Basically...they can say whatever they want to. I would never think a crate would be "evidence". According to them, it was. Evidence I had a dog? I dont know....I can have as many as I want as long as they are licensed, so that shouldn't be a problem. I consider myself to be "a good citizen". I try to follow the rules, and if I do get in trouble, cooperate. After my "visit", I don't cooperate so much. I contact my attorneys instead.

I think that is a great idea!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby gayrghts » August 21st, 2007, 11:14 pm

On August 21 2007, 7:44 PM, Marinepits wrote:Just a reminder --

We have quite a few law enforcement officers and animal control officers as members on this board. Please be respectful of that fact.

Thank you.

Every ACO and or law enforcement officer is different.... some are fine people who do their job well.... others are total idiots...

just because they hold those titles doesnt mean anything different than anyone else... other than that they have a job doing that... and they may know the laws and rules and be able to ad some factual info to this...

It doesnt change someone's experiences... i have police that show up at my job that are not worth their salt and others that are awesome....

same thing goes for nurses... and yes i am one.

i've not seen anyone being disrespectful of them yet... but i'm sure its possible to share about some aco that was an idiot and be disrespectful of them.... and that they deserved it... just like anyone else....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 22nd, 2007, 7:51 am

On Tue, Aug 21 2007, 11:14 PM, gayrghts wrote:Every ACO and or law enforcement officer is different.... some are fine people who do their job well.... others are total idiots...

Agreed.

i've not seen anyone being disrespectful of them yet...

"Yet" being the operative word here and hence my reminder.

but i'm sure its possible to share about some aco that was an idiot and be disrespectful of them.... and that they deserved it... just like anyone else....

Share all you want but IMO there is no reason to be disrespectful to anyone, regardless of circumstances and no matter how much they "deserve" it. I run across my share of idiots virtually everyday but I still treat them respectfully -- why should I lower my standards to meet theirs?

Bottom line is this: several people in this thread have recently come from a forum that allows and encourages anti-cop behaviour and attitudes. That is not tolerated here.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » August 22nd, 2007, 9:27 am

On August 22 2007, 07:51, Marinepits wrote:Bottom line is this: several people in this thread have recently come from a forum that allows and encourages anti-cop behaviour and attitudes. That is not tolerated here.

exactly.

I have a question about the warrent that was obtained based on seeing a single crate on your porch - what exactly were they searching for?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » August 22nd, 2007, 10:06 am

On August 22 2007, 9:27 AM, mnp13 wrote:
I have a question about the warrent that was obtained based on seeing a single crate on your porch - what exactly were they searching for?

Now I am curious what exactly they were looking for :|

I worry about being visited by the ACO just because I have a pit bull. I would never let anyone in without a warrant.

I have crates, a break stick, and a treadmill...though i keep the treadmill in the bedroom so it is not obvious. The ACO is a friend of mine, so I am sure that I have nothing to worry about, we have no leash law, no maximum dog rule, as long as your dogs are licensed and are not a nuisance you are safe in my town, but looking in the window and seeing crates as evidence for obtaining a warrant is crazy!

I am in big trouble with my "paraphanelia" and "crates" if the ACO comes with a warrant
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby gayrghts » August 22nd, 2007, 10:59 am

On August 22 2007, 6:51 AM, Marinepits wrote:
Bottom line is this: several people in this thread have recently come from a forum that allows and encourages anti-cop behaviour and attitudes. That is not tolerated here.

Marinepits.... based on this comment, could you please PM me....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Remington » August 22nd, 2007, 6:42 pm

My entire point is this is "what to do if AC comes". I am sure there are enough dishonest/"not held in the highest regard" people in every profession. I am saying that I was told (by a local ACO) that seeing a crate, could be cause enough for a warrant. That is my entire point.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Remington » August 22nd, 2007, 7:19 pm

Please PM me as well. If there is a problem, you are more than welcome to PM me:) Thanks!
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » August 22nd, 2007, 7:29 pm

On Wed, Aug 22 2007, 7:51 AM, Marinepits wrote:Bottom line is this: several people in this thread have recently come from a forum that allows and encourages anti-cop behaviour and attitudes. That is not tolerated here.

I've said what was needed to be said. Queen Admin mnp13 confirmed this statement. No problem. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » August 22nd, 2007, 7:39 pm

Hmmm... one of the reasons I joined this forum is that it has "standards" and doesn't "allow" personal attacks on members... and widely differing opinions are welcome, as long as respect and courtesy is given to all...
I enjoy discussions here, and have actually learned a thing or three... plus my own opinions have changed on a few things after members took the time to explain their beliefs.
It's all good, everyone... right? :hug3: :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » August 22nd, 2007, 8:23 pm

It's all good! I *think the problem was a miscommunication. It SOUNDED like the ACO had gotten a warrant when they were actually just threatening her with getting one. She got scared & let them in.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Remington » August 22nd, 2007, 8:53 pm

On August 22 2007, 7:23 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:It's all good! I *think the problem was a miscommunication. It SOUNDED like the ACO had gotten a warrant when they were actually just threatening her with getting one. She got scared & let them in.

Is this in response to me?
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » August 22nd, 2007, 8:56 pm

That was in response to the post above mine ( part of it) and to the thread in general

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Remington » August 22nd, 2007, 9:07 pm

Ok, sorry I am confused, and I cant get the PMs to work right now without being timed out (sorry Marine Pit). I was not meaning to get into specific situations, my point was that something that seems to obviously harmless, like a crate, can be a reason for a warrant, according to ACOs. Yes, I had an ACOs come to my house. They were investigating someone, used a few strange excuses like a loose wild dog, like a report they heard, but eventually they told me why they were there (a person they were investigating that I knew). They looked around outside- fine, but they wanted to come inside. I cooperated with them, let them in my house VOLUNTARILY within an hour after I found out they wanted to come in my house, and they cleared everything. I felt I had nothing to hide. I also had questioned them though *no disrespect* (which I told them, but I said I wanted to protect my own rights), if I can say no- what would. They said they could have gotten a warrant within 20 minutes, based on them looking in my window when I wasnt home, and seeing a dog crate. They told me, if I didnt cooperate with them, they could send me to jail for 1 year for every animal I had on the property, as well as a fine for $1,000 per animal. *** AGAIN, I LET THEM IN, THEY SAID EVERYTHING WAS FINE**** I assure you, I did not do anything wrong/anything to suspect me for anything wrong, and I have been cleared. My point here is that, according to them, something as simple as a dog crate, can grant them a warrant. I contacted my attorney over this, but they did not contact my attorney back to discuss it any further.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » August 22nd, 2007, 9:16 pm

On August 22 2007, 8:07 PM, Remington wrote:They said they could have gotten a warrant within 20 minutes, based on them looking in my window when I wasnt home, and seeing a dog crate.

I guess I will "brush up" on the local ordinances/laws around here... I'm glad you didn't get in trouble and it was all cleared up. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » August 23rd, 2007, 6:31 am

I am not bashing the ACO, but Remington, it sounds like they were saying anything that they could to get you to cooperate with their investigation of the other person (???) I am glad that you shared your experience, it lets us all know what could happen if the ACO shows up and what types of things could be said ie: the threat of a warrant based on a visible crate (which is insane, imho) and what we should do.

Being owners of pit bulls, the possibility of a visit is much higher than for the person with the chihuahua, all it takes is a neighbor with a fear of the pit bull to call the ACO.

We all should comply with the rules in our municipality and learn what the rules are so that if, god forbid, a call is made we are in total compliance with all applicable laws...when you register your dog at the town hall you can request a copy of the rules.
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

PreviousNext

Return to ACO Questions and Answers